**** The Official Google Nexus 6P Thread ****

mine will def be returned under warranty as the battery is just pants. i'm just waiting to get closer to the pixel 2 release to ensure that is the phone i want or not, which looks to be announced october the 4th now.

i'm hoping this pixel replacement story is true and comes to uk too in the coming weeks.

Soldato
The Pixel story is true as Google have or are about to run out of replacement 6P's they kept in reserve for warranty replacements. I've 'read' that some UK folks have had 32gb replacements on reddit but haven't a chance of sourcing the thread again. Quite gutted that I choose to replace the battery on mine so I'm fresh out of luck. I absolutely love my 6P and aside from standard battery deterioration I had zero issues on mine so I hope you all get some decent replacements, because Googles attitude in all this has been a farce.

Soldato
Anyone had their goggle icons go small within a white square in Android O? It's really weird and annoying as I can't find apps my icon as easily. Also if you run last pass you get an annoying notification about running in the background. Apart from that O has improved my 6p. Especially battery life

Soldato
Not seen that issue before.

My battery is awful, has been for a while but seems Oreo for me isn't optimising.

I tried logging a replacement with Google after reading that article the other day but as mine has a cracked rear camera glass they won't swap for 6P or Pixel. Annoyingly if I'd known I'd have replaced the glass before logging fault. Now they have it on record. Mehhh

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I too love my 6P. Battery isn't *too* bad yet, had it over 18 months now. I can get down to 10% battery OK but sometimes it shuts off before it hits the lower warnings now. I might attempt a battery swap and just keep it going. It does all I want and does it well.

The white border icons on Oreo for the Google apps is a design choice I think. As each app updates the icon has. Can't fathom why, they were fine before. White boxes are pointless. I presume it's an accessibility based design choice.

Soldato
Installed Oreo earlier. Blimey Google really like to screw up their OS don't they? The icons are a mess at present. Everything is IOS white so you're blinded in no time. Their design choices can be really odd for UI's.
Attempted to install a dark theme using the instructions on XDA (https://www.xda-developers.com/custom-themes-android-oreo-substratum/) - it was a messy 1990's tethered process and it didn't even behave itself properly crashing everytime I untethered my phone from the PC. Eventually did get a theme to apply but have the top navbar UI was not properly themed (reminded me of XP theming with that Stardock program) so I gave up and uninstalled the lot.

At present the Domino's app is FC'ing all over the place but everything else is behaving itself so far. Unlocking speed via fingerprint doesn't seem to be effected and boot times are REALLY fast.

Soldato
This is crazy. Charged this morning, took it off charge and put in pocket and walked to station. Not once looked at and it's already down to 96%. 94‰ while writing this message.

I love this phone but it's now unusable if I'm not near a charger half way through the day.

Soldato
Anyone had their goggle icons go small within a white square in Android O? It's really weird and annoying as I can't find apps my icon as easily. Also if you run last pass you get an annoying notification about running in the background. Apart from that O has improved my 6p. Especially battery life

I have the icons in a white box, notably Inbox, Chrome, Calendar and Camera. Also got that annoying running in the background think for accubattery so had to uninstall that.

My battery now only lasts about 3/4 of the day. This is my last fixed battery phone. LG seem to make replaceable battery models so that will be where i'm looking.

Soldato
Its been less than 12hrs since I plonked on Oreo so I can't talk about battery life just yet but I'm not too pleased overall. Whilst it is nippy like Nougat, animations feel stuttery and Swiftkey sometimes lags when called up - even after wiping the 6P's cache. 'Once' apps get optimised things will be better I guess. Google have really made a mess of the Settings app imo having some sub-menus being collapsable inside a menu entry. Not a fan of the new Battery page in Settings either.

I am already considering a full factory reset (the first since buying the phone on release) or a revert back to Nougat 7.12. The latter looks quite complicated but I'm not really enjoying my Oreo experience so far.

Edit: The Hide "running in the background" Notification app on the app store does what it says very well. I wasn't too pleased with Android system's notifications being hidden so I removed the app earlier.

Soldato
mine is ****ed since the oreo update. not lasting a day at all. often down 30%+ by late morning.

Adclear was murdering my battery at a similar rate after the Oreo update. If you're using that either remove it or wait for it to be updated. I'm using DNS66 instead now and my battery life seems to be roughly back to normal.

Associate
Called Huawei customer services this morning. My phone is making it's second trip to Huawei in about 3 months due to early shutdown problem (dies when battery still has 25-50% charge), last one was for the bootloop issue. Aside from the dodgy battery it's a fantastic phone and I love it. Up side is my 2 year contract is up in a couple of weeks, if Huawei fit a new battery I see no reason why I shouldn't keep it for another year or two so I should be able to change over to a nice cheap sim only contract.

Soldato
Just got mine replaced as the battery was getting silly as well as the camera app shutting it off anywhere from 20%. little chat using the on phone support chat, say you've factory reset and checked all the apps etc and theres no damage to the phone and got a replacement on order.

Within the two year point but quite impressed, ordered a replacement and its shipping tomorrow.

Associate
Just got mine replaced as the battery was getting silly as well as the camera app shutting it off anywhere from 20%. little chat using the on phone support chat, say you've factory reset and checked all the apps etc and theres no damage to the phone and got a replacement on order.

Within the two year point but quite impressed, ordered a replacement and its shipping tomorrow.
Did they say what model you'll be getting and if its a new or refurbished phone?

Back
Top Bottom