Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
I wouldn't be buying one that's for sure . Not just because of the issues but the actual support has been appalling

Customer service again lastnight just told me "we are aware of the problem please keep waiting"

I've had the 'fix' pushed which is new operator settings and it's still not working. I did just actually see a 4g connection in my house for first time in 5 days but it was short lived. Connection on same sim is fine in my ancient pixel 2 or cheapo OnePlus Nord

Soldato
You may or may not be able to actually use it as a phone.

I've had no issues with mine but it seems to be 50/50 on whether you get signal issues or not at the minute.

I wouldn't be buying one that's for sure . Not just because of the issues but the actual support has been appalling

Customer service again lastnight just told me "we are aware of the problem please keep waiting"

I've had the 'fix' pushed which is new operator settings and it's still not working. I did just actually see a 4g connection in my house for first time in 5 days but it was short lived. Connection on same sim is fine in my ancient pixel 2 or cheapo OnePlus Nord

Which phone would you recommend in the same price bracket as the pro in that case? I don't follow mobile phone news that closely so don't really know what is available or what I should be getting.

Associate
I've pretty much made up my mind to get a Pixel 6 Pro. The price is a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I need a new phone, and the features look amazing. Is there anything I should know before I buy one?

My 6 pro and my wife's 6 are both working perfectly. No connectivity issues at all and I think this is the best phone I've had. It's strange that others are clearly having a very different experience.

Soldato
Well, the Gestures are failing daily now - a reboot will solve it, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a few hours! When they fail the phone won't rotate to landscape, the double tap on the back does nothing either; though I can still navigate through gestures.

Hoping it’s a software issue, but it’s a pretty poor show imo – I would be ****** if I had paid full price for this.

Soldato
Which phone would you recommend in the same price bracket as the pro in that case? I don't follow mobile phone news that closely so don't really know what is available or what I should be getting.
I really don't know I feel like I was waiting for the 6 for ages and was going to get it no matter what. It had been a great phone until this December update but the way they are dealing with the issues is not what I expected . The software and support is what made me go back to pixel after a spell with OnePlus so that probably makes it more disappointing. I mean OnePlus where bad at updates too but the phone was half the price

Man of Honour
Well, the Gestures are failing daily now - a reboot will solve it, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a few hours! When they fail the phone won't rotate to landscape, the double tap on the back does nothing either; though I can still navigate through gestures.

Hoping it’s a software issue, but it’s a pretty poor show imo – I would be ****** if I had paid full price for this.
RMA it, sounds more like there's an issue with the hardware gyro. Failures happen, not sure it's a reason to write the phone off as a poor show.

Associate
I must admit that my pixel 6 experience has been a disappointment. My first was defective as the rear camera just showed a black display and an error message.
Google exchange was dreadful. It used to be brilliant but it took several calls and weeks to exchange.
Second one has arrived and the fingerprint sensor keeps not working. It doesn't even light up to try and read your print. I have to keep rebooting the phone and then it works for a day or 2 again :(

Soldato
I'm quite torn about the P6 to be honest. On one hand, it's shiny new hardware that has clearly had a lot of effort put into it. The haptics and speakers are great, and it's really fast. On the other hand, I feel like a beta tester who has paid to be part of a beta test. Everyone expects the odd issue with new phones - I remember the 'volumegate' issue on the Galaxy Nexus (10 years ago - how time flies!), but for Google's first real push at proper premium hardware I expected better.

When I got the phone, I spent a few weeks with it but the bugs irritated me and I went back to my P5. When the (delayed) December update finally launched, I went back to the P6 thinking I'd give it another go, and now we have the signal issue to contend with. So I'm thinking of going back to my P5 again. Honestly, it's like being a Tottenham fan; the constant hope that this year, maybe, maybe, might be our year... and it never quite is :(. Fortunately Google should be able to fix most of the software issues with OTA updates... whereas no-one quite seems to know what the magic formula at Spurs is :(

Soldato
I'm quite torn about the P6 to be honest. On one hand, it's shiny new hardware that has clearly had a lot of effort put into it. The haptics and speakers are great, and it's really fast. On the other hand, I feel like a beta tester who has paid to be part of a beta test. Everyone expects the odd issue with new phones - I remember the 'volumegate' issue on the Galaxy Nexus (10 years ago - how time flies!), but for Google's first real push at proper premium hardware I expected better.

When I got the phone, I spent a few weeks with it but the bugs irritated me and I went back to my P5. When the (delayed) December update finally launched, I went back to the P6 thinking I'd give it another go, and now we have the signal issue to contend with. So I'm thinking of going back to my P5 again. Honestly, it's like being a Tottenham fan; the constant hope that this year, maybe, maybe, might be our year... and it never quite is :(. Fortunately Google should be able to fix most of the software issues with OTA updates... whereas no-one quite seems to know what the magic formula at Spurs is :(

Pixel 6 is the phone that pushed me to ios. And I have not had an iPhone since 4s which even then was a work phone. I simply got tired with the constant issues.

Signal is fine on iPhone in the same spots my p6 was bad.

I'd say Android is a bit more polished in main areas.. Keyboards, notifications etc all weird on ios. I can get over that as I still have fast unlock and good signal.

Add good battery life, great cameras and I'm probably going to stick with this for a while. I still have my p6 sitting here as I really do want to like the phone but these bugs need quick fixes not monthly updates that are delayed for no reason. Having no signal literally renders the device useless in this case.

Associate

I have had the same issues with auto rotate not working and double tap on back, that i had set to take a screen print, not working. Both issues resolved for a while by rebooting.
I do currently have very low signal strength following the update but as i am working from home i can live with it at the moment but it obviously needs to be resolved, and quick.
Overall however i am loving my pixel 6. I have had Samsung's from s2 up to s10e and latterly basically hated the camera. Poor light shots indoors were dreadful.
The camera on the p6 i love. Pictures taken under the same conditions as the s10e are so much better that even my wife prefers them and she really hated the pics from s10e.
Magic eraser is brilliant at improving so many pictures.
Once the remaining small bugs are fixed and if they manage to get it working like an actual mobile phone when away from wi-fi then i am really happy to have moved from Samsung.

Soldato
I have had the same issues with auto rotate not working and double tap on back, that i had set to take a screen print, not working. Both issues resolved for a while by rebooting.
I do currently have very low signal strength following the update but as i am working from home i can live with it at the moment but it obviously needs to be resolved, and quick.
Overall however i am loving my pixel 6. I have had Samsung's from s2 up to s10e and latterly basically hated the camera. Poor light shots indoors were dreadful.
The camera on the p6 i love. Pictures taken under the same conditions as the s10e are so much better that even my wife prefers them and she really hated the pics from s10e.
Magic eraser is brilliant at improving so many pictures.
Once the remaining small bugs are fixed and if they manage to get it working like an actual mobile phone when away from wi-fi then i am really happy to have moved from Samsung.

Just on the blower to Vodafone now, see if I can sort a straight swap at my local store, as I don't want to be without a phone over Christmas.

Had to reboot three times today to clear the faults, and it's presently doing it - the level on the camera shows a tilt of 8 degrees and won't move.

Associate
Just on the blower to Vodafone now, see if I can sort a straight swap at my local store, as I don't want to be without a phone over Christmas.

Had to reboot three times today to clear the faults, and it's presently doing it - the level on the camera shows a tilt of 8 degrees and won't move.

Tried a factory reset just in case?

Associate

The tilt on the camera is a strange one. First i have read about that issue. Good luck with the swap out, hope they go with it. Cheers.

Soldato
The tilt on the camera is a strange one. First i have read about that issue. Good luck with the swap out, hope they go with it. Cheers.

When the issues arise I lose the ability to change the orientation of the phone – so photos end up having to be rotated manually, I also cannot double tap the back of the phone, nor can I use the shake gesture to cycle between front/rear cameras. Today I noticed that the ‘spirit level’ on the rear camera, shows it is now stuck on 8 degrees.

Shockingly, Vodafone were pretty helpful – giving the choice of swapping in store (though they couldn’t hold stock for more than 48 hours), or getting one sent out, to be swapped at the door; allegedly DPD will be dropped it off Friday at the latest…

Here’s hoping that Pixel number two doesn’t die a quick death like this one! Bring back the reliability/build quality of the Nexus 4, or original Pixel, both I had zero issues with.

Back
Top Bottom