1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got an arcade cabinet, need assistance

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Vintage Computing' started by Cyber-Mav, 29 Sep 2021.

1. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

so got a hold of this cabinet today from a relative. its not been used for over 2 years so was a bit dirty but cleaned up well. i dont have the key for the back side so cant get to the hardware thats running in it yet. if someone knows what sort of key i can get or if it can be picked etc?
    what i do gather when powering it on its running x86 hardware and has a 160gb IDE hard drive.
    wiring of the controllers looks to be a mess but dunno. need to get a keyboard onto it so got to open it up and check for usb port. maybe make an extension by drilling holes in the back and mounting the usb ports on the cabinet itself.

check the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

will be an interesting project for me to mess with. im interested to know how the controllers connect to the pc inside it. usb? or something else?

2. Ravenger

Mobster

The controls will probably connect to a USB keyboard encoder.

Not sure about the lock - will probably be fairly easy to pick though.

3. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

got past the lock easily. looks like someone hacked an actual dell keyboard and used its controller to do the job lol. its a P4 3ghz with 1.5gb ram. 32bit win7. gonna need more power in this the crappy ati firegl 3100 card it came with cant even do full dx9 stuff so had to ditch it for a nvidia 310.
    will do more faffing with this.

4. Ravenger

Mobster

That's quite an old machine!
    I've got a slightly newer macine in my full-size cab - A Q8400 on an nForce motherboard, 4GB RAM and a GTX450, running a shelled Windows XP so it boots seamlessly into the UI (using Mala with a skin I designed). It runs the far majority of games that I want to play
    I also compiled my own MAME executable without the nag screens.

5. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

some more pics of the insides.
    the bios cpu code says its a p4 517. once i get my ssd in it with 64bit win7 will do more snooping around for full spec and see what the mobo can take cpu wise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

The keyboard encoder seems to have limitations when both players play some keys dont get picked up.
    Need to find something better

7. Chaos

Soldato

Ultimarc sell various controller interfaces.

https://www.ultimarc.com

8. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

On modern PCs I like to padhack 360 controllers.

9. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

iv read that for lowest lag an arduino ATmega32U4 micro can be used. anyone go any experience with it?

the cpu in the cabinet was a pentium 4 531. 3ghz 1mb cache single core 90nm job. iv flashed the board bios to latest version and spent £3.25p for a pentium D 925 which is dual core 3ghz 65nm job with 4mb cache so should be a lot better and going by hp support site is the highest cpu the board will take. will see how it is when it arrives
    ram i upped from 1.5gb to 4gb today.

got to sort the controllers out though. 2 players is crap since button presses are missed and just doesnt control properly.

10. Phunky

Wise Guy

You can pickup zero delay usb encoders for £10 on the rainforest, just hook one to each joystick.

If you get hold of a Raspberry Pi 3/4 it’ll handle everything up to Dreamcast and just stick something like batocera on it.

11. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

iv been looking at the zero delay encoders but after spending some time reading up of arcade forums it seems they are very bad. its either ipac or arduino according to the arcade forums.
    iv got an arduino on order now a leonardo so will see how things go.
    windows based emulators are a lot more advanced than whats on the pi so going to stick to windows. i will look out for some small itx board parts if they come by cheap.

12. Ravenger

Mobster

I bought a zero-delay encoder for my new Tron Joystick add-on for my arcade cab. Seems to work ok, but it emulates direct input windows analog joystick, so there may not be enough inputs on it for a two joystick setup.

The ipac is the best solution and is really easy to setup - I've got a j-pac in my arcade cab, only because initially it shipped with a 60-in-1 jamma board, so it made the wiring much easier just to plug in the jamma harness and then wire up the extra buttons separately, but the functionality is basically the same (except for a few additional jamma bits). To be honest, if I knew how easy it was to wire up I'd have bought a cheaper ipac and rewired it.

13. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

iv got an arduino board on order so will give that a shot. seems to be a fair few guides and sketches going around on what to run on it.

14. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

Changed cpu today. Gone from p4 531 to pentium d 925. Massive difference. Cant believe how much faster it is in even general stuff.

15. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

this is sorted now. adruinos being used for the joystick and buttons. no more wiring mess and most of all both players can press as many buttons as they want simultaneously without issues.
    table has some spare space on it so maybe make a bigger cab to use all the space in future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

But does it work?

17. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

Lol yes its working great. Some extra buttons arrived now so need to drill some holes in the back to fit them.