• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Well Stadia has a few advantages that I can already notice over GFN.

4K support (yes I know it's not all games, but some games are doing 4K/30 with MK11 and a couple others hitting 4K/60)

And if you pay for the sub on GFN you get "extended play sessions"... So that means they will kick you eventually?

Soldato
If you PC game and want your library on the go (on an Android phone - no iOS love as per usual), then I can see why GFN would appeal.

But if you have no Steam library and don't game on your PC/Mac then there is literally no incentive to use GFN.

Stadia will be fine.

No incentive?

The free tier is out already.
The subscription is cheaper.
It doesn't require the purchase of proprietary hardware.
The game library is far larger.
Games can be purchased from a number of different store fronts, leading to price competition.
Game prices are (generally) lower.
Games are effectively "cross platform"; buy the game once and you can play it on PC, Mac (game dependant), Geforce Now & other PC-based streaming services. This also means your library isn't rendered redundant should Geforce Now get shut down in the future.

Not to say that Geforce Now is better all-round. With Stadia you get:
4K resolution.
Potentially lower input latency with the Wi-Fi controller.
A more integrated, user-friendly, experience. Geforce Now is a bit of a hack. You have to manually search for games you own. After selecting a game, you basically connect to a virtual desktop, where you log in, "download", and then launch the chosen game.

I'd say there's more incentive to use Geforce Now if you have a PC game library, rather than less incentive if you don't. The incentives look pretty good even without a catalogue of games to fall back on.

My main disappointment with the final release of Geforce Now is that the UI hasn't become like the GOG Galaxy one. I want to be able to log in to all compatible PC platforms and see all of my (compatible) games. Having to search and manually add games to the Geforce Now library is laborious.

Last edited:
Associate
No incentive?

The free tier is out already.
The subscription is cheaper.
It doesn't require the purchase of proprietary hardware.
The game library is far larger.
Games can be purchased from a number of different store fronts, leading to price competition.
Game prices are (generally) lower.
Games are effectively "cross platform"; buy the game once and you can play it on PC, Mac (game dependant), Geforce Now & other PC-based streaming services. This also means your library isn't rendered redundant should Geforce Now get shut down in the future.

Not to say that Geforce Now is better all-round. With Stadia you get:
4K resolution.
Potentially lower input latency with the Wi-Fi controller.
A more integrated, user-friendly, experience. Geforce Now is a bit of a hack. You have to manually search for games you own. After selecting a game, you basically connect to a virtual desktop, where you log in, "download", and then launch the chosen game.

I'd say there's more incentive to use Geforce Now if you have a PC game library, rather than less incentive if you don't. The incentives look pretty good even without a catalogue of games to fall back on.

My main disappointment with the final release of Geforce Now is that the UI hasn't become like the GOG Galaxy one. I want to be able to log in to all compatible PC platforms and see all of my (compatible) games. Having to search and manually add games to the Geforce Now library is laborious.

So pretty much what I said then - if you have a PC game library, own an Android phone/tablet/Shield TV and either wish to game on the go or if your PC is in a different room to your main TV, GFN will be great option for those wanting to use it.

If you don't then there isn't much (if any) appeal to anyone not a PC gamer at present to use. If Nvidia can make iOS/Apple TV apps (Like Shadow), then it could be an option to additional people.

Back to Stadia...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So pretty much what I said then - if you have a PC game library, own an Android phone/tablet/Shield TV and either wish to game on the go or if your PC is in a different room to your main TV, GFN will be great option for those wanting to use it.

If you don't then there isn't much (if any) appeal to anyone not a PC gamer at present to use. If Nvidia can make iOS/Apple TV apps (Like Shadow), then it could be an option to additional people.

Back to Stadia...
But why though? If no appeal on Geforce Now why would stadia appeal?

Why do you need to be a pc gamer or have a library of pc games already? Don't get it. You can buy your games from steam or one of the other places just like your would directly from Google.

Soldato
So pretty much what I said then

Yeah, if you ignore what I wrote and read what you want to read.

As an example, how much is AC: Odyssey on Stadia (genuine question; non-subscribers can't see what games are available, let alone the prices)? Both the Steam and the Uplay versions are compatible with Geforce Now. Throw in key resellers (legit ones like Humble), and the game can be purchased from quite a wide number of retailers. It is likely to be on sale somewhere regularly. The best (recent) price was £24 for the Ultimate Edition. I expect that would represent a significant saving over the Stadia version? And that's one game. The same is likely true for the vast majority of Stadia's 30-40 game library.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently £54.99 for base AC:O

It has been in sale before but I'm afraid I can't recall the price. I think it was £20, but could easily be mistaking that for another game.

If it helps analyze prices. MK11 is currently on offer on Stadia for £20 for base version and Premium Edition is £28.

Associate
But why though? If no appeal on Geforce Now why would stadia appeal?

Why do you need to be a pc gamer or have a library of pc games already? Don't get it. You can buy your games from steam or one of the other places just like your would directly from Google.

How am I meant to play these games on my TV? That’s where I play my games.

Associate
Yeah, if you ignore what I wrote and read what you want to read.

As an example, how much is AC: Odyssey on Stadia (genuine question; non-subscribers can't see what games are available, let alone the prices)? Both the Steam and the Uplay versions are compatible with Geforce Now. Throw in key resellers (legit ones like Humble), and the game can be purchased from quite a wide number of retailers. It is likely to be on sale somewhere regularly. The best (recent) price was £24 for the Ultimate Edition. I expect that would represent a significant saving over the Stadia version? And that's one game. The same is likely true for the vast majority of Stadia's 30-40 game library.

I fully appreciate what you’re saying but again, you’re purely looking at it from a PC gaming point of view.

If you have no PC game library, what reason do you really have to use GFN? You don’t. Now if you’re wanting to get into PC gaming then yes, GFN is an excellent option to consider.

And as mentioned, I’d say that it’s Shadow that GFN will be competing with in this environment, while Google will be competing with Microsoft and Amazon:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Associate
Either Chromecast Ultra or Nvidia Shield?

Exactly-to play on the TV you’d have to invest in a CCU or a Shield TV.

So at that point, Stadia becomes the more appealing prospect because of the fact that it’s a one button press and you’re in the game.

Soldato
I fully appreciate what you’re saying but again, you’re purely looking at it from a PC gaming point of view.

You're an odd one. You keep referencing PC gaming, while insisting that it's me that keeps looking at this from "a PC gaming point of view".

You're basically inventing your own argument.

Last edited:
Associate
You're an odd one. You keep referencing PC gaming, while insisting that it's me that keeps looking at this from "a PC gaming point of view".

You're basically inventing your own argument.

I’m not inventing anything.

You’re comparing this to Stadia and said:

“you can play it on PC, Mac (game dependant), Geforce Now & other PC-based streaming services.”

when buying a game.

All I’ve said is that unless you PC game, there isn’t any other compelling reason to use this service. Nothing else to it.

Associate
You're quoting out of context. But regardless, since when was the ability to play games across multiple formats, from a single purchase, considered a negative?

Where have I said it’s a negative? It’s not a negative if you can buy/play a game over multiple formats.

My stance is that GeForce Now is more geared towards PC gamers who want to stream their Steam/PC games in the cloud. For anyone who doesn’t have a PC game library, I don’t see them using this service.

What’s so hard to understand about that?

Per @TNA, I'm out. Looney arguments ahoy. "Stadia is better because games you buy for Stadia can only ever played using Stadia". There were good arguments to make for why Stadia is better. This wasn't one of them.

Literally didn’t say that but whatever.

But it’s clear we aren’t getting anywhere-as I said before, getting any worthwhile conversation out of this particular forum regarding Stadia is futile at this point.

Soldato
I tried GFN earlier thinking it might be a good option for games that Stadia doesn't have, then it proved it was pretty poor in comparison, found game, clicked play, then told me i was 168 in the queue to play :/ Sorry but that is totally crap and could take hours before i joined the game.

Soldato
I tried GFN earlier thinking it might be a good option for games that Stadia doesn't have, then it proved it was pretty poor in comparison, found game, clicked play, then told me i was 168 in the queue to play :/ Sorry but that is totally crap and could take hours before i joined the game.

At least it has people playing it. Stadia you probably get about 6 people to play a game with lol

Soldato
@insane200 Wouldn't wait in a queue to play a single player game either.

I don't have to game on Stadia and I've nothing to gain by singing it's praises. I bought it just to see how to well the format works and I found myself using it more than I thought I would.

Granted it lacks certain features but we are only 2 months in and the stuff it misses doesn't bother me...

Last edited:
Soldato
My free Stadia (BT broadband) arrived today.

Set it up.
Played about 5 minutes.
And in the drawer it'll probably stay forever.
Nice to have the chromecast ultra though!

Back
Top Bottom