Google MDM or something else?

Soldato
As title, what's peoples thoughts on Google MDM? Do you specifically use something else? Why?

I've been tasked with setting up device management for our increasing fleet of Android tablets, phones and doohickies, with a side portion of iPad/Phone.

There's also the thorny issue of personal devices, where the user has signed into our Google domain account - they don't necessarily need to be locked down too much, only to let us push apps

Thoughts appreciated

Caporegime
If you use G Suite then there's not really a compelling reason to pay for something else to manage Android devices.

Soldato
OP
For the devices we own sure. Bit concerned about the prerequisites for the private devices my users have already signed in with. Got a feeling a lot of people will lose their **** if they are forced to install the Google management app (notification nag), lockscreen etc.

Fwiw all I need to do is push apps for the time being, the device security aspect is of little importance

Caporegime
I know it's your employers' choice but I wouldn't be rushing to deploy an MDM solution that let people use their personal devices, fill them up with corporate data, and then not enforce some sort of device security.

If people want email on their phones but don't want to bother locking them, then they can use webmail. If they need to be able to work on the go then buy them a phone and manage it however you see fit.

You could always apply different policies to a sub-organisation and put those people in there, but if you're just using MDM to distribute apps then it's probably not worth the hassle vs. just sending people links to apps they might want to use.

Back
Top Bottom