Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Well it arrived on Monday, first thoughts were “this is huge” and “it’s heavy” – but it’s been quite a joy to use thus far, though I’m still getting to grips with the new features of Android 12 – the gestures are completely different to the ones I used on my S9+ so having to stop and think on occasion.

A couple of things that were a bit of a downer (for me) compared to my S9+ – the speakers seem quieter, though on the flip-side the sound quality is better. Secondly, the display isn’t as vibrant – both in terms of brightness and colour; side-by-side the Pixel seems to look dull and has a bit of a yellow tinge, I find I have to boost brightness up to 70% to match the S9+ at around 45%. Mind you, the battery life has been amazing!

Mind you, for £370 I’m not going to moan much :D Just have the hassle of dealing with Vodafone now, and getting them to cancel the new contract, so I can get a nice cheap SIM only again… it’s been a couple of hours trying to get this sorted now though!

Edit: AMAZING! So I can't cancel my new contract with vodafone and change ot SIM only, I only have the option of immediate disconnection, or getting a PAC code to go elsewhere.... all because I have paid off the handset! So I shall be leaving Vodafone after some 8 or 9 years with them, oh well, I get to go and find a new mobile supplier now I guess.

Last edited:
Associate

....Secondly, the display isn’t as vibrant – both in terms of brightness and colour....

If your pixel is anything like my 4a 5G, in the display settings, menu there should be a setting 'Colours' , options being Natural, Boosted & Adaptive. Just in case you missed it.
Even on boosted my Pixel is not exactly over saturated though.

Soldato
Traded the Bose 700 for the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro.

They're excellent. Strong ANC, dual drivers for greater accuracy and best of all they're in ears so none of that bulk. Super customisable via app too in terms of eq and playback controls. Seriously impressed.

Associate
Having a few issues with my Pixel 6, hoping some will be resolved with the update. Anyone else notice any of these???

Wifi hotspot is really unreliable. Devices disconnect randomly or just fail to connect to pages or apps even though I have a decent signal and can browse via 4g on the pixel itself.
Video calling quality is horrendous in low light using the front camera. It's extremely blurry in both WhatsApp and Duo
Video calling preview is really zoomed in on my face, looks like 2x zoom!
Front camera really over processes photos in certain lighting conditions so doesn't look natural
Loud Speaker output seems quite poor for calls and just isn't quite loud enough.

It's a real shame because other than those few things I actually really like the phone.

Soldato
I seen Monday mentioned.

Yeah me too. Haven't seen a source for that, but I've seen it mentioned in plenty of places.

Strikes me as strange that Google would prioritise their older phones for the update first, but I can only assume they've had unforeseen issues with the P6 and P6 Pro.

Soldato
At some point it makes sense to master the gestures, 3 buttons takes up a bit of screen, mussel memory kicks in after a few days of frustration

Completely disagree! I had mastered it in the sense of I automatically knew what to do, and how to swipe - but I implore you to try and send an image over WhatsApp and resize it in the horizontal dimension without going back :p

Worth mentioning that 3 button mode was/is new to me too - I had gesture controls on my old Huawei, but the gestures were all implemented on a physical button at the bottom of the phone, not on the screen which worked far better than the on screen gestures or this 3 button workaround!

Soldato
The gestures weren't the issue, more the UI of other apps requiring you to do movements which was interpreted by the OS as a gesture.

Ah, you mean reducing the size by pulling the edge of the image which is inadvertently then gesturing? If so, then yes I understand now. In my personal experience, I can't remember the last time I experienced something like that. I find gestures much more intuitive than buttons.

Back
Top Bottom