• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Digital foundry said that taking in to account the screen response time, the Stadia should give exactly the same input lag as an Xbox one X connected directly in to a modern 2018 OLED TV!

They said good things about the latency on the earlier tests too but that was like playing under water.

Soldato
Main bit of info I wanted was price.

I keep hearing good things about Shadow. But at £27/month to play games I own, it's a big nope.

Soldato

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This is great news. Up to 8k res and 120fps is planned too. Ultimately the overall experience will boil down to only two things for the gamer. The screen they play on, and their internet connection.

I wonder how this will affect actual console and PC gaming sales, local hardware will start to become obsolete as more developers turn to the power of Google's cloud power. Creytek's next engine runs on it too and they showed off realtime raytracing not long ago.

Count me in TBH. If I don't need to keep on top of buying expensive physical hardware and accessories for console and/or PC gaming but instead just one wireless pad and have a decent internet line, then I'm all for it.

This is ultimately the future of gaming.

Soldato
They said the same thing about mainframes and dumb terminals back at the dawn of computing.

No I know it's happening, it's too attractive to the platform holders and publishers. But it's a while off ready, I would be amazed if Google can pull it off.

Also, monthly fee for stuff you can't own and Google can turn off when they decide it's not profitable enough. Yay

Soldato
They said the same thing about mainframes and dumb terminals back at the dawn of computing.

Companies have been trying to push cloud gaming for nearly a decade, it's slow going and most of them have been unsuccessful.
I'm sure it'll get there in some form eventually but people need to stop pushing the idea, every time there's an idea that this is the one.

There's a truck load of arguments for why it's not great idea.

Also the idea that these corporations are going to give you gaming performance hardware at a pitiful low monthly cost doesn't seem sustainable, it's not just the hardware, it's the internet demands, location, electric/AC, security, staff.
All so johnny no friends can stream a few games because he can't afford a console or pc, or is on the move/etc. Look how much it costs just to get a single person a decent frame-rate and a decent resolution that's not all set to low graphics; now they want to add all the back-end to it as well?

But yeah, one day - I just see google giving up on this like they do everything.

Soldato
Never going to work with the ****** internet infrastructure we have over here. Over a decade into the 21st century and I still don't have access to fibre of any flavour, and it's not like I live in the sticks either- I'm in a large city.

Man of Honour
Never going to work with the ****** internet infrastructure we have over here. Over a decade into the 21st century and I still don't have access to fibre of any flavour, and it's not like I live in the sticks either- I'm in a large city.

Is this where I post about my 10Gb/10Gb connection half way up a mountain for £25 a month again? :p

Man of Honour
Really interesting stuff the cloud technology. I spoke to someone at, lets say an obvious cloud computing competitor, and they were adamant that it was much more efficient to do all the processing outside the home.

Should be interesting about the latency. I just don’t think they’d do it if it was completely crap.

Soldato
“4K” and “60fps”
Indeed, but concerns with this will be:
  • Image quality. Resolution and FPS are just numbers and only a part of the overall quality.
  • Connection quality/speed required
  • Lag (network, input and overall)
  • Privacy. It’s google, they’re data harvesters.
  • Another step further in game ownership, you’ll not actually hold the game locally.

Back
Top Bottom