Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Soldato
It's not only Huawei and ZTE it's all Chinese firms which do business with US companies which can be added. So that means all the Android phones sold outside Samsung and LG as time progresses. BBK covers One Plus,Vivo and Oppo. HND makes Nokia phones. Lenovo is Chinese and owns Motorola.

Soldato
Funny how this was all about 5G Hardware vs Cisco and suddenly Google are forced to do this. Most affected users would, I would suspect decide to switch to Apple at some point rather than sticking to an Eastern made device since they can't differentiate between Chinese and Korean companies.

Soldato
Funny how this was all about 5G Hardware vs Cisco and suddenly Google are forced to do this. Most affected users would, I would suspect decide to switch to Apple at some point rather than sticking to an Eastern made device since they can't differentiate between Chinese and Korean companies.
Except vast parts of the world where people can't afford Apple products - large parts of Asia like India for example.

Soldato
It's not only Huawei and ZTE it's all Chinese firms which do business with US companies which can be added. So that means all the Android phones sold outside Samsung and LG as time progresses. BBK covers One Plus,Vivo and Oppo. HND makes Nokia phones. Lenovo is Chinese and owns Motorola.

To be fair HMD Global who make Nokia phones are Finnish based and Headquartered there so they'll likely be exempt :p They do claim they are an independent Finnish based company haha.

Associate
Seems to be getting really interesting in the phone market , didn’t we hear rumours that Huawei had developed a os a while back plus I have seen Huawei boss say they were expecting a ban from USA for at least 6 months so I reckon we get new os soon enough ....

Soldato
Hell, I'm not even keen on dropping that amount of cash on a phone

Same here,all he is doing is making an excuse for the Chinese to make their own OS and hw which can't be blocked and stopping us in the west getting good value stuff,ie,we will pay more,whereas the rest of the world China will swamp with affordable tech and they will win by default.
To be fair HMD Global who make Nokia phones are Finnish based and Headquartered there so they'll likely be exempt :p They do claim they are an independent Finnish based company haha.

At least that is a ray of light so hopefully they can duck any issues,but even with if we all only got LG and Samsung phones,whats to say there won't be some trade spat with South Korea...and we are back to square one. Also sadly,Samsung seems to not care as much for cheaper models,as they are in a ******* contest with Apple. HTC was screwed over by Apple during the patent wars. LG might be one to consider,but their cheaper models are hit and miss.

Soldato
This is the problem when you let a few oligopolies dominate the tech world (Apple, Google etc.). No effective competition so now everyone suffers because of the whims of America.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not only updates but access to the Google Play store and apps like gmail,YT,etc.

Yeah pretty disastrous down the line if it's a long term ban as it mentions Google Play services thing will affect the future models so at least current ones should be ok.

Frankly this whole thing smells of continuation of the trade war US are having with China. Surely Google can't be happy about this either and being forced to do this?

Soldato
Yeah pretty disastrous down the line if it's a long term ban as it mentions Google Play services thing will affect the future models so at least current ones should be ok.

Frankly this whole thing smells of continuation of the trade war US are having with China. Surely Google can't be happy about this either and being forced to do this?

I wonder if this will embolden the EU?? They have been after Google for "unfair practices" so will it mean that the Google monopoly on preloaded apps will lead to them being forced to ship bare OS phones to other markets, and have one more than one app store??

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just saw the same on Android Authority, massive blow to the company, but maybe they will develop their own os

Wouldn't make any difference outside of China. Europe and US markets will forget about the brand even more than they already are in the mainstream eye. Without Play Store and Google services onboard, any Android phone is as good as a paperweight. This also applies for existing phones like the P30 pro, Mate 20 Pro etc, as future OS updates will omit those apps and services that are Google closed source.

if I had one of those phones today, I'd immutable looks to sell it on eBay or a phone recycling site before they are worth next to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom