Got knocked over by a car

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let some friends/ocuk'ers know that I ended up in an accident. Yesterday arounds 6:30pm I was out riding my bike, and roughly after 6 miles I had come onto the roads after a canal path. Shortly after I came towards a crossing and there are the coloured lights of crossing/stand, after I started to pedal, the light went to "stand" I had thought it'd give me a few seconds to cross over and the bus driver had acknowledged me so I proceed. The guy next to the bus driver wasn't looking and started to drive off @ high rev's I'd just looked and *bam* head on.

I twisted around a fair few times from the impact and landed on concrete resulting in serious cuts/bruises/back injuries. The moment was like 'OMG' I can't believe it . . .

The guy had gotten out and asked me if i was okay and so on. I then got up to find my whole body was shaking and I couldn't turn/move my back at all, and was very weak in my movement. The guy went and moved his car and came back if I was okay again. I told him I couldn't move and there was lots of blood everywhere. He had a bus driver's uniform on and he was on his way to work. The bus driver who'd acknowledged me had pulled over and gave him a piece of paper, im not sure of what but probably to witness something. The guy then said he'll be coming back round and he never came back.

I was pretty much K.O'd so I'd got my mobile and rang my dad. 20 mins later dad arrived and then went to the hospital.

Luckily no bones were fractured and I had been told I'll be having severe muscle spasms. I'm very lucky to have no head injuries or spinal injury. My right hip however has made me half disabled. I'm 10-14 times slower than what I usually do, and I get a muscle spasm every so often which feels like I'm being electrocuted all around the whole body. I'v got exams in 2 weeks and I can barely move for now. I had a mock exam for today morning which was pretty important but more importantly I need finish off an assignment to finish college in preperation for Uni. Hoping that's nothing more than muscle pains, I should be on road to recovery.

Thanks for listening, and im back off to bed ~Which'll probably take 2 minutes to hope on the bed that is a metre away :( ~

Soldato
That's absolutely disgusting that you were at the side of the road for 20 mins and nobody offered to help. :(

Hope you get all of your work and revision done mate, and let's face it, it could have been a lot worse.

Man of Honour
Hope you are ok despite your cuts and bruises.. The main thing is you are still with us.

This has happened to me on many occasions.

Motorists moan about cyclists being on the road yet we have just as much right to be there than them. Until the infra-structure changes and they build a proper cycle track (which isn’t going to happen) then motorists must be more vigilant of their surroundings particularly with both cyclists and motorbikes. Not doing so is both ignorant and dangerous.

When I got hit, the motorist said he didn’t see me.. umm “that’s because you didn’t look”!!

I hope you did get all his details as you may be entitled to compensation.

Associate
Admiral Huddy said:
Motorists moan about cyclists being on the road yet we have just as much right to be there than them. Until the infra-structure changes and they build a proper cycle track (which isn’t going to happen) then motorists must be more vigilant of their surroundings particularly with both cyclists and motorbikes. Not doing so is both ignorant and dangerous.

It works both ways though in all honesty. I bike to work nowadays (still drive if the weather is rough though) and I try my best to stay out the way of the traffic as much as possible, I stop at red lights and pedestrian crossings, I don't ride straight out into the road without being sure it's safe to do so, and I wear things to make myself visible. Sadly, not all other bike riders do the same, and i've been shocked at some of the careless riding i've seen. On the flip side, some drivers are exactly the same, so it's a hard one to point definate fingers of blame at.

OP, I hope you get on the mend quickly. :)

Soldato
It is six of one, half a dozen of the other I'm afraid.
I haven't ridden a bike for quite some time now, so I will say that I am a driver rather than a cyclist.
I respect all road users - I'll give people as much space as they need, I obey all traffic signs and lights and consider myself a careful driver around town.

There does however appear to be a higher percentage of cyclists who really don't feel lights and signs are for them.
Many times I thought as I watch yet another cyclist ride straight through a red light that if I had been coming the other way in my car and hit him then most people would consider me the "at fault" party just because I am in a car.

Sorry to hear about the accident however - get well soon.

Permabanned
Damn, I have been cycling a hell of a lot these past few months and I dont know how I have not been knocked off by a car/scooter/hgv/van/bus/coach/tractor. All of come close, every time I set out I think will I get hit today, I travel at a decent speed at most times.

I use to drive a lot and I would always look out for cyclist. Some people just dont think to care about cyclist maybe if I was in there car and they where biking they would think twice.

How fast would you say he hit you, did you get knocked backed.

Soldato
wowsers,glad youre ok but take it up with the police.. you know what his car looks like and that he works for the bus company - dont let him get away with it! hows your bike? it may be possible to sue for damages and he'll get points and a fine worst case for careless driving.

Man of Honour
Ouch, I hope you end up ok :(

I got hit by a motorbike side-on (hit right at my pelvis) about 18 months ago and if it hadn't been slowing for the traffic lights God knows what would've happened because it hurt like hell and knocked me down. I could walk the ~8min walk home half-limping, but was alright after a week or so.

Look right, left and right again. I now take twice as long to cross roads as anyone else I know.

Associate
stoofa said:
It is six of one, half a dozen of the other I'm afraid.
I haven't ridden a bike for quite some time now, so I will say that I am a driver rather than a cyclist.
I respect all road users - I'll give people as much space as they need, I obey all traffic signs and lights and consider myself a careful driver around town.

There does however appear to be a higher percentage of cyclists who really don't feel lights and signs are for them.
Many times I thought as I watch yet another cyclist ride straight through a red light that if I had been coming the other way in my car and hit him then most people would consider me the "at fault" party just because I am in a car.

Sorry to hear about the accident however - get well soon.
+1

I hope you heal up well. It's never nice when you're hit by some eejit who wasn't paying attention to the road and/or looking hard enough. Although to play devils advocate here, I've lost count on the amount of times I have seen a cyclist who is cycling with no reflective gear, no protection and no lights when there is v.poor visability on the road.

It is the responsability of the driver to use adequate observation. It is the responsability of the cyclist to ensure he is seen using the proper equipment. This wouldn't stop the idiots from causing accidents, but it'd sure help.

Soldato
Damn, sounds horrible. I was hit by a jeep and throw off my bike into the road infront of a van, which very nearly killed me. I knew I was going to get hit becuase there was a huge lorry coming the other way and I could hear this jeep coming up from behind. I also had muscles spasms, think it was the shock. I was so lucky the van didn't hit me, I can't tell you how close it was to running over my head, probably about 3 cm's...

Glad you didn't get anymore serious injuries. I now ride my bike on the path, I honestly don't care. I would rather ride on the path than be killed on the road.

Was the scariest time of my life...

Hitman
Permabanned
Was the driver on the far side of the bus? If so, it may have been difficult for him to see you. There are several places where you need to be very very careful about going on an amber light, for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists, because the lights from the other side are amber at the same time. Unfortunately you do need to be aware of most of them, or just always wait until your own light is green.
I'm sorry to hear you were hurt, I hope you recover fully.

Back
Top Bottom