Google Mesh and the existing network

Soldato
I thought i'd give google Mesh a go at trying to cut the problems I have in my home wifi situation, big house, old walls, kids etc.

It seems really good, we now have full signal all over and no problems with things like phones clinging onto the weak signal over the stronger access point I used to have upstairs.

Problem is getting my printer working or access to computers from one network to the mesh network.

Can i get them to talk to each other. Google talk about bridging mode but then say you loose mesh, they say to plug printer into the mesh unit but then I think I will not be able to use it on the rest of the network.

Current network is

Virgin Modem in modem mode --> Asus RT-N66U --> wired pc's, ps4, printer, tv's etc
----------------------------------------------------------> Google mesh base unit --> wifi phones, ipads

I think possibly to put the mesh downstream of the asus or maybe I can reconfigure the mesh setup?

Help is appreciated, every one likes the new wifi strength in the house but can't airprint or access the vlc server.

Soldato
OP
So basically I have to dump the asus router for it to work. Tried this following your post, downside is that google block some usenet and torrants so they stop working but then the network does link up as it should.

Then spend an hour getting everything back to how it was this morning as the router threw a fit and everything had jumped ip and was upset.

Hmm, not ideal. I even tried using different dns with google and it still blocked.

Soldato
It's the only straight-forward option.

Any other option will result in double NAT and the sorts of problem you experienced with the devices effectively been spread across two separate networks.

Back
Top Bottom