Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Got my 6 today. Feels pretty similar to my OnePlus Nord to be fair but with a camera upgrade. Not really noticed the speedier CPU yet and still getting reused to some of the pixel bits . (Was on a pixel 2 before the Nord)

Associate
I think that'll be why.. explains why it's taking longer.
Just used the support chat and got told this....
"Looks like I do not see any changes with your order's delivery date and you can still expect to have your order delivered to you by October 27, 2021.
Kindly wait for the follow up email for the tracking number of you package"

Maybe............Just Maybe, I doubt it though :D

Soldato
Wow p6 is a big boy! Massive compared to p5, will take a while to get used.

Finger print scanner is shocking too, and I had 6t etc early attempts at it. This is worse!

Having an actual scanner on the back or built into the side button works so well, I'm really not sure who asked for these in screen ones... My wife has an S21 and it works fine but I would still prefer the other options.

Soldato
Read an interesting review that focused more on the day to day use than tech specs and the gist was that the 6 was 'better' unless you really need a zoomy camera.
I recall having a phone with a curved screen before and finding it annoying when text etc was off on the curve.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.computerworld.com/article/3637971/pixel-6-vs-pixel-6-pro.amp.html
That's a good read, thanks.

Couple of points resonated with me - the curved screen. My Mate 20 pro has a curved screen and I've used it for about 20 mins out the case, purely because it's incredibly slippery, and the thin, polished bezels don't help with that at all. Using it out the case just now and I 100% agree with that article.

Youtube now lets you choose up to 4k videos even on a 1080p device so the advantages of better bitrate with loading a 1440p video are rendered moot.

And the telephoto lens. I did use mine a bit on my Mate 20 pro, but only to try and get a bit of DOF on some shots. If I want to do that properly, well, I have a M43 camera and F1.8 lens for that which no phone camera is going to be able to touch.

Result? Sod the Pro, it's probably not worth the extra £250. Pixel 6 Stormy Grey 128GB ordered. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a good play with the camera vs OnePlus 9 Pro.

All I can say is gone are the days that Pixel was head and shoulders above the competition at stills and night shots.

Google needs some time to figure out this new sensor I think. And also night mode exposes for far too long making the resulting images soft.

Overal it's an okay start but not what I was hoping for.

Soldato
I'm really not sure who asked for these in screen ones...

This is honestly making me wonder if I might send it back. (Along with the size and weight I guess) Aside it not being as reliable, it's just a better position on the back... Lying in bed, pick the phone up, your holding it face to you, thumb and middle finger on each side, lying on your back, then you have to shift your thumb to the screen to try and unlock without dropping the massive weight on your face... Who decided this was a good idea?!

Soldato
This is honestly making me wonder if I might send it back. (Along with the size and weight I guess) Aside it not being as reliable, it's just a better position on the back... Lying in bed, pick the phone up, your holding it face to you, thumb and middle finger on each side, lying on your back, then you have to shift your thumb to the screen to try and unlock without dropping the massive weight on your face... Who decided this was a good idea?!

Yep, I've always preferred it on the back, works perfectly as my finger just naturally falls to that position when I pick up the phone. Then again some people moan about it being on the back as you can't unlock it when it's flat on a desk, so I think there are mixed views on this.

I'm finding it very reliable at reading my finger print so far, if a tad slow compared to my old physical one.

Associate
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/26/camera-comparison-iphone-13-pro-max-vs-pixel-6-pro/

Good review from what you'd expect to be a biased apple reviewer. Basically pixel v iPhone is more or less as good as each other when it comes to photos with one being better than the other in certain situations. Not bad considering the price differences.

From a few pages back, this is longer and very good at highlighting the small differences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmlZMzM4Pq4

Now, if Google implements portrait mode with the zoom lens with a software patch, it leaves it lagging with the front camera and night sight (according to the page above)

Back
Top Bottom