**** The Official Google Nexus 6P Thread ****

Soldato
Did they say what model you'll be getting and if its a new or refurbished phone?
order says 64GB graphite 6P refurb, so like for like. We'll see what arrives though but its going to be in a better state than my phone which has lots of pock's/scratches due to grit etc getting in between the phone and case.

Man of Honour
Just got mine replaced as the battery was getting silly as well as the camera app shutting it off anywhere from 20%. little chat using the on phone support chat, say you've factory reset and checked all the apps etc and theres no damage to the phone and got a replacement on order.

Within the two year point but quite impressed, ordered a replacement and its shipping tomorrow.

what's the on-phone chat support?

Soldato
what's the on-phone chat support?
In settings, scroll to the bottom and theres a support option giving you an option of chat or phone from your google account. They ask your problem. ask a few basic questions (what the issue is, have you factory reset, any damage to the phone, have you checked the apps) then ask your EMEI number (and tell you how to get it) and sort out a replacement via advanced order (they send you a new/refurb phone with a full price credit hold on a card until you return your old phone) or normal order (send your phone in, get it processed and then they send out another once issue has been confirmed with no credit hold which takes a bit longer)

link is done via email to set up your order through the normal google store basket and voila.

Soldato
Its been less than 12hrs since I plonked on Oreo so I can't talk about battery life just yet but I'm not too pleased overall. Whilst it is nippy like Nougat, animations feel stuttery and Swiftkey sometimes lags when called up - even after wiping the 6P's cache. 'Once' apps get optimised things will be better I guess. Google have really made a mess of the Settings app imo having some sub-menus being collapsable inside a menu entry. Not a fan of the new Battery page in Settings either.

I am already considering a full factory reset (the first since buying the phone on release) or a revert back to Nougat 7.12. The latter looks quite complicated but I'm not really enjoying my Oreo experience so far.

Edit: The Hide "running in the background" Notification app on the app store does what it says very well. I wasn't too pleased with Android system's notifications being hidden so I removed the app earlier.

Figured it out, an app isn't required.

When you get the background app running notification. Swipe it to the right and tap the gear. Scroll down to "Apps running in the background" and tap it. Then deselect "Show Notification dot".

And that's it, so simple really.

Soldato
Only one problem...that action blocks Android system wide (or play services) notifications. I wasn't too happy with either solution really. Google clearly didn't think it out.

It doesn't, it blocks the "running in the background" notification only.

Soldato
Ok fair do's. I read somewhere on XDA that it was a system wide thing hence why I avoided it.

On another note Nougat is back to normal on the 6P and actually really flying compared to before. Obviously the fresh wipe benefited nicely. Restoring 3.2gb of backup for Whatsapp is taking HOURS though :/

Soldato
It doesn't, it blocks the "running in the background" notification only.

Thanks, I've just tried it and can't seem to get it to work with getting rid of the last pass one. Really annoying

Ok fair do's. I read somewhere on XDA that it was a system wide thing hence why I avoided it.

On another note Nougat is back to normal on the 6P and actually really flying compared to before. Obviously the fresh wipe benefited nicely. Restoring 3.2gb of backup for Whatsapp is taking HOURS though :/

I hate the WhatsApp restore! Lol so annoying

Soldato
I hate the WhatsApp restore! Lol so annoying
The latest beta version allows full storage control over EVERY chat/group so you can prune each open conversation thread of images/videos etc. It is massively useful in trimming down the Whatsapp database. Sadly it cannot do anything about photo heavy groups that have long since been deleted and whatsapp retains all the info on your internal storage still.

I just wanted to start from scratch so I went into the /whatsapp/media folders and deleted everything in /images and /videos to start from scratch again.

Can't quite believe how smooth and slick Nougat is after a fresh install. Not regretting my downgrade one bit!

Soldato
Got the itch to upgrade to a Galaxy S8+ now that it's looking pretty affordable, and my battery and performance is starting to drop (already had one warranty replacement due to battery issues, nothing so bad with this one now but still slow degradation in performance as expected).

Do think I should probably just do a factory reset and I could get another 4-5 months out of it though. By which time the GS8+ will be even cheaper, and the 9 won't be far away.

Caporegime
Wasn't planning on upgrading this year and now that Google have said they'll support the 5X and 6P until November 2018 I might end up keeping it for 4 years. Hope we get Android P even though they previously said we wouldn't before the announcement :)

Back
Top Bottom