Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Holy cow these new Pixels are massive.. really do not understand why the normal Pixel 6 is only marginally smaller than the 6pro. its still bloody massive!

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...6,Google-Pixel-6-Pro/phones/11394,11732,11733

The Pixel 5 is a great size imo, and the Pixel 6 Pro is a great size for people who want a big phone. I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the standard 6. Google would have appealed to a wider audience if they'd made the standard 6 the same size as the Pixel 5. It's not as if Apple has a problem selling millions of 6.1" devices.

Caporegime
The Pixel 5 is a great size imo, and the Pixel 6 Pro is a great size for people who want a big phone. I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the standard 6. Google would have appealed to a wider audience if they'd made the standard 6 the same size as the Pixel 5. It's not as if Apple has a problem selling millions of 6.1" devices.

Thing is, the phones that sell in their masses are the ones with bigger screens - especially on android. Aren't they? I assume so, as google would've had an easy time doing market research.

Samsungs most popular phone as a 6.5" screen.

Soldato
Thing is, the phones that sell in their masses are the ones with bigger screens - especially on android. Aren't they? I assume so, as google would've had an easy time doing market research.
Samsungs most popular phone as a 6.5" screen.

Apple are far and away the biggest seller of premium priced smartphones. The Pro Max is their biggest individual seller (6.7" screen), but the 6.1" iPhone 12 and 12 Pro combined sell far more. Apple also sells a shedload of iPhone 11 (6.1" screen), and plenty of iPhone Minis and iPhone SEs. So one big phone and five small-to-medium devices.

Presumably Google wants a slice of those big time premium sales, yet they've gone for two big devices instead of one big and one mid-sized.

Caporegime
Apple are far and away the biggest seller of premium priced smartphones. The Pro Max is their biggest individual seller (6.7" screen), but the 6.1" iPhone 12 and 12 Pro combined sell far more. Apple also sells a shedload of iPhone 11 (6.1" screen), and plenty of iPhone Minis and iPhone SEs. So one big phone and five small-to-medium devices.

Presumably Google wants a slice of those big time premium sales, yet they've gone for two big devices instead of one big and one mid-sized.

Apple is in a market of their own now, people buy apple phones based off their budget mainly not overall based on phones on the rest of the market - it's been like that for sometime. Google will want sales off Samsung/Xiaomi/Oppo etc.

Soldato
Google will want sales off Samsung/Xiaomi/Oppo etc.

Fair enough - I hope Google come up with the goods this time, even though I've got an iPhone 13 Pro on order (the size of it being one of the primary reasons). The Pixel 5 was within touching distance of being a complete phone, so maybe they can go one better this time.

Soldato
It's too early to say. If the 6a follows previous release schedules then it'll be spring /summer 2022

I'm not sure what Google are thinking when it comes to their 'a' line of phones, and releasing the 5a right up against the 6 is unfathomable.

What's wrong with a yearly release schedule, all in October of:
£1000 Pixel 6/7/8 etc Pro
£750 Pixel 6
£500 Pixel 6a

It's not like the 'a' series are cutting edge in anything, so I can't imagine they require significant design resources.

Soldato
Yeah, next year.

Exactly, and that will be the phone to pick up in my opinion.

I understand different strokes for different folks, but I'm never going to pay £1000 to read my text messages.

My personal rule of thumb is that I'll never pay more for a phone than I did my computer.

Caporegime
Exactly, and that will be the phone to pick up in my opinion.

I understand different strokes for different folks, but I'm never going to pay £1000 to read my text messages.

My personal rule of thumb is that I'll never pay more for a phone than I did my computer.

That's fair, but you have both - most people use their phone more than even the geekiest geek uses their PC.

Back
Top Bottom