Got a hole in the wall, how do I fix it.

Associate
In our kitchen when we moved in there is an old chimney, the neighbour also has a chimney, part of the same stack but as far as I am aware they are not connected.
The plasterboard was buckled and badly damaged when we moved in. I thought it was going to be a straight forward fix; take the plasterboard off, tidy up whats underneath, new piece of board over the top, job done.
I took the broken board off and was greeted by the pictures below.
There is what seems to be a ventilation opening in the side and the cement render and brickwork underneath has broken and buckled causing the plaster to break.
My question is: how can I get another one of these aperture-type-things/what are they called?

My thinking is I can take the broken one out and do a straight swap and board back over but not knowing what the thing is makes it tricky.

I suppose the other option is to brick it up.

So, thoughts?

hAuuVp8.jpg.png

plD1M8C.jpg.png

tXwpZmc.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Take the loose stuff away, remove the old edge of the plasterboard nearest the back wall. You'll need some way to secure the rear vertical edge. I think when you remove the old there will be a gap that you could put grip fill onto the back wall, inside that gap and push the edge of the new board into it. The front edge looks like you have a metal corner strip you can stick to. You can put paper jointing tape on both corners, the type you fold down the middle and attach with some jointing compound. The tape should be a little recessed / bedded into the compound. When it's dry you're meant to use a corner trowel to skim some joint compound.over the top of tape.

You could pack it out a bit behind with some loft insulation that will squish down a bit when fixing the board in place.

If the vent is serving a purpose, e.g. it's providing actual ventilation then buy a small vent to fit into the plasterboard to roughly align with the duct behind.

Back
Top Bottom