Got Steam vouchers , HL Alyx ?

Underboss
I got Steam vouchers for xmas, which i still haven't used yet
i never thought of getting something in VR with it, and i just thought of Half Life: Alyx with the money

i do not know if i should get this, or something else ?

Soldato
Might be worth waiting for a sale, but it is one of the best PC VR games out there.

It doesn't do everything right - weapons are glued to one hand, there's no sprint, and there's no melee attacks (which will seem weird after playing Saints and Sinners which did that so well).

You can tell though that the game was designed for teleport originally as you can only jump across gaps using teleport.

But what it gets right, it really gets right.
In particular the puzzles you play to open locks are probably the most immersed I've felt in a game as it really makes you engage with 3D virtual objects in 3D space. You really feel like you're there.

The gravity glove grabbing mechanics are an evolution of distant grabbing we've had in other VR games, but it's implemented so well here in such an engaging way that it's really fun to use.

Soldato
Heard great things but also heard it's a "play once" kinda game

Not really. I've played through it a few times, and it's such a good experience it's worth repeating.

Second playthrough was on easy, to get all the remaining achievements, with developer commentary on, which was really interesting.

Then you have the mods, and there are some amazing ones, including a Bioshock mod. It's definitely worth having.

Soldato
I stopped playing it when I got half way through the Jeff "experience", as I was semi-scared, but convinced myself it was because I was on the verge of a new GPU :) ...now I have the 3090 I really should take on Jeff again!

Last edited:
Soldato
Headcrabs are much more scary when they're leaping at your real face.
Also they're huge - they look tiny in 2D, but they're not in proper 3D.

Back
Top Bottom