Got a 5820k.. What do I get next?

Soldato
3900X indeed has some top model extra and also shops not having them sitting on shelfs tends to keep price up.
But as upgrade doubling cores and threads would certainly go for many many years.

3800X is yet missing from reviews, so hard to say how much it differs from 3700X in performance.
Though highest quality dies are no doubt going for for 3950X.

Soldato
In real world use is there a noticeable benefit from upgrading and X99 based system? I've had mine for about 5 years but so far haven't really found it struggling with any apps.

Caporegime
I'm trying to make the same decision moving on from my 5820k at 4.4ghz. Have an X570 board arriving Tuesday. Thinking it through:

3600 at £190 - same number of cores, big jump in single core IPC but worry about long term viability as games are already using 6 cores. Would be fine as a stop gap to 3950X though.

3700X at £320 - seems like the best balance. Extra 2 cores, clocks a little higher than the 360, much more power efficient.

3900X at £480 - the big dog. Cost per core is no more than the 3700X which makes it seem cheap. Runs hot even on decent air cooling. No point for gaming at all over a 3700X. Something about doubling core count over the 5820K is appealing.

X99 is still quite viable but single core IPC is well behind current chips and this can be seen in minimum frame rate dips in games. It's also use vastly more power overclocked.

Associate
Have an X79 system, and I fully loaded it out years ago when I got it. At this time frame, for what I need it to do and what I may use it for, there's no major bottlenecks other than GPU (for gaming), so really if I were to upgrade, it would like tamzzy says, an upgrade to the GPU will be the only thing to do.

Something to consider: Ryzen is very tempting an upgrade, but it always is for latest tech. But there's always unknowns involved as well. The Asus RIVE is a great board for a great series of chips back 7-8 years ago. But looking at it now, it has horrendous software support for the features it had, and the fan controllers are actually not that great. Right now, I'm reading there's a bit of teething issues with Ryzen and certain other parts together. Personally, if I were to upgrade the main system itself as well, right now would not be the time to do it. What with everything being bleeding edge and change of tech (PCIe, PCIe4 Storage, etc). So best would be to upgrade once your main usage on the X99 setup starts to show obvious trouble and let a few revisions happen first, then grab something available then, which may even offer better longevity and value.

The last thing you want is to grab something now, then find out a new change or added item increases functionality many times over in the long run.

Soldato
OP
Good post thanks.

Ive just looked at GPU prices too and they are pretty bonkers right now.

I have a feeling my excitement towards upgrading might end with disappointment.

I'll likely have to spend 600 quid to feel a difference at 1440p

Soldato
I'm pretty hesitant about any future upgrades as when I went from an i7-920/X58 to an i7-5820k/X99 it honestly wasn't that big a difference in day to day use.

I don't think I'd upgrade my current system CPU/mobo unless I had an app/game where the performance was sub par.

Soldato
OP
I'm pretty hesitant about any future upgrades as when I went from an i7-920/X58 to an i7-5820k/X99 it honestly wasn't that big a difference in day to day use.

Yeah being honest I don't remember being all that excited when I moved from a 2500k @ 4.5ghz to my 5820k. It was faster but I guess cpus don't have that same impact as gpus.

Soldato
Yeah being honest I don't remember being all that excited when I moved from a 2500k @ 4.5ghz to my 5820k. It was faster but I guess cpus don't have that same impact as gpus.

It sounds ridiculous to say it but I'd be happy with the level of performance my 10 year old i7-920 offered so long as it had a newer SSD and a more up to date GPU!

Associate

I don't think I'd upgrade my current system CPU/mobo unless I had an app/game where the performance was sub par.

Same. I went from the same setup i7-920/X58 to a (originally) 3820k/X79. Both heavily loaded out, and only benchmarks could I see any real difference (and one or two apps). And in games, the GPU change was the real eye opener (AMD HD4870 1GB I believe it was, to a HD7950 3GB). Prior to that, there was a dual Opteron setup (240 I believe) and because it was during a time of tech change, it was an AGP board. So I kept an old x850 XT PE in use. The change from that GPU to the HD4870 was immense, much more so over the system change.

Soldato
Good post thanks.

Ive just looked at GPU prices too and they are pretty bonkers right now.

I have a feeling my excitement towards upgrading might end with disappointment.

I'll likely have to spend 600 quid to feel a difference at 1440p
Yep it really depends on what you're doing. I generally don't upgrade until I can see at least a ~25% improvement in what I do and prefer if that number is heading up to 40%. Unless you can see that kind of improvement over your X99 then I wouldn't be so quick to splash the cash.

Soldato
I'm in a similar situation, though I'm really struggling to find a decent motherboard. Most (all :p ) seem like a downgrade, lacking sata ports or post codes, bios flashback, chipset fans which I remember from the barton 2500xp-m days :X

Soldato
I'm in a similar situation, though I'm really struggling to find a decent motherboard. Most (all :p ) seem like a downgrade, lacking sata ports or post codes, bios flashback, chipset fans which I remember from the barton 2500xp-m days :X
Yep, I didn't even give X570 a look in due to the chipset fan! I really like motherboards with a post code display read out but had to forgo that although I did get Flashback. ;)

Soldato
Yep, I didn't even give X570 a look in due to the chipset fan! I really like motherboards with a post code display read out but had to forgo that although I did get Flashback. ;)
I've not gone into how loud they are, just remember on my NF7-S v2.0 the northbridge fan failed, ended up just putting some massive blue heatsink on it and it was fine, x570 might work out the same.

Post codes seem less of an issue on AMD side, basic lights work, CPU, Ram, mobo, hdd. Fair enough, but some boards lack these led lights too O_O

I've ordered a 16GB kit of 8pack 4133mhz DDR4, gonna see how low I can get the timings to go on my 5820K at 2400/2666mhz lol :D Ram prices seem set to rise (see Japan vs S Korea kafuffle), and I now have a kit capable of 3600mhz for ryzen 3900x if I go that route.

Soldato
I've not gone into how loud they are, just remember on my NF7-S v2.0 the northbridge fan failed, ended up just putting some massive blue heatsink on it and it was fine, x570 might work out the same.

Post codes seem less of an issue on AMD side, basic lights work, CPU, Ram, mobo, hdd. Fair enough, but some boards lack these led lights too O_O

I've ordered a 16GB kit of 8pack 4133mhz DDR4, gonna see how low I can get the timings to go on my 5820K at 2400/2666mhz lol :D Ram prices seem set to rise (see Japan vs S Korea kafuffle), and I now have a kit capable of 3600mhz for ryzen 3900x if I go that route.

Looking to something like the old thermalright chipset coolers that had heatpipes that cooled the chipset but moved it off the board to not foul anything, and either passive or a slow 80 or 92mm fan.

Soldato
There isn't any particularly compelling reason or feature to move from X99 to anything Intel or AMD are currently sellng at the moment unless you really have a use case for 12 (or 16 cores in September).

Ryzen 2 and a chip like the 9900k may be faster but not enough to really justify an upgrade yet.

Personally I'm minded to save my money for now and wait a year or two till we see some new platforms coming out with DDR 5.

If AMD keep their current CPU pace up their new platform for DDR5 might be a great buy if they retain their current motherboard compatibility over multiple CPU generations.

Its pretty great that I can currently drop a Ryzen 2 cpu into my second PC with x370\CHVI Hero motherboard after a bios update.

Associate
I'm also on 5820 and upgraded from a 920 (via a 5650).

I wouldn't mind a Ryzen for the extra cores and IPC but not really feeling like it needs to be done right now (bet memory prices shoot up again now!!)

Settling for a 2070s to keep things going until AMD/Nvidia get more competitive on the graphics side.

Back
Top Bottom