Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Associate
I must admit I'll be slightly miffed if the pixel 6 pro gets face unlock and the regular 6 doesn't.
I got the 6 as I prefer the flat screen and also the fingerprint reader can only be described as dreadful. The amount of times I have to put my pin in is absurd.

Soldato
Hmmm perhaps I picked it up wrong:

Source
The weird thing is that hardware-wise, the Pixel 6 and the Pixel 6 Pro are similar in their front-facing cameras, but apparently, only the Pro will get face unlock. There is no additional hardware for face scanning such as Google’s Soli technology that debuted on the Pixel 4, nor is there an IR camera either. Both devices have slightly different front-facing cameras, with the Pixel 6 packing an 8MP camera and the Pixel 6 Pro packing an 11MP camera… but they’re still just cameras with no additional hardware. However, the report from 9to5Google explicitly states that Google’s intentions are to bring it to the Pixel 6 Pro only.

Soldato
I'm sure there may be a technical reason that the Pro can get it and the standard 6 can't but it escapes me at the moment.

It was because the pro has dual pixel auto focus on the front cam if I remember correctly.

No AF on the 6.

Looking at Google’s current generation of Pixel phones, the front-facing camera on the 6 Pro has a higher/greater megapixel count (11.1 vs. 8MP), field of view (94 vs. 84 degrees), aperture (ƒ/2.2 vs ƒ/2.0), and pixel width (1.22 vs 1.12μm) when compared to that of the regular Pixel 6. However, the most important difference is how the Sony IMX663 found on Google’s larger phone supports dual-pixel auto-focus system (DPAF), while the IMX355 on the smaller model does not.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with my OnePlus, but it's three years old now and you know how it is, want something new and shiny to play with :p

Camera has always been pretty average on the OnePlus though. That's something I'd like to address with my next phone.

Soldato
There's also the 18W vs 23W charging, as well as the 6a having no wireless charging. Apart from that, if you don't mind those differences, 6a looks like a decent "compact" option. But that price drop does make the 6 an absolute bargain.

Meanwhile, I just realised after months what was causing the weird crackling/pop noises on the speakers. It was adaptive sound. I remember turning it on when it became available but didn't clock it was the reason. Turned it off and there's no more speaker issues.

Back
Top Bottom