Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Your old OnePlus could never sustain that speed. It would have throttled in no time. Plus they use to cheat on scores by loading a different cpu speed profile for benchmarks.

The only way to tell if a phone performs well is when you have it in hand and it meets your own criteria.

Benchmarks for phones are becoming less and less important after a certain threshold which I believe we've surpassed in the flagship space.

That's good to hear. I suppose also google's optimisation should play a big role as well.

Soldato
Your old OnePlus could never sustain that speed. It would have throttled in no time. Plus they use to cheat on scores by loading a different cpu speed profile for benchmarks.

The only way to tell if a phone performs well is when you have it in hand and it meets your own criteria.

Benchmarks for phones are becoming less and less important after a certain threshold which I believe we've surpassed in the flagship space.
Spot on. Benchmarking in general is pointless imo. I've never had issues with my pixels (6 is going to be my 3rd) and had plenty of issues with my OnePlus for e.g.(5,6t,7t and 8t)

Hence the confidence in buying a 6.

Soldato
I never gamed on my phones, so long as I have a snappy and smooth experience I'll be happy.

Also hoping for good haptic feedback, one on my Xperia 5 II is very poor.

Soldato
People moan about the Exnos, I've had a bunch of Samsung phones, S2, S4, S7 and Note 9, even at the end of a 2 year cycle I've never thought the phones are slow or can't play certain games. Think my Note just hit 3 years and is still performing well.

As has been mentioned if you're buying midrange or higher then it's decreasing returns for most people unless you happen to be converting 4k video on a daily basis or something.

Soldato
This. Optimisation and fluidity of the UI is key and not something a benchmark will give a score for. Gone are the days where you have to wait seconds for photos to be captured to storage...

Soldato
Associate
Rang CPW. Useless as normal. Said I would get my refund in 3 to 5 working days. Brought up that I had no cancellation email. They said you will get one from Vodaphone in 3-5 working days when I bought sim free. Clowns. Will just refuse the delivery if it comes I’m not calling anymore. Complained in the only way that matters these days on Twitter

Soldato
Rang CPW. Useless as normal. Said I would get my refund in 3 to 5 working days. Brought up that I had no cancellation email. They said you will get one from Vodaphone in 3-5 working days when I bought sim free. Clowns. Will just refuse the delivery if it comes I’m not calling anymore. Complained in the only way that matters these days on Twitter

They sound like they don't have a clue. Not exactly encouraging for one of the biggest phone retailers in the UK really. Surely a refund should be very very simple.

Soldato
I don't really have enough knowledge in this but people seemed to be underwhelmed. From my perspective multi-core score is the same as my 2.5 year old oneplu 7 pro. I would have wanted better performance from a phone that is 2.5 years newer.

On the other hand I suppose people expected that google first try at mobile cpu will not be blowing away people's minds but still. For Pixel 6 this bench is great but for 6 pro the mark up is bit harder to justify knowing that score.

Just to compare, the OP7 uses a SD 855, using 4 A76 (2.84GHz on one, 2.42GHz on the others) and 4 A55 cores (1.8GHz). Anandtech reports Tensor running 2 X1 cores (2.8 GHz), 2 A76 cores (2.25GHz) and 4 A55 (1.8GHz). It makes sense the multi doesn't improve much from the SD855 as the efficiency cores are pretty much the same, while the middle cores on the Tensor is clocked lower, and that lost performance is then made up with the X1 cores.

Honestly I feel this could be a better balance, the heaviest game I play on mobile is Genshin and it doesn't make full use of all 4 high performance cores anyway, having 2 stronger cores will benefit me better.

Even then, for other usages, I feel like we've reached the point where CPU performance no longer matters. For the the average user GPU performance and ML performance are the ones that matters more now.

Edit: Did a quick run on my OP7T Pro: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/10546910

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't dealt with CPW since the LG Optimus 2X.

There are other good retailers I've chosen since then.

If a company can't cancel an order easily well before it's dispatched, with confirmation, well they are incompetent.

Back
Top Bottom