google home & wifi coming next month to uk

Soldato
I currently have 2 x Asus RT-AC68U; one running as my main router with wifi and the other connected via Cat5e and PowerLine and acting as an AP. However it's not without it's faults and I'm now considering moving to a more simplified setup.

Associate
Excuse my ignorance... but Google Wifi... is this not just basically an AP like the Ubiquiti products?

If the price i have seen is correct for the wifi (almost 200 per AP) then that sounds overly expensive.

Soldato
£229 for a 2 pack of the Google Wi-Fi APs
£370 for Amplifi HD router + 2 APs
£129 each for UniFi AP Pro

Doesn't seem that bad to me?

Associate
£229 for a 2 pack of the Google Wi-Fi APs
£370 for Amplifi HD router + 2 APs
£129 each for UniFi AP Pro

Doesn't seem that bad to me?

It may not be.. as i said the only quoted price i could find was 200 per AP so 229 quite good for 2 AP's

But there is nothing special about it though? it would do the same as if you were running 2x ap pros just cheaper.

Soldato
If you're a brand whore then I guess you might take the Google wifi product.
I own a single Ubiquity access point which gives me near-perfect WiFi to every corner of the house and out into the garden too.
If the Google devices are so great - why sell them as a pair? Surely if they are so good, then a single pack would be the way to go?

Soldato
I own a single Ubiquity access point which gives me near-perfect WiFi to every corner of the house and out into the garden too.
If the Google devices are so great - why sell them as a pair? Surely if they are so good, then a single pack would be the way to go?

They will be available singularly.

Caporegime

You can buy them in singles.

Soldato
For me, it's between this or the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD. My first choice is the Ubiquiti but it's not released in the UK yet. There are a couple of UK retailers that import them from Europe and sell them here.

Back
Top Bottom