Got me a Euro Wii - Clue me in!

Associate
Hey chaps,

I have just secured a Euro (German) Wii for my 7 year old daughter which is great; and I didn't pay through the nose.

The thing is, I am not sure what comes in the box and what I will need to just set it up on Xmas day. I know it is the standard Wii with 5 games (on one disc); What i don't know is if it will come with a SCART connector as i do not have composite in on my Tele; or how many controllers / nunchucks you get with it.

Also what games would be great for a blast on xmas day for the whole family?

Soldato
Hey chaps,

I have just secured a Euro (German) Wii for my 7 year old daughter which is great; and I didn't pay through the nose.

The thing is, I am not sure what comes in the box and what I will need to just set it up on Xmas day. I know it is the standard Wii with 5 games (on one disc); What i don't know is if it will come with a SCART connector as i do not have composite in on my Tele; or how many controllers / nunchucks you get with it.

Also what games would be great for a blast on xmas day for the whole family?

Mario Party 8?

Associate
OP
Wouldnt you need a plug converter too?

Like the ones you take on holiday but the other way around?

Yup converter plug - Knew i forgot something phew!! Just looked and they are only 2 quid :)

thanks @ Durzel . As long as it has SCART I am sweet and now just need games - What about this Mario Olympics thingy... Sounds like fun, hopefully like Daly Thompsons Decathlon.

Soldato
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Wario Ware, Rayman 1/2 and Mario Strikers are games I've found to be great MP games. There are more, I'm sure, but I don't own them.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Is a german Wii called a Vee?

Sorry to be a pedant, although you're correct with the pronunciation of a W, I thought the whole point of calling it a Wii was the fact that it could be pronounced correctly in any language

Associate
OP
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Wario Ware, Rayman 1/2 and Mario Strikers are games I've found to be great MP games. There are more, I'm sure, but I don't own them.

Cheers Syph,

I havn't had a console since my dreamcast, and while this will be my daughters I'm sure to snag a go too. i just wanted her and the family to have fun and forget a truly pants year -just for one day.

Have looked at reviews of mario and sonic at the olympics and will pick that up. Cheers.

Soldato
I'm sure she'd like Mario Galaxy too.

I'm sure too. It's a game you could play together, as there's a mode which allows a second remote to collect the stars about.

Don't forget an extra remote and nunchuck. It's worth getting Wii Play for the second remote, as it's got some decent remote training games on. Billiards/pool in particular I found to be entertaining, and laser hockey. Worth the fiver on top of a remote.

Associate
OP
I'm sure too. It's a game you could play together, as there's a mode which allows a second remote to collect the stars about.

Don't forget an extra remote and nunchuck. It's worth getting Wii Play for the second remote, as it's got some decent remote training games on. Billiards/pool in particular I found to be entertaining, and laser hockey. Worth the fiver on top of a remote.

Cool idea, thanks Syph. So I need to get:

1 Euro to UK adaptor.
1 Wii play (comes with Wiimote)
1 Wii Nunchuck
1 Sonic and Mario at the Olympics

I reckon that will do (Galaxy and other games will wait), Plus I know someone with a stack of Gamecube games which I belive this will play.

This is going to be a stonking Christmas! (as long as she doesn't prefer to play with the empty box :rolleyes: )

Soldato
Cool idea, thanks Syph. So I need to get:

1 Euro to UK adaptor.
1 Wii play (comes with Wiimote)
1 Wii Nunchuck
1 Sonic and Mario at the Olympics

I reckon that will do (Galaxy and other games will wait), Plus I know someone with a stack of Gamecube games which I belive this will play.

This is going to be a stonking Christmas! (as long as she doesn't prefer to play with the empty box :rolleyes: )

No probs chap, have fun. :D

Soldato
Yes, the Wii is fully backwards compatible with the Gamecube, but you will need a Gamecube controller and a Gamecube memory card.

Bet he'll be able to borrow them off said mate :)

I had to purchase 2 VC pads for some old skool SNES nostalgia with the now not so little brother. I still kick his ass at Street Fighter... makes up for the thrashings I get on Pro Evo! :p If you like your classics the Shop is worth a look over Christmas too.

Associate
OP
Bet he'll be able to borrow them off said mate :)

I had to purchase 2 VC pads for some old skool SNES nostalgia with the now not so little brother. I still kick his ass at Street Fighter... makes up for the thrashings I get on Pro Evo! :p If you like your classics the Shop is worth a look over Christmas too.

Oh yes. Oh the joys of having kids and being ables to buy them toys I wanna play with!

Am so glad I chose to get her a Wii instead of a 360 or PS3. She won't notice the lesser graphics but will definately love the ease of play and the fun of the Wii.

Thanks so much @ all

Merry Xmas ! :p

Soldato
Oh yes. Oh the joys of having kids and being ables to buy them toys I wanna play with!

Am so glad I chose to get her a Wii instead of a 360 or PS3. She won't notice the lesser graphics but will definately love the ease of play and the fun of the Wii.

Thanks so much @ all

Merry Xmas ! :p

My daughter is only 2, so I don't have that excuse yet! I have to hope the fiancée likes the games I'm after, otherwise it's a case of dump it in the trolley round the supermarket trick :D

Soldato
street fighter?? how do I do this? :D

What is a VC pad?

Does the Wii play snes roms?? If so woooo hooo!! and HOW? and is the same true of N64? Mario Kart 64 would be awesome :D

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking, didn't think I deserved a new thread.

Just got our Wii today :D

Cheers,

G

Associate
VC Pad ... I guess they are meaning the Classic Controller

The Wii doesn't play 'ROMS' as such... ie you can't just shove them on a SD card and use that - that's piracy. An ever expanding range of classic games that run under emulation (NES, SNES, N64, Megadrive, TurboGfx, NeoGeo) are available to buy via the shop channel on the Wii

Back
Top Bottom