1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Stadia - pricing/launch details on 6th June 2019

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by ic1male, Mar 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ic1male

Caporegime

Yeah, multiplayer could benefit a lot.

I notice on the specs page, it says resolutions are "up to ..." but the frame rate is listed as 60fps. I wonder if this means Google has mandated that all games must be 60fps and use reconstruction techniques to get the resolution to 4K or if they simply mean the video is encoded to 60fps and the in-game framerate could still be 30fps or anything in between.

2. Dredd

Wise Guy

same as twitch, always same fps but resolution changes based on my connection?

Destiny very interesting decision, must be a reason why they chose it over everything else.

3. Makhaira

Mobster

One thing I can't find a concrete answer to - I presume you will have to specifically purchase games through Google to use on Stadia?

My worry would be that buying into Stadia ends up being similar to buying into the Apple ecosystem, where you're locked to a single source and therefore have no say in pricing. If on the other hand I can just pay a monthly subscription, and "add" games I buy/own to it like purchasing a Steam code from a third party for example, then I'm definitely interested...

4. davida76

Gangster

This is my understanding of it, essentially it is like steam but you don't need to own hardware to run it (by hardware I'm talking gaming pc with £xxxx gpu), instead your £8.99 (4k) pays for that plus the free monthly games and then any games you want on top of that you buy separately.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  5. GoogalyMoogaly

Soldato

So what happens to the games you buy if Google get "bored" and stop the service?

6. hardkore

Mobster

The same thing if any digital pc storefront goes Pete tong...

I think it's in the EULA for nearly every piece of software that technically you don't own any game, you've merely paid to use it.

7. GoogalyMoogaly

Soldato

I thought Steam has plans for making all games available should it shut down (which seems unlikely at this point). Also, all those other platforms allow me to download the games so I have them locally. Is it the same thing with Stadia?

8. ic1male

Caporegime

No, they vanish in a puff of electrical smoke. Chance you got to take.

9. Ali195

Hitman

Have signed up. New Samsung QLED gets 170 to 200mbps download & 11 to 14 upload depending on the speed test ran. Also my base PS4 is showing it's age. If works as intended then may leave PS5 until Christmas 2020 but if the range of games is limited overall (I expect all cross platform to be on it othewise unacceptable). Could be an industry changer or slow burner to evential fizzle out.

10. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

They have previous for this too. Google+ cough.. (111 million user base too! So no small deal)

11. GoogalyMoogaly

Soldato

Apparently there's also:
    Google Reader
    iGoogle
    Google Talk
    Google Health
    Knol
    Google Insights for Search
    Picnik
    Google Buzz
    Aardvark
    Sidewiki
    Google Notebook
    Google Dictionary
    Google Labs
    Google Wave
    SearchWiki
    Dodgeball
    Jaiku
    Google Lively
    Google Page Creator
    Zeitgeist
    Google Answers

And possibly Google Glass

12. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

Lol! In this case I think i’ll Wait to see what the competitors come up with. :D

13. satchef1

Mobster

xCloud seems like a safer bet as if the worst happens and the service is shut down, you can still play the games on Xbox/PC.

14. TheOracle

Capodecina

What's wrong with that? With 5g just around the corner, and BT rolling out fibre to the home, Stadia is designed past 2019.
    The games are what's worrying me, not graphics or latency.

15. Rossi~

Capodecina

You mean, what's wrong with the test being essentially useless? It didn't show UHD performance, used different screens and downscales quality HARD with slower connections. We need a real world test to be carried out to judge the latency and quality of the streaming.

As for 5G, it's is more than "around the corner" before there's more than a trickle of coverage and bandwidth, also providing it's security issues are solved/rescinded. Also, what happens with Stadia when bandwidth is taken up with device updates and other devices streaming media? Fibre to the home will not be available to everyone, myself included. These are not issues for current consoles and I believe Google are jumping the gun somewhat.

This needs to be reviewed, properly, before the bandwagon gets rolling separately to the concerns of games and their exclusivity, availability and ownership.

16. TheOracle

Capodecina

oh yeah, but that's usual for Google

17. Rossi~

Capodecina

Tru dat

18. BMox81

Hitman

19. Poneros

Mobster

4K 60 fps HDR with Ray tracing Cyberpunk 2077 could make me give it a go. Just saying. ;)

20. ic1male

Caporegime

I don’t think Stadia’s Vega 56 will do RT, sorry.