• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Honestly, I didn't even know they had a games dev division. I don't see it meaning much at all...

I'm not saying Stadia is here to stay. I'm not saying Stadia is, or is going to be a massive success. I personally just think this is rather a none story. It has no bearing on if I would use Stadia or not.

Associate
So as predicted this one will slowly hitting the *******.

Not surprised at all. If they were serious about it they would have invested a lot more and taken the launch seriously. Not like Google is short on cash.

It might not always be like that. They really seem like a very poorly ran company. Very few people will ever give Google money for services as hardly anyone trusts that they will deliver over the medium to long term.
They were on a roll 10-15 years ago with Gmail, Youtube, Android but nothing they have done since has even gotten out of the starting blocks.

I have put ~20 hours into Stadia. Overall my impression is very positive on the hardware. I can certainly see cloud gaming playing a part in a few years. However I expect MS to take everyone lunch money. They will have the games, platform and resources.

Soldato
The only first party game I have played is Gylt, for a few hours, and I really liked it and plan to go back to it.

I've got a few games on the platform, Doom, MK11, CP2077 - I personally am happy if they stay just with third parties.

But if they ditch Stadia as it is now, which looks like it might happen, I'll be very disappointed.

Not because I've put money in. But I just love the service. I don't get long to play and it's a random times. So no patches, play on any screen is a big seller to me.

Soldato
FWIW I don't think they'll be ditching it any time soon. The tech seems good if you've got the connection and people who have gone for it seem pretty happy with it. Establishing a games division takes years and a ton of revenue - maybe they've looked at the numbers after a year and decided that it wasn't worth that kind of spend. Maybe they'll look to buy up studios like the other big three have (also not cheap!). Guess we'll find out.

Soldato
But if they ditch Stadia as it is now, which looks like it might happen, I'll be very disappointed.

Not because I've put money in. But I just love the service. I don't get long to play and it's a random times. So no patches, play on any screen is a big seller to me.
I'm in the same boat - it suits my gaming time perfectly

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It might not always be like that. They really seem like a very poorly ran company. Very few people will ever give Google money for services as hardly anyone trusts that they will deliver over the medium to long term.
They were on a roll 10-15 years ago with Gmail, Youtube, Android but nothing they have done since has even gotten out of the starting blocks.

I have put ~20 hours into Stadia. Overall my impression is very positive on the hardware. I can certainly see cloud gaming playing a part in a few years. However I expect MS to take everyone lunch money. They will have the games, platform and resources.

Yeah I agree. If I was going down the cloud gaming route, I would put my money on MS.

Soldato
Yeah I agree. If I was going down the cloud gaming route, I would put my money on MS.

At the moment I find the MS service ok at best, compared to Stadias excellent performance. Given time, probably not much, they will be the same.

MS will be the overall victor I'm sure.

Associate
After the initial buggy start for me (stuttering), I found the experience very good, very promising. Unfortunately there were/are very few games. The next big game I played early 2020 was The Witcher 3, not on Statia but they'll have CP2077? Missed opportunity. Just overall the catalogue of games are either premium priced AAA or weird indie games, missing decades of classics.

But the biggest killer, the thing that stopped it being a huge hit was the pricing - you have to buy the game and pay a subscription to get all the features? Vast majority will compare it with Netflix, Spotify etc and then question why they can't pay £15 per month to play any game. They could have upset things with that, missed opportunity.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Stadia makes it to the typical generation time frame, about 6/7 years.

Soldato
After the initial buggy start for me (stuttering), I found the experience very good, very promising. Unfortunately there were/are very few games. The next big game I played early 2020 was The Witcher 3, not on Statia but they'll have CP2077? Missed opportunity. Just overall the catalogue of games are either premium priced AAA or weird indie games, missing decades of classics.

But the biggest killer, the thing that stopped it being a huge hit was the pricing - you have to buy the game and pay a subscription to get all the features? Vast majority will compare it with Netflix, Spotify etc and then question why they can't pay £15 per month to play any game. They could have upset things with that, missed opportunity.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Stadia makes it to the typical generation time frame, about 6/7 years.

But it's no different than GFN when you look at it.

Both platforms - Buy the game.
Both platforms - Stream at 1080p
Pay extra - Stadia 4K stream.

Associate
Hence the missed opportunity. Keep it simple for the target audience, folks that don't have a gaming PC, can't afford (or get) a console but little Jimmy wants to play modern games at good specs: £14.99 pcm. Pause subscription but game saves kept on the Cloud indefinitely, rolling monthly fee.

Soldato
Hence the missed opportunity. Keep it simple for the target audience, folks that don't have a gaming PC, can't afford (or get) a console but little Jimmy wants to play modern games at good specs: £14.99 pcm. Pause subscription but game saves kept on the Cloud indefinitely, rolling monthly fee.

I fail to see how isn't simple?
Buy the game, play it

Associate
But you must also pay them a monthly subscription to play them at a modern resolution your TV supports.
You'll be limited to a 1080p stream with stereo sound, instead of 4K and 5.1 surround.

Netflix don't make me buy a movie AND charge me a subscription, yet they stream 4K. They're also investing huge amounts into the product, while Google has pulled out making content. That alone will put off a lot of people, make me buy the game OR charge me a subscription, not both.

Caporegime
OP
The only way Google will be able to compete is by adopting Microsoft's Game Pass / Netflix model - one monthly sub for unlimited access to the whole library. Because when Amazon Luna comes along, it's going to wipe the floor with Stadia.

Soldato
But you must also pay them a monthly subscription to play them at a modern resolution your TV supports.
You'll be limited to a 1080p stream with stereo sound, instead of 4K and 5.1 surround.

Netflix don't make me buy a movie AND charge me a subscription, yet they stream 4K. They're also investing huge amounts into the product, while Google has pulled out making content. That alone will put off a lot of people, make me buy the game OR charge me a subscription, not both.

Netflix also charge you more to stream in 4K

Soldato
I don't pay a subscription, but I'm fairly sure I bought a game and can play it? (Tbh, I've not tried in a while and I'm now part of my brothers family sub, so am I wrong?)

You're correct.

You buy the game once and then play it at no extra cost.

If you pay the subscription it unlocks 4K stream, 5.1 sound and also unlocks some Stadia Pro games

Associate
The only way Google will be able to compete is by adopting Microsoft's Game Pass / Netflix model - one monthly sub for unlimited access to the whole library. Because when Amazon Luna comes along, it's going to wipe the floor with Stadia.

Exactly, Amazon with AWS infra is just incredible, although it's largly based on storage, latency and CPU power.

Whilst Netflix do charge alittle more for 4K, they don't make me buy the movie. I don't know how they missed this.

Caporegime
OP
Exactly, Amazon with AWS infra is just incredible, although it's largly based on storage, latency and CPU power.

I wasn't even thinking of that more like Amazon is going to offer packages like you get on Sky TV, so you can pick and choose different publisher packages for a small fee each month. It'll be interesting to see how exactly that works and whether it can match Game Pass. But also, they are using Windows 10 and DirectX for all the games which makes it very easy to increase their library because there is no messing about with Linux/Vulkan as on Stadia.

Back
Top Bottom