• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
Everything has a finite life... having a card blazing 24/7 365 has to be detrimental to that.

I too believe that, but I don't have extensive evidence to back this up.

Heat cycling does play into it too I believe, but there's definitely a psychological element to not wanting a mining card for me. Id get one if the price I've made me tingle.

Soldato
Why against owning a card used for mining? It doesn't effect the card's performance.

I bought two cards from the last mining boom when it was tanking and they were covered in thick black gunk and dust. Both blowers and one of the fans wouldnt turn. It definitely affected the cards performance then !
(cleaned up and cooling replaced they worked fine!)

Associate
I bought two cards from the last mining boom when it was tanking and they were covered in thick black gunk and dust. Both blowers and one of the fans wouldnt turn. It definitely affected the cards performance then !
(cleaned up and cooling replaced they worked fine!)
Was gonna say it may not affect performance but I'd guess the average miner is going to buy the card and not look after it so that's the reason I wouldn't by a GPU used for mining.

Associate
Its all down to heat for me, not the pre assessment of whether the previous owner looks after the item. With heat comes electrical resistance, and with that comes wear. It maybe minimal but when miners are selling for the same inflated market prices as everyone else, I just find it hard to justify that purchase.

Soldato
People freak out when they get a product with a broken seal on the box or a disturbed anti-static bag, so they are not going to be happy with a mining card unless the price makes it disposable.

You don't know how it's been treated in a hot rack running 24x7, just that someone has been hammering it.

Man of Honour
People freak out when they get a product with a broken seal on the box or a disturbed anti-static bag, so they are not going to be happy with a mining card unless the price makes it disposable.

You don't know how it's been treated in a hot rack running 24x7, just that someone has been hammering it.

Of the 60-70 or so GPUs I can currently see the temperature for in multiple mining rigs in multiple locations (Through monitoring software I wrote for miners) the hottest card is sat at 67c the coolest at 53c

That's a whole lot cooler than a card thats being games on sees.

I understand the position of not wanting to buy a GPU that's been mined on, but heat and load aren't the issues, optimising a card for mining means reducing its power consumption as much as possible which means fairly large core voltage underclocks, the most likely failure you'll see from a mining card is bearing failure on fans

Soldato
Of the 60-70 or so GPUs I can currently see the temperature for in multiple mining rigs in multiple locations (Through monitoring software I wrote for miners) the hottest card is sat at 67c the coolest at 53c

What do you base that on my card averages 68c gaming and its not even under a custom loop ! Some water cooled GPU's are a lot cooler than that !

Soldato

I understand the position of not wanting to buy a GPU that's been mined on, but heat and load aren't the issues, optimising a card for mining means reducing its power consumption as much as possible which means fairly large core voltage underclocks, the most likely failure you'll see from a mining card is bearing failure on fans

That's not a valid comparison as gamers don't game 24x7, so a gamer's card is mostly idling at far lower temps and voltages for more of it's life than a mining card running as fast as it can at reduced voltage all the time. Gamers cards get switched off for a large portion of the day, where a mining card is still running. And who wants the hassle of a rattling fan that needs replacing? That's something that's going to have to go back to a manufacturer, assuming they will allow a warranty replacement on a second hand card that's been used for mining.

Man of Honour
That's not a valid comparison as gamers don't game 24x7, so a gamer's card is mostly idling at far lower temps and voltages for more of it's life than a mining card running as fast as it can at reduced voltage all the time. Gamers cards get switched off for a large portion of the day, where a mining card is still running. And who wants the hassle of a rattling fan that needs replacing? That's something that's going to have to go back to a manufacturer, assuming they will allow a warranty replacement on a second hand card that's been used for mining.

Electronics running 24/7 at a sustained temperature produce a lot less fatigue on things that are regularly heat cycled with 40-50c swings as that constant contraction/expansion of solder joints etc is what causes them to fail

My 1080ti sits around 29°C under constant gaming load, so I would beg to differ. ;)

That's not living an average life though ;)

It's not the card I'm bothered about but the type of person selling it that means I'd never buy a mining card.

What kind of person sells a mining card?

Man of Honour
It's not the card I'm bothered about but the type of person selling it that means I'd never buy a mining card.

You think you can tell what type of person somebody is based on if they have a gpu mine or not? I would love to see some sound reasoning behind this. I know for example that @Frozennova mines and is a really nice chap. I also know a few gamers that are *******. Casual mining does not dictate the kind of person somebody is.

Man of Honour
Someone was selling like 8 1060's from a mining rig, I don't see that as excessive, proof was provided as a picture surely that's fine?

I would class mining in any way shape or form as a business and therefore anyone offloading ex mining gear on the MM is trading which is against the rules.

OcUK and these forums has always been about gaming which means a maximum of 4 cards.

I really think OcUK should ban any mining gear being sold in the MM as it is bad for the members (Clapped out cards) and bad for the company.

Man of Honour
I would class mining in any way shape or form as a business and therefore anyone offloading ex mining gear on the MM is trading which is against the rules.

OcUK and these forums has always been about gaming which means a maximum of 4 cards.

I really think OcUK should ban any mining gear being sold in the MM as it is bad for the members (Clapped out cards) and bad for the company.

Clapped out and bad for the company is going a bit far IMHO, how many gamers will have paid the same £300 I paid for an Aorus RX570 (Bought as a gaming card primarily, but mined on casually), and I'm the sort of person that upgrades GPUs every ~5 years it'll most likely find itself in the bin rather than being sold on.

For dedicated mining I'm buying 2GB RX550s which gamers aren't buying, and will also would'nt sell on the MM if I was to try

Back
Top Bottom