• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Google Stadia cloud gaming services uses AMD custom chip

Associate
For some reason this idea gives me the creeps. I also have serious reservations about the internet itself being able to acceptably handle it for a long time to come. "What's that? It's 6pm-10pm? Or a weekend? No playable gaming for you then!"

I suppose the whole subscription based non-ownership aspect is the creepy thing, similar to the whole driverless cars that no one owns idea.

Input lag is again a huge issue, especially with PCs where enthusiasts have had low input latency monitors and peripherals marketed at them for some time. It certainly would be interesting to see a major corporation try reverse-brainwashing/marketing for once to tell us how cutting edge latency isn't important anymore.

What would be even more interesting is an enormous corporate war between this streaming paradigm versus the stake holders in the 'old ways' of owning and selling hardware to the consumer.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Time will tell, not a fan of this kind of thing myself, but if google with there huge amounts of money make it work for single player games and price it right, it might just work where others have failed due to the greed from Nvidia who have a huge market share. I would reluctantly use it until prices came down.

Soldato
It is interesting. Not sure I'd be up for a Netflix style you don't own your games sort of thing and you are limited to only the games that the service offers. But I think the Microsoft xcloud using all the Xbox services thing has a chance of actually succeeding perhaps if they frame right. By that I meant that you pay for Xbox live it comes free with it where you can access all your games that you own digitally anywhere using xcloud. Can't imagine additional cost for it would work, despite the cost of the undertaking to Microsoft.

Soldato

MASSIVE loss for AMD. Not surprised it last for just 3 years and nobody used Stadia to play cloud games.

This looks like a massive win for Nvidia's Geforce Now who will be 7 years old on 1 October since launched back in 2015. :cool:

Soldato

MASSIVE loss for AMD. Not surprised it last for just 3 years and nobody used Stadia to play cloud games.

This looks like a massive win for Nvidia's Geforce Now who will be 7 years old on 1 October since launched back in 2015. :cool:

AMD right now

woody-harrelson-wipe.gif

Soldato

Yes, massive, think of all the 20 people who used Stadia...

If only there was another huge market like consoles out there so that they could claw back the loss of no-one-cares-Stadia, oh wait there is...

:D

Soldato
no way this was gonna compete with geforce now. when nvidia makes the gpus and google has to buy them from someone its not gonna end well for google.
if amd did the cloud gaming thing themselves there is a chance of success.

Caporegime
no way this was gonna compete with geforce now. when nvidia makes the gpus and google has to buy them from someone its not gonna end well for google.
if amd did the cloud gaming thing themselves there is a chance of success.

Cloud gaming has room to grow but its never going to be anything like as big as PC or Console Gaming, nor should we want it to be, gaming as a remote service is not good. Not only are you paying for the games, you're also paying a recurring fee to access them.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
With electric prices up cloud gaming becomes more viable for some. No need to have a 700w or more pull when you can use a 20w client to cloud game on like shield tv etc etc.

Indeed. My Steam Deck is getting a lot of use right now. About 15-25W in use I think.

Don’t have decent broadband at present so cloud gaming was never going to be an option for me anyway but I’m not surprised that Stadia has died a death.

Caporegime
Indeed. My Steam Deck is getting a lot of use right now. About 15-25W in use I think.

Don’t have decent broadband at present so cloud gaming was never going to be an option for me anyway but I’m not surprised that Stadia has died a death.

You and most others.

And i repeat, with cloud gaming you buy the game from Steam, as you normally would, and then you pay a recurring fee to access it.

Soldato
Yes, massive, think of all the 20 people who used Stadia...

If only there was another huge market like consoles out there so that they could claw back the loss of no-one-cares-Stadia, oh wait there is...

:D
Think more than 20 people who used Stadia...

Could be up to 1 or 2 million Stadia users included 119,000 Stadia users on reddit.

Back
Top Bottom