• No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am actually happy that Stadia is out. Right now I have zero interest or intention of getting it, but if it can help shake up the industry it will be good. Imagine if developers start making games that look MUCH better on Stadia vs what you can say get on the PC with your 4 figure graphics card? Won’t take long for such a thing to start helping push graphics card prices down.

Caporegime
OP
What they need to do is to get developers making games that do things that won't be possible elsewhere rather than just prettier graphics. e.g. on Tom Clancy's Breakpoint (I think that's the one) you can view your teammates' cameras in realtime. That wouldn't be possible anywhere else apart from Stadia.*

*Well it would be except you'd be running into potential issues with users' internet upload capability which could result in blank screens or lots of lag.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What they need to do is to get developers making games that do things that won't be possible elsewhere rather than just prettier graphics. e.g. on Tom Clancy's Breakpoint (I think that's the one) you can view your teammates' cameras in realtime. That wouldn't be possible anywhere else apart from Stadia.*

*Well it would be except you'd be running into potential issues with users' internet upload capability which could result in blank screens or lots of lag.
I don't play online so don't care about that kind of thing personally. I am just hoping for it to aid in lowering graphics cards prices :p

Soldato
Haha, you definitely need to reign in your hype.
In no way are consoles looking old hat.

Being a Google product, if it doesn't take off quickly then they'll drop support and kill it off.

Soldato
Haha, you definitely need to reign in your hype.
In no way are consoles looking old hat.

Being a Google product, if it doesn't take off quickly then they'll drop support and kill it off.
The last of us 2 reveal trailer has 4.9 million views in 2 days... so yeah consoles are still very much doing well. :p

Associate
So I gather you can play games anywhere on any device with Stadia, so take a mobile phone for example, wouldn't you need a phone plan with lots of data?

All you need is Chrome browser installed as well as a compatible device (I believe they are looking at Apple iOS support) to effectively view the service as it streams to your device, it is integrated with YouTube.

It is recommended to have high bandwidth available for the best experience..

"Stadia will require at least 10 Mbit/s for 720p 60 FPS Stereo, 20 Mbit/s for 1080p HDR Video 60 FPS 5.1 Surround, and 35 Mbit/s for 4K HDR Video 60 FPS 5.1 Surround."

Shawrey

Soldato
All you need is Chrome browser installed as well as a compatible device (I believe they are looking at Apple iOS support) to effectively view the service as it streams to your device, it is integrated with YouTube.

It is recommended to have high bandwidth available for the best experience..

"Stadia will require at least 10 Mbit/s for 720p 60 FPS Stereo, 20 Mbit/s for 1080p HDR Video 60 FPS 5.1 Surround, and 35 Mbit/s for 4K HDR Video 60 FPS 5.1 Surround."

Shawrey

Cheers, so a big data plan then.

Associate
At worst case a rough estimate to be gaming at 1080p 60fps with 5.1 surround is circa 9GB per hour

For 4k HDR at 60fps 5.1 its nearly 16GB's per hour (worst case scenario).

So yes, quite hefty demands..

Shawrey

Soldato
That will surely have to change when 5G comes along proper. If ISPs can do unlimited data for home, then mobile providers should be doing the same with mobile data, especially with the high speeds where you easily chomp through gigabytes worth.

Yeah I agree, but unlimited data at home can cost a fair bit, whats the general cost for internet at home, £35 +. So if mobile providers do the same it surely will cost similar.

Be interesting to see how it does.

Soldato

I mean, it's just marketing. No different to them saying their connections are great for Netflix or Spotify or Twitter or Snapchat, which they all do too.

Given we haven't really seen what either the next-gen console nor Stadia can do in the real world, it might be wise to be a little less steadfast about what an industry-defining product it's going to be.

Associate
Yeah I agree, but unlimited data at home can cost a fair bit, whats the general cost for internet at home, £35 +. So if mobile providers do the same it surely will cost similar.

Be interesting to see how it does.

I already pay similar for my airtime with o2 for 50GB. Now, I appreciate o2 are a touch expensive however, I rate their support every time I've needed them so prepared to pay a bit more.

I remember the days where you could get an unlimited data contract with o2 and it was a sensible price circa £20pm + handset charge and I think my handset was a BB Storm 2 totalling around £45pm. There wasn't half as much data crippling services available and streaming content to your mobile was unheard of.

I know the providers limit data caps now for this exact reason, they don't want people chewing up bandwidth for non-mobile related tasks for the likes of calls/texts etc. when actually the advent of collaboration and UC to mobile platforms means users need more bandwidth. The switch off of traditional telephony in 2025 should encourage the providers to again properly uncap limits and invest in their infrastructure to support those extra demands.

5G has too short a range requiring line of sight to be useful in any other environment except heavily built up areas where the volume of antenna can be increased to generate very high bandwidths. Average towns won't see any benefit as they wont be throwing up lots of 5G antennas in proximity of each other so 4G should be bolstered as the dominant network.

Shawrey

Man of Honour
Associate
Funny, one of the most popular threads in the console section is about a Streaming service. :D

The only ones down playing this service are dinosaurs still buying retail.

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny, one of the most popular threads in the console section is about a Streaming service. :D

The only ones down playing this service are dinosaurs still buying retail.

Did you read the hands on experience here? https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-stadia-release-date-news-specs-price-3680415/amp

If the service provides something as spectacular as you are preaching then yes, us "dinosaurs" will shift away from console hardware eventually.

Reality is Microsoft and Sony have way too much invested and game developers want a guaranteed return on investment so they are going to take a big pull to take them away from making games for console hardware first and foremost.

Associate
Did you read the hands on experience here? https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-stadia-release-date-news-specs-price-3680415/amp

If the service provides something as spectacular as you are preaching then yes, us "dinosaurs" will shift away from console hardware eventually.

Reality is Microsoft and Sony have way too much invested and game developers want a guaranteed return on investment so they are going to take a big pull to take them away from making games for console hardware first and foremost.

Not preaching anything, as you put it. But those those writing the service off just because of personal interests is silly.

The writing is on the wall for consoles. MS/Sony/Nintendo/Google/Apple all know this.

Back
Top Bottom