• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Really interesting stuff the cloud technology. I spoke to someone at, lets say an obvious cloud computing competitor, and they were adamant that it was much more efficient to do all the processing outside the home.

I guess it should be. The average number of hours use per piece of gaming hardware is likely really low for the vast majority of people. Maybe 2-3 hours average per PC/Console/Phone per week? Not a very efficient use of hardware at all really.

What would the equivalent of a single cloud computing "console" see? Upward of 50 hours use per week?

Caporegime
This will work great in Norway, Japan, cities, not so great in Australia or rural America.

Never worry about losing game saves, never have to upgrade machines, never having generations ever again.

Latency should be fine now, if its good enough to play Battle Royal with 100 players it will be fine with most other games.

Man of Honour
This will work great in Norway, Japan, cities, not so great in Australia or rural America.

Never worry about losing game saves, never have to upgrade machines, never having generations ever again.

Latency should be fine now, if its good enough to play Battle Royal with 100 players it will be fine with most other games.

I think this is great for the big "AAA" titles but a lot of indie games are bullet hell/precise platformers that would really be affected by inconsistent latency. I see this and a Switch being a great pairing if it works well.

Soldato
How do they work out how much processing power they need. They're claiming something like 10tflops, ps4 pro is 4.
But how does that divide up between people playing the games.
Might be fine if 10,000 are playing at the same time but what happens if more people logon and start playing. How does that work.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I'd be keen on something like this and hope it lives up to the hype. I've got a PS4 but it gets so little use, mainly because when I do use it there's a huge update so when I've set aside an hour to play, I get half an hour at best.

I've been using GeForce Now on my Mac (been on the beta for the past year or so) which allows me to play steam games. Playing something like Project Cars 2 with everything on max at 1080p (max my monitor supports, I'm clearly not a 'gamer'), there's no discernible lag and the bonus is it takes little processing power to do so.

If I can have something similar in my living room not taking up any space and it's say, £30/month or so then I'd be up for that.

Associate
  • Image quality. Resolution and FPS are just numbers and only a part of the overall quality.
  • Connection quality/speed required
  • Lag (network, input and overall)
  • Privacy. It’s google, they’re data harvesters.
  • Another step further in game ownership, you’ll not actually hold the game locally.

Agree with all these but id add a couple more

PRICE : thats some decent hardware they are adding to these server blades.....cant see Google picking up the tab and allowing us to use it for nothing.

ISPs : They are already not happy with the amount of traffic from Netflix etc , this would generate a ton more if 4k60 took off surely ?

I think a service like this would be great for indie type games like Limbo but i cant imagine playing the latest triple A game streamed.....will be interesting either way

Man of Honour
I think a service like this would be great for indie type games like Limbo but i cant imagine playing the latest triple A game streamed.....will be interesting either way

Limbo would run on a calculator and it costs buttons to purchase so just own and run games like that locally. That's why I (and apparently Google too) see this as a service primarily for "AAA" slow paced graphical spectacle titles.

Permabanned
If they control the content perhaps they will advertise in it, customise it based in other stuff they know about you, etc. Good preparation for vr when they can really mess you up.

Caporegime
OP
How do they work out how much processing power they need. They're claiming something like 10tflops, ps4 pro is 4.
But how does that divide up between people playing the games.
Might be fine if 10,000 are playing at the same time but what happens if more people logon and start playing. How does that work.

It's just a circuitboard in a rack. One CPU/GPU "Stadia" 10.7TFlops instant per person. If they run out of capacity at any time, I guess you'll be put in a queue and told to wait until an instant becomes available.

Man of Honour
If they control the content perhaps they will advertise in it, customise it based in other stuff they know about you, etc. Good preparation for vr when they can really mess you up.

VR is the form of gaming that is the most sensitive to latency. This will likely never be suitable for VR use.

It might be interesting if they offer a version supported by advertising that only offers lower settings or older games.

Associate
Limbo would run on a calculator and it costs buttons to purchase so just own and run games like that locally. That's why I (and apparently Google too) see this as a service primarily for "AAA" slow paced graphical spectacle titles.

I get some / most Indie games run on a calculator , being able to stream them to any browser / streaming device with zero setup would still be kinda cool.
As you say Google and yourself disagree :p i look forward to trying it

Man of Honour
I get some / most Indie games run on a calculator , being able to stream them to any browser / streaming device with zero setup would still be kinda cool.
As you say Google and yourself disagree :p i look forward to trying it

For me indie games are also great on planes or in hotel rooms when working away and either the internet is unavailable or run on a potato connection, which I couldn't use this service for.

Associate
I'm definitely interested - really like the fact you can use any controller.

But like others, will need to see a games list and pricing.

I'm guessing you'd be ok with using a regular Chromecast as opposed to an Ultra, just that you'd lose the 4K60 aspect right?

Man of Honour
I'm definitely interested - really like the fact you can use any controller.

But like others, will need to see a games list and pricing.

I'm guessing you'd be ok with using a regular Chromecast as opposed to an Ultra, just that you'd lose the 4K60 aspect right?

You will have to use Google's controller if using the Chromecast.

Soldato
It would probably be fine for Fifa, but for twitch shooters and fighting games where reaction times really matter having input lag is far worse than having network lag.

It would be horrible for online fifa, offline probably not as bad but you still need quick response gameplay for fast build up attacks.

I've tried remote play with the vita and I've also tried ps now and I was a fan of either. I prefer a near immediate response rather than any kind of delay. I do think something like this would be fine for a casual gamer but I could just see myself getting very frustrated with the delay in any kind of competitive games.

Also will you only be able to play online with fellow stadia users or would it be against pc users as well?

Soldato
As well as latency which I am sure will be talked to death, I'm wondering how the image quality will hold up. When I render something at 1080p fullscreen on my 1080p screen, I get a 1:1 pixel...mapping? or whatever. When I am in effect streaming a video at 1080p, it will have all sorts of compression, won't be an exact 1080p image with 1:1 pixel surely, for things like the task bar etc.

Back
Top Bottom