• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/73yhd6/top_500_console_player_reached_top_500_pc_with/

you clearly haven't played with high skillers then. game skill is the most important factor in competitive fps.

top xbox player reached top 500 on pc with a controller.

i'd like to see a low skill player hit top 500 in overwatch using mouse and keyboard

Overwatch, playing support, yes it's impressive but it doesn't validate your point as OW is the least aim based FPS around right now. Try something like CSGO with a controller.

I've played my fair share of competitive FPS games at a high level to know that controllers are garbage for it. But anyhow, this is about rip off GPU prices not the tools we use to play our games.

Caporegime
Electronics running 24/7 at a sustained temperature produce a lot less fatigue on things that are regularly heat cycled with 40-50c swings as that constant contraction/expansion of solder joints etc is what causes them to fail
I read on a couple engineering sites that a 10 degree increase in operating temperature results in a halving of expected lifespan.

Any comments on that?

Associate
I read on a couple engineering sites that a 10 degree increase in operating temperature results in a halving of expected lifespan.

Any comments on that?

Entirely depends on the rated temperature for a given component. The bathtub curve is useful in predicting failure rates...

700px-Bathtub_curve.svg.png

Caporegime
Overwatch, playing support, yes it's impressive but it doesn't validate your point as OW is the least aim based FPS around right now. Try something like CSGO with a controller.

I've played my fair share of competitive FPS games at a high level to know that controllers are garbage for it. But anyhow, this is about rip off GPU prices not the tools we use to play our games.

It's related because people are saying they refuse to use a console because of a controller. Console gaming is the cheap option for many refusing to play on PC due to high GPU prices.

I've already stated a mouse is much more accurate. There is no doubting this and accuracy matters. However if people say they are crap using a controller on a console when up against other players using the same peripheral on a console then chances are it's their game skill which is lacking not the controller.

I've played with top 0.01% players in the world in Destiny. And with them beaten the guy ranked number 2 and I think 4 in the world at the time, in fact beaten multiple people ranked in top 100 and their system uses ELO. 1 of them has also beaten one of the top streamers / youtubers too whilst carrying and the streamers team was fully stacked.

I learned a lot by playing with them but what I learned had nothing to do with aiming. It was gameskill. How to use weapons, perks, abilities, movement more effectively.

It doesn't matter how accurate or good your aim is if you have no gameskill. I can have just an accurate aim as a top tier player in fact I'm pretty sure I sniped and killed the guy ranked 2nd or 4th in the world in a fair engagement where we were both playing the same sniper alley.

It's gameskill which picks apart the best from the rest. Not the peripheral, not the monitor, not your ping, etc.

These do make a difference but gameskill is the biggest factor.

The same players in the top 0.01% I played with in Destiny were also top tier players when they transitioned to PC and CS:GO. They found the game a lot harder but their gameskill dragged them up. It takes years to hone a mouse yet they played top tier within days after playing on console exclusively before hand.

Soldato
I use a controller where I can, if I play games on my 49" TV, nothing better to chill out with a game on the couch using a controller. But a PC is much mroe attractive than a console, more customization, more power, but yes, I probably could have got an XBOX 1 X, S, PS4 Pro for the money I've forked out and not even got an up to date rig and not even a top of the line GPU. But PC's still rule.

Soldato
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/73yhd6/top_500_console_player_reached_top_500_pc_with/

you clearly haven't played with high skillers then. game skill is the most important factor in competitive fps.

top xbox player reached top 500 on pc with a controller.

i'd like to see a low skill player hit top 500 in overwatch using mouse and keyboard
Overwatch isn't a good example tbh as it isn't very good as a competitive FPS. The maps are poorly designed choke points and the abilities diminish the need for real player skill, it plays more like an FPS version of wow than anything else. If it was something like Unreal Tournament I'd be more impressed.

Associate
Overwatch isn't a good example tbh as it isn't very good as a competitive FPS. The maps are poorly designed choke points and the abilities diminish the need for real player skill, it plays more like an FPS version of wow than anything else. If it was something like Unreal Tournament I'd be more impressed.
I'd be more inclined to point out said controller user would have been getting a massive dollop of aim assist when using that controller.

Soldato
It certainly isn't as dependent on aim as the average FPS is, and I am also not that surprised that a great player can get to high ranking using a controller. It's still a competitive FPS though and I personally like how it isn't just about who can aim the best. Although the fact that you're reliant on teammates with a brain is infuriating. :D

I would never play FPS or RTS games with a controller.

Caporegime
i've used 1 example there guys i'm sure there will be others that was the first i found.

i stand by my point though gameskill determines how good a player is not the peripheral. a high skiller is capable of beating a low skiller using controller vs mouse just because he will rely on tactics which take away the accuracy advantage of a mouse. like well placed flashbangs, 200 IQ plays, etc. they will move in a specific way to cover themselves, they will pre-fire hiding places, etc.

i was playing CS:GO the other day and i was pushing A up banana. 3 team mates beside me. the first one runs round the corner and gets shotgunned. we all know he is behind the wall. second team mate runs past the wall and shotgunned. third team mate runs past and shotgunned.

so what do i do. i pre-fire as i come around the wall and kill him. i then told my team over voice comms wtf are you playing at you all knew he was there around the wall and you all rush and die. their reply was he had shotgun. i was like yes you knew that when he killed the first guy. you also knew where he was. why didn't you pre-fire or use a flash? no reply. he then agreed he should have flashed. but why couldn't he think of that when gaming? because his gameskill and thought process / decision making wasn't quick and/or good enough.

this is why gameskill is the most important factor. those arguing otherwise haven't played with proper high skillers. i've seen a guy literally carry 2 other players through 9 straight wins to the lighthouse in destiny. something only the top 3% of players ever achieve yet he done it whilst carrying 2 people. 3+ k/d in the hardest game mode where they average person has a k/d of like 0.5, a game mode where a top 10% player can only just about break even with a k/d of 1

Soldato
@Psycho Sonny Just to let you know I'm bowing out of this console discussion. It seems you don't particularly want to discuss any of the points I've made, and instead you seem rather keen to regale us with tales of your gaming prowess; something I'm afraid I don't care much about, and don't find particularly relevant. You do you though fella, no malice.

Roll on GTC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom