• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
Wife got me the Premiere Edition for Christmas.

Played a bit of Destiny 2 but found the aiming to be a bit off. Probably me though.

Also played a bit of Tomb Raider which was good.

Playing either game I saw no noticeable lag.

Had to give the CCU a reboot before it would get a decent connection. After that, no issues whatsoever.

I think if you see this as a compliment to the likes of PS/Xbox as opposed to your only way of playing games, Stadia can fit in quite nicely.

Soldato
I think if you see this as a compliment to the likes of PS/Xbox as opposed to your only way of playing games, Stadia can fit in quite nicely.

I'm not sure it compliments them at all, given you can already play the majority of Stadia's library on those platforms already. The only way I can see that Stadia makes sense is if you have a console (e.g. the Switch like @jrwagh333 said above) that doesn't attract the major titles, or you're looking for a cheaper cost of entry into the broader gaming experience.

I've got a PS4 Pro, an Xbox One S (which is basically a Forza Horizon 4 box these days) and a gaming-capable PC; Stadia offers me absolutely nothing. It doesn't fit in anywhere, and I think it's safe to say a lot of people feel the same way. In a way it's a shame, Google have launched their own gaming platform which is no small feat, and yet Microsoft announcing that the new Xbox will be called "Xbox" received more attention from the gaming press and community.

I suspect Stadia's time to shine may well be closer to the launch of the next-gen consoles and part of me hopes that's what Google's plan is; use the early-adopters to get the tech and pricing right and then blow people away with performance and visuals that even the brand-new hardware can't match.

Associate
I'm not sure it compliments them at all, given you can already play the majority of Stadia's library on those platforms already. The only way I can see that Stadia makes sense is if you have a console (e.g. the Switch like @jrwagh333 said above) that doesn't attract the major titles, or you're looking for a cheaper cost of entry into the broader gaming experience.

I've got a PS4 Pro, an Xbox One S (which is basically a Forza Horizon 4 box these days) and a gaming-capable PC; Stadia offers me absolutely nothing. It doesn't fit in anywhere, and I think it's safe to say a lot of people feel the same way. In a way it's a shame, Google have launched their own gaming platform which is no small feat, and yet Microsoft announcing that the new Xbox will be called "Xbox" received more attention from the gaming press and community.

I suspect Stadia's time to shine may well be closer to the launch of the next-gen consoles and part of me hopes that's what Google's plan is; use the early-adopters to get the tech and pricing right and then blow people away with performance and visuals that even the brand-new hardware can't match.

I don’t disagree with what you said, Google clearly has a job on their hands to convince the likes of yourself and the others that Stadia does have a place in the gaming market.

The tech is there and it does work, those who have it know what it can do.

I’m just thinking along the lines of that for me personally if I wanted to play AAA titles on the go, I could take my CCU and controller with me and I’m good to go. And then there is the eventual rollout to phones as well.

Soldato
Main advantage of the library currently being so thin is we are getting some nice games every month with our sub.

For me, Stadia fits in perfect. Recently became a Dad so time at my PC for games is non existent, so I thought Stadia might fit the bill and it really has.

Soldato
Main advantage of the library currently being so thin is we are getting some nice games every month with our sub.

For me, Stadia fits in perfect. Recently became a Dad so time at my PC for games is non existent, so I thought Stadia might fit the bill and it really has.

a game console would fit the bill even better

Soldato

Google has more pressing problems to fix.

like why Stadia is not available to most of the world. Only a handful of countries can use Stadia right now, so their market is smaller than it could be. They need to fix that by installing Google data centers around the world.

Stadia is only available in 14 countries based on where google has its servers. The other 181 countries in the world have no access to Stadia because Google does not have a data centre close by.

Meanwhile the next gen consoles will be sold in almost every single country in the world.

you see the problem here?

Soldato
Stadia (or xCloud) on Switch would be excellent. Perfect format for "dad gaming", but just misses out on too many top titles due to the specs.

I can stream from my PC to Switch via the Android port, and it's excellent (if a little clunky, as streaming from PC always is).

Soldato
People who would play in a browser would choose to because they can't afford a gaming pc (one of the selling points) ..however the same people probably have an Xbox or Ps4, both of which offer a better experience than stadia.

I don't see who this thing appeals to. As a father to a 1yr old Id have thought it would be me, but it's not at all. If I have time in front of the TV I'll run my ps4 Pro. (games a fraction of stadia price and without downside). If I have an opportunity to launch chrome. I'm on my pc. So I'll just run a game through traditional means.

I thought this thing looked cool initially but I don't see how anyone could find it irresistible. It's fell flat on every level.

Soldato
Google has more pressing problems to fix.

like why Stadia is not available to most of the world. Only a handful of countries can use Stadia right now, so their market is smaller than it could be. They need to fix that by installing Google data centers around the world.

Stadia is only available in 14 countries based on where google has its servers. The other 181 countries in the world have no access to Stadia because Google does not have a data centre close by.

Meanwhile the next gen consoles will be sold in almost every single country in the world.

you see the problem here?

And then the userbase is narrowed even further by the requirements of a fast internet connection. Take me for example, I live in a large UK city and yet have no access to any flavour of fibre broadband at all, now or in the future, so am stuck on 1MB/s ADSL2+, which pretty much rules out Stadia for me.

Soldato
And also rules that you have to wait one hour plus for any patch of any game.
This is what caused me to go for Stadia. My Xbox has never done auto updates properly (it just switches on and doesn't update, then stays on!) so I'd get back from a week working away with a few hours free to just chill out with a game and... Nope, everything needed updating before I could play it.

Since swapping to a wired connection I've not had so much of a stutter and I'm on basic Talk talk fibre.

What is killing it for me is the lack of players. While waiting to get into a match on Destiny 2 I looked up the stats. 11600 people playing Destiny on Stadia. Not at that moment but in total! Of which less than 2000 are engaging in PvP. While America are sleeping it can take ages to get into a match.

I'm hoping I can dip in and out of Stadia pro as my overseas work this year is brutal and I'll miss out on full month's of subscription if I can't.

Soldato
Surely it's crap though? The line up of games is average. If you want a decent single player experience then a PS4 Pro with Horizon, uncharted, god of war, spiderman, tomb raider etc would have been better surely.

I also got it for the convenience. I don't have access to the TV as much as I'd like and it's really nice to be able to play wherever I go (as I have a pixel phone)

Associate
Ah man, had such a great time on the creepy cave, underwater sections & amazing ship tomb puzzle, not a single stutter in an hour+half of play. Gave up today as outdoor sections had the stutter every minute or less straight away. It kills it for me. Got a refund on Rage 2.

EDIT: Had a perfect session from 22:00 to now. Misses knitting the entire evening, internet only used by me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if its possible to get a sub par game instance (or whatever the correct term is) on their servers? I know that shouldn't be possible but I had my first issue of minor stuttering since going wired with my Chromecast and it did seem to tie in with stuff happening in game, like the GFX card was running out of RAM of something. I've also had occurrences where the load times in Destiny have been longer than others.

Back
Top Bottom