GPS tracker for a vehicle

Soldato
Greetings all

The GF is looking to get her dad a tracker for his van. He doesn't exactly live in the cosiest of neighborhoods unfortunately...

Were pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff so would really appreciate any help.

Man of Honour
There is a vast range from stuff even sold by the likes of Aldi through to solutions like Automatrics.

A lot of the run of the mill ones, using 3/4G usually, will be defeated if someone is determined, while some of the higher end solutions which use a variety of methods tend to hold up fairly well.

Depends how much they are prepared to pay - the cheap stuff will probably do against your local low level criminal types but not so much if you have a desirable car which is likely to be stolen to order etc.

Soldato
OP
There is a vast range from stuff even sold by the likes of Aldi through to solutions like Automatrics.

A lot of the run of the mill ones, using 3/4G usually, will be defeated if someone is determined, while some of the higher end solutions which use a variety of methods tend to hold up fairly well.

Depends how much they are prepared to pay - the cheap stuff will probably do against your local low level criminal types but not so much if you have a desirable car which is likely to be stolen to order etc.

I don't think she's looking to spend a great deal. He doesn't have much of great value in his fan at any one time so a cheaper one would probably do. She thinks he'd prefer one that didn't have to be charged if that's even possible?

Man of Honour
You can wire them in though that makes them easier to discover - some of the expensive ones have like 30 month battery life but the cheaper ones tend to be more like 1-2 weeks.

Associate
how old is the van? if newish maybe worth talking to insurance company they may have an approved system that can be fitted and save him money, to be honest if the van is that desirable they probably have suggested it.

if its just for the fact he carries tools etc in the back , the old answer i used to get from the insurance was remove them at night and lock them indoors, not always practical but thats insurance.

ive fitted one of the cheaper trackers into the daughters car (divorce and a dispute over who was going to get the vehicle, she got it at the end ,but he didnt give her the spare handset...) 6 months later i asked her how the tracker was going (runs with a sim card) and she hadnt even remembered to top up the card grrr

Associate
maybe better if you looked at additional locks plenty of fitting centres for security locks and not bad prices ? and the visual deterrent,

Soldato
OP
how old is the van? if newish maybe worth talking to insurance company they may have an approved system that can be fitted and save him money, to be honest if the van is that desirable they probably have suggested it.

if its just for the fact he carries tools etc in the back , the old answer i used to get from the insurance was remove them at night and lock them indoors, not always practical but thats insurance.

ive fitted one of the cheaper trackers into the daughters car (divorce and a dispute over who was going to get the vehicle, she got it at the end ,but he didnt give her the spare handset...) 6 months later i asked her how the tracker was going (runs with a sim card) and she hadnt even remembered to top up the card grrr

It’s a fairly old Transit, can’t imagine the van is worth much at all but as I said it’s in the rough end of Birmingham.

Out of interest, how much on average was your daughter having to top up?

Associate
if i remember she bought the cheapest payg sim (think gif gaf may have name wrong )somewhere around a tenner and the same every few months to keep it active although she didnt keep it up long , guess her mom didnt pay it :)

the unit was from ebay very small about 20/25 pounds and the fitting kit optional was another few quid. came with a app that you down loaded and you could check where the vehicle was and even track it on a map.(chinese ofc but most are)

we used to fit the insurance approved ones and they ran around middle hundreds and we had to sign customers up to contracts yearly for sims ect couple of hundred a year. (going back to early 2000 so price will be different)

from the unit i fitted on daughters very easy fit and seemed to perform well unit was about 2 inches square and about 1/2 thick had a slot cover you removed to put a sim and had its own cr32 battery (?) hence why i got the fitting kit.

have noticed if you look around on google etc they do a tracker with immobiliser built in for specific makes it looks like a relay with a sim and replaces a normal relay in the fusebox, other makes fit under kick panels etc , interupting the fuel or ignition and able to track and be remotely immobilised, never quite sure on the legality of them but nice idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom