Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Got my Pixel 6 Pro yesterday after much uncertainty, I know it's only a small amount of time but so far I haven't experienced any bugs and all seems to be working well.

What is the best way to go about ad blocking on this device? Do I need to root or is there an easier way.

Soldato
Got my Pixel 6 Pro yesterday after much uncertainty, I know it's only a small amount of time but so far I haven't experienced any bugs and all seems to be working well.

What is the best way to go about ad blocking on this device? Do I need to root or is there an easier way.

Go to Settings -> Network and Internet -> Private DNS, select Private DNS provider hostname and add dns.adguard.com .

Just bare in mind this may not work with all apps depending on how the ad is delivered. For YouTube, there's Vanced or NewPipe. For browsers, most of them include an adblocker except for Chrome. Firefox and Kiwi allows uBlock Origin which will provide better blocking.

Associate
I think I'd disagree. Obviously there are some things a DSLR can do that a Pixel can't, but I actually think there are things a Pixel can do that I don't think DSLR's do yet, which is around the computational photography. I wonder how long until Google makes a DSLR?

Honestly, a lot of the time for most photos people take, I think people would struggle to see the difference between a DSLR and a Pixel.

The difference for me is the Pixel needs the computational stuff to produce 'better' photos, that's how it gets around its limitations and it's a wonderful solution for most users because they aren't going to be importing raws with a dedicated work flow etc.

It could be argued a DSLR is the opposite of this, requiring more time but granting you full control but does it matter? There's pros who use disposables and get the results they want; I think anyone who finds a solution that works for them is doing something right.

Soldato
An update on my battery issues.

Yesterday I had WiFi off all day and the battery only lasted to around 18:00 and then needed charged, and that was from a 100% charge in the morning. Today, I've had WiFi on all day and from the same start I'm currently at 78% battery. SOT has been similar each day.

So, it's clearly mobile network that is destroying the battery level, and I suspect it might be 5G related. I just thought I'd share for feedback purposes as I know a few people have mentioned battery issues.

I actually don't use mobile internet much at all, and it's just as well with this POS phone.

Soldato
I don't really get 5G here and my battery is fine so you might be correct.

In all honesty, the 5G network is still pretty patchy in a lot of areas so it may be working more than normal to keep searching for 5G as it comes and goes?

Of course, you might have excellent 5G everywhere you go and I'm talking crap :cry:

The only way to know would be to stay in an area with full excellent 5G coverage so the phone is not working hard to keep on it and see if you get better results.

Personally I have had no issues with the phone and think it's fantastic especially given the price point (standard P6)

Associate
No battery issues for me on standard Pixel 6 but then again my SIM plan is 4G only. The only thing draining my battery was Fitbit app, changed it to "Optimized" from "Unrestricted" in battery settings and all was fine.

Soldato
If anyone remembers my ridiculous back and forths with Google support in December including doing a couple of bug reports... Which I would assume showed nothing other than my phone just not having a signal :p

I think my last contact with them was a frustrating "I've gone back to the November software and won't be buying anything Google on release day anymore". That was after they pushed me a network settings fix that didnt work

Well I got this yesterday
Hi,

I hope you're doing well.

Thank you for your help with troubleshooting this issue. The extra information and bug reports you provided helped our engineers find the root cause and implement a fix in the software that started rolling out to phones on January 14th.

Check for updates by going to Settings > System > System Update to make sure you are on the latest version.

We would like to give you $100 Google Store Credit to use for your next purchase on the Google Store. Thank you for being a Pixel customer.
Thanks!
Jasper
The Google Support Team

Soldato
Yes I'm easily bought.

Plus my phone has been working since the Jan update which is always a bonus . The fps even works most of the time. Still slow compared to others I've used but atleast it works

Soldato
Yes I'm easily bought.

Plus my phone has been working since the Jan update which is always a bonus . The fps even works most of the time. Still slow compared to others I've used but atleast it works

$100, nice! Easily buys you a case and the wireless charger, or some Pixel Bud A's. Love that.

Associate
In the dialler enter *#*#4636#*#*, then go to Phone information and under "Set preferred network type" select LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA.

Or you could just do it from the GUI i
Internet settings , mobile provider, set preferred network to 4g.

I did this a while back and no network issues since, I'm on WiFi most of the time so not bothered.

Must say the phone is getting better, as Google decoupled a lot of modules from one large monolithic update, a lot of improvements come from updating pixel specific apps from the play store.

They started doing this on Android 11 or 12, must say my phone has gotten much smoother with these updates, this is why the monthly updates are small.

Make sure you keep an eye on the updates of Google apps via Playstore, a lot our pixel specific apps

Back
Top Bottom