Got my Samsung 550P5C today

Soldato
Use two fingers to scroll.

I moved the HDD to the optical drive bay in an adapter, then put an SSD in as a the boot drive, much, much snappier now! 5400rpm is simply not fast enough these days.

Soldato

I moved the HDD to the optical drive bay in an adapter, then put an SSD in as a the boot drive, much, much snappier now! 5400rpm is simply not fast enough these days.

Na that doesn't work. I'm downloading the driver now, was it because of that?

Soldato
With the trackpad drivers it should work fine, just use your index and middle fingers on the trackpad and it should scroll. I think it's an option in the trackpad options via a control panel.

Associate
Got the 17" i7 version. All in all i can say im very impressed with it. Put a 60GB SSD boot drive in it very impressed with the boot times over the mechanical one.. Only niggling problem i have with mine is the Centrino advanced wireless card, when upstairs Games lag/Websites dont load fully. Unsure wether its a wifi deadspot or the card..

Last edited:
Associate
Got the 17" i7 version. All in all i can say im very impressed with it. Put a 60GB SSD boot drive in it very impressed with the boot times over the mechanical one.. Only niggling problem i have with mine is the Centrino advanced wireless card, when upstairs Games lag/Websites dont load fully. Unsure wether its a wifi deadspot or the card..

see if there is a bios update, also check this out http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ca/en/cadhs1/DriverDetails?driverId=4KND4 make sure its an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 in the i7 model.

the bios update for me fixed connection problems to other wi fi spots, I installed drivers from above sorted two off connections, with the bios update fixed the third.

Kenneth.

PS mine is the NP550P5C-A03UK model.

Last edited:
Associate
see if there is a bios update, also check this out http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ca/en/cadhs1/DriverDetails?driverId=4KND4 make sure its an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 in the i7 model.

the bios update for me fixed connection problems to other wi fi spots, I installed drivers from above sorted two off connections, with the bios update fixed the third.

Kenneth.

PS mine is the NP550P5C-A03UK model.

I downloaded my Drivers for the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 card from the intel website..

As for Bios updates. do the pick up in the Easy software manager program samsung install? Or do i go through their websites like dell?

Associate
I downloaded my Drivers for the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 card from the intel website..

As for Bios updates. do the pick up in the Easy software manager program samsung install? Or do i go through their websites like dell?

hi Jacko

sorry for late reply, plastering the wall today :) find the update program from Samsung themself, http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP550P5C-T01US thats for mine get yours the i7 from them as well.

Kenneth.

Associate
hi Jacko

sorry for late reply, plastering the wall today :) find the update program from Samsung themself, http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP550P5C-T01US thats for mine get yours the i7 from them as well.

Kenneth.

Updated my Bios this morning. Doing the Wifi card from the link you provided. Hopefully this sorts it out :). Thanks for your help

:EDIT: The mahine seems to be More stable with wireless connections now.. Also runs a lot cooler when running WoW/SC2. TYVM for your help.

Last edited:
Associate

Hi Muel

I have this laptop too and want to move the HDD supplied to the ODD area, and then install a new SSD drive into the HDD area, as you did. Can you please give some details on how you did this? Do I need to buy anything extra to do this - what kind of caddy fits into the ODD space? I have taken off the HDD cover but cant find an ODD cover - did you have to remove the whole of the laptop back or am I not seeing an easy way to remove the ODD and replace it with a HDD? Many thanks for any help

Caporegime
Hmmmm just seen this laptop for 666GBP (outside of UK), same specs as OP except with an i7-3610QM for the processor... very tempted as it seems a great all-rounder.

EDIT - Seems the 650m is the DDR3 version... meant to be a fair bit slower than the DDR5 version...

Last edited:
Soldato
Muel are you using Java 64bit?
I am indeed, I tweaked a few settings in Minecraft and I now get a solid 40-60fps or so, tis good! Get that for about 4 hours or so. As standard, on battery the CPU is limited to 50%, so upping that to 100% made a big difference.

Hi Muel

I have this laptop too and want to move the HDD supplied to the ODD area, and then install a new SSD drive into the HDD area, as you did. Can you please give some details on how you did this? Do I need to buy anything extra to do this - what kind of caddy fits into the ODD space? I have taken off the HDD cover but cant find an ODD cover - did you have to remove the whole of the laptop back or am I not seeing an easy way to remove the ODD and replace it with a HDD? Many thanks for any help

If you remove the cover, there is a screw with an arrow and a label saying ODD, undo and remove that screw (fiddly), and the drive will slide out. Just pull on the tray/door.

You do need an adapter kit. I went for the SilverStone Treasure TS06. Search for "Slim ODD conversion tray for 2.5"" HDD or SSD + USB external slim ODD enclosure" on Ebay. The kit provides you with the adapter for mounting the HDD, and a caddy for the optical drive.

The hard part I found was making the optical tray cover/facia release from the drive. You need to mount this onto the adapter so it looks standard.

Associate
Thanks for that info Muel. Does your SSD drive fit well into that conversion tray? And does the conversion tray fit into the laptop well - ie fits easily, and no rattling/shaking? Also, I am not sure myself and hope you know, but are all SSD drives the same dimensions, so your experience fitting an SSD into the conversion tray will be the same as mine? Im not sure what SSD drive you have, but I was thinking about the following one:

NO COMPETITOR LINKING!

Its an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD, would that fit? And I am not sure if the laptop supports Sata 3, dop you know if it does?

Thanks for all your help

Soldato
Yep, drive fits fine, it's spot on. The tray fits perfectly, it has a small amount of movement if you push it, but no rattling or shaking at all. (So behaves exactly like the optical drive).

Remove the link, competitors to OCUK aren't allowed.

That'll fit yeh, I think all SSDs are the same dimensions (standard 2.5" hard drive dimensions) only the thickness changes, they can be 13mm or 7mm I seem to remember, but as the tray takes 13mm, 7mm drives also fit fine. I'd avoid any OCZ stuff though atm, their power supplies are toss, the SSDs have had serious faults in the past and the company is losing a lot of money, so may well be going bankrupt. I'd go for either the Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4. I have M4s in my desktop and laptop now.

The laptop does indeed support SATA3, I know because I've seen 480mbps read speeds from my SSD.

Associate
Thanks for that info, and sorry about linking a competitor product!

What SSD do you have in your laptop? I may go with the Samsung I think, what do you think of the Samsung 840?

Associate
I upgraded the cpu in mine. i5 3210m to i7 3610qm and the performance is way better its a beast, i can play guild wars 2 at the highest settings and i get 45 to 60 fps I cleaned both cpu and gpu with tim clean (very good) and used mx-4 thermal paste and when playing I get 85 to 90c where as the i5 gave me 80 to 85c, but then again the i7 is a quad core. Here are my specs now :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3610qm
GPU: Nvidia GT 650m
SSD: Crucial m4 256gb 6gb/s
RAM: 2xDDR3-1600 4GB Sticks

Soldato
I put windows 8 on yesterday and I already hate it, clearly meant for a tablet.

Anyway, anyone know whether there's like a standard set of windows 8 drivers for this laptop? To get the Fn buttons working again and whatnot?

Associate
I upgraded the cpu in mine. i5 3210m to i7 3610qm and the performance is way better its a beast, i can play guild wars 2 at the highest settings and i get 45 to 60 fps I cleaned both cpu and gpu with tim clean (very good) and used mx-4 thermal paste and when playing I get 85 to 90c where as the i5 gave me 80 to 85c, but then again the i7 is a quad core. Here are my specs now :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3610qm
GPU: Nvidia GT 650m
SSD: Crucial m4 256gb 6gb/s
RAM: 2xDDR3-1600 4GB Sticks

CPU upgrading never new that was possible, would you have links or even videos, pictures to the upgrade off the cpu, love to hear back from you thanks.

Kenneth.

Back
Top Bottom