Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Associate
For those with FPS issues, I found that the difference between initial setup of FPS and later going in and resetting up was quite big.
To begin with the initial setup had fewer fingerprint confirmations before it saved the fingerprint. Deleting and re-adding the fingerprints also prompted me to use the edge of my fingers which the initial setup neglected to mention.

After removing and re-adding my fingerprints and spending more time focussing on the diagonal tips of my thumbs which normally hit the screen I have found the mid-reads drop right down.

I hope that this helps!

Associate
I use AA and don't have that issue. Usually is cable issues though.

Yeah that was my first thought but I even plugged the P5 back into the same cable before I sold it and didn't have any issues. There are also a couple of similar reports coming through on the official Android Auto forums reporting similar issues with people using the same cable on their older Pixels and not seeing the issues they get on the P6 - https://support.google.com/androida...l-6-pro-not-connecting-to-car-s-display?hl=en

Soldato
It's a bit weird.. I've noticed that it has very low aperture and seems to blur everything out in the background. Very odd, even things that I'm trying to keep in focus have blurred out. Strange behaviour and not something I've experienced in my p5 unless I was in portrait mode.

A larger aperture or larger sensor or mix of both causes more background blur.

The Pixel 5 actually has a larger aperture than the 6 so this itself is not the cause.

Now the image sensor is actually much larger than the old one this is causing things that are not on the same plane to be out of focus.

It basically has a razor thin plane of focus, not getting so close to your subject reduces this effect.

The S21u and OnePlus 8 and 9 have macro mode which negates this issue.

Associate
For those with FPS issues, I found that the difference between initial setup of FPS and later going in and resetting up was quite big.
To begin with the initial setup had fewer fingerprint confirmations before it saved the fingerprint. Deleting and re-adding the fingerprints also prompted me to use the edge of my fingers which the initial setup neglected to mention.

After removing and re-adding my fingerprints and spending more time focussing on the diagonal tips of my thumbs which normally hit the screen I have found the mid-reads drop right down.

I hope that this helps!

Thanks this worked for me. Massive difference. I thought my screen protector was the issue. On initial setup the screen protector was on. It's been really poor, having to press harder on the screen or multiple attempts. Deleting and doing it again it seems to take more data/take more readings.

Soldato
Could any of the people having problem with the FPS possibly try another Pixel? It'd be nice to know if the issues are down to individual units or not.

Well I dont have another Pixel but the same thumb on my S21 Ultra works nearly 100% of the time.

Additionally I have an Xperia mkII for work with a hardware side scanner and again the same thumb works at near 100% of the time.

The P6 Pro is the first time Ive ever been locked out of my banking app because of the number of failed attempts. I tried a few of the improvement methods suggested but nothing worked. Was getting a sub 50% success rate.

Again I dont think there is a hardware issue, I suspect its just not as flexible to different print types, such as ridge depth, finger oil, pressure levels probably because of software implementation.

Samsung's for example is a few generations in now and much better than the S10 version. I suspect the issues I was seeing is because its the 1st gen for Google and will probably improve over time with software updates.

Associate
Had a chance to put the phone through its paces a bit more this weekend, main issues for me at present are:-

• FPS the same as everyone else, it's awful with screen protector but hopefully will improve with updates, using smart lock in the interim
  • Android Auto wired connection randomly disconnects and reconnects 7 or 8 times at the start of every journey, then settles. Also changes from day mode to night mode randomly. Using same cable as Pixel 5 which I've just sold this weekend and worked flawlessly both on Android 11 and 12.

Positives for me are battery life, I'm finding it slightly better than P5, camera is as expected, like the bigger screen even though it's taken a bit to get used to after P5.

I've sold the P5 so this is a keeper and hopefully teething problems will be resolved.

Had same issue with fingerprint after installing spigen glass screen protector. Brilliant cover but kills the fingerprint reader, did same as yourself and have activated trusted devices, my watch and car Bluetooth to unlock it.
Also had issues with Android auto. With previous s10e it would disconnect several times but after a short time would seem to stabilise, the pixel 6 just constantly disconnected. Here however i did try a better quality cable and touch wood it has been solid so far.
For me the biggest improvement over s10e is the camera. My biggest gripe was always pictures taken in low light using flash, e.g. in a pub or house party. Took several in the house the other night using both s10e and pixel 6 and the difference is amazing. A dark shirt in the s10e pic was just totally lacking in detail. On the 6 however you could see every button. Took several videos in low light as well and again it blew the s10e out of the water.
Really pleased to have moved away from Samsung after being with them since galaxy s2 days.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Could any of the people having problem with the FPS possibly try another Pixel? It'd be nice to know if the issues are down to individual units or not.

I've got a Pro (being returned) and non pro (might be returned), both fingerprint scanners are as bad as each other. I've re added my thumbs multiple times and its still not any better, works ok for a few tries then gets gradually worse to the point of not working at all until I re add prints again.

I do wonder if its as least in part to my dry hands/fingers, maybe that has an effect on the reliability or the reader? Out of interest, does anyone else with issues suffer from dry hands?

Soldato
I work as a machinist and have quite rough skin and quite often my skin in marked from cuts and stained from some of the fitting required.

I have to say my fingerprint scanner has been >95% success rate. I will add the initially mine was terrible, but that was me being a dunce and not following the on screen instructions properly going gung ho just adding the centre of my thumb.

Soldato
Going by Reddit:

Step 1: re-add finger print and keep an eye on the screen, the scanner location moves around, also scan the sides as it tells you, basically scan to the instructions. Add 2 scans of the same finger.
Step 2 : disable animations, settings - accessibility - text and display - remove animations

I don't know if the animation part is a Placebo but it feels snappier when unlocking.. of course you miss all those lovely android 12 animations but there's a chance that something funky is going on with FPS + PIXEL 6 + ANIMATIONS.

It is a lot snappier unlocking with step 2 completed, thanks!

Associate
I have dry hands, and have not readded my prints since setting it up on the original build.
My Pro has unlocked every time, though it does definitely feel slightly slower than the OnePlus 7 Pro.

Using the Spigen Neo Flex film.

I think the only times it has not unlocked have been user error, where I have placed my thumb incorrectly and can see the lit white pixels.

Previous Pixels (and Nexus) had Pixel Imprint, which continually updated your prints in the background, accounting for subtle changes. I wonder if this is getting it wrong for some people at the moment, which could explain why it works for some for a while after readding.

Associate
What i don't understand with the fingerprint issue is that the sensor is obviously working when it is able to read your print to register a base pattern yet when it then goes to read your print to unlock phone it doesn't seem able to read it for that purpose. I also noticed that when setting initial print that sometimes the blue circle indicator moves round more than others, not sure if this is indicative of how well or otherwise it is reading reach time.
Hope they get it fixed as it is only marginal down side i have at this point.

Soldato
For those having issues with the AOD displaying inconsistently, or not displaying at all, it's possible it's related to messing with the developer options.
  • To fix, go to Developer options, set "animation duration scale" back to 1x. Should make the fingerprint icon show on the AOD again, and should make unlocking from AOD much more reliable.
I've just changed the setting and it seems like it might be better now, but gonna give it a few hours and do some testing.

Soldato
For those having issues with the AOD displaying inconsistently, or not displaying at all, it's possible it's related to messing with the developer options.
  • To fix, go to Developer options, set "animation duration scale" back to 1x. Should make the fingerprint icon show on the AOD again, and should make unlocking from AOD much more reliable.
I've just changed the setting and it seems like it might be better now, but gonna give it a few hours and do some testing.

I've just done this and hit 10/10 scans to unlock my phone.

Soldato
So it seems like it's related to animations in some way then if disabling them and reducing the time improves it. Hopefully it's something Google will correct with software update ASAP. I can a lot of units returned otherwise.

Associate

How do you access this?

Removing animations helps the FPS but I miss the animations

Back
Top Bottom