• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU to replace ageing 800gtx tri sli, multi monitor

Man of Honour
I'm about to do some upgrading. At the mo 8800gtx tri sli with a Q6600 at 3.6 and 4gb ram.

Will move to either 2500k or bulldozer if it is any good and released soon with 8 or 16 gb. I run three monitors for work 2x 19 inch 4:3 and a 24 inch 1990 x 1200 in the middle. I need to continue to run 3 monitors but not bothered about gaming on 3 (and understand I would need to change the 2 19 inchers to match my main screen's resolution - correct?)

When I upgrade CPU / ram / motherboard I want to switch GPUs as well as and would like a setup that produces less heat and noise to deal with but that lets me game at 1990x1200 with very high quality settings and allows me to use three monitors for work.

What would people recommend? No fixed budget but don't want to spend more than I have to to get what I want performance wise. Will certainly want to be playing BF3, not sure what else yet (truth be told I don't get that much time for games but will work on the PC everyday)

PSU isn't an issue as have 1000w

Soldato
6950 would be good.
I presume your PSU is a reputable brand?

If you want to stick with nvidia, then 560 SLI/670 SLI/ 580 SLI. Pretty difficult to spec without a budet!

However, i'd stick with your current setup until the next generation of graphics cards come out ;)

Man of Honour
OP
6950 would be good.
I presume your PSU is a reputable brand?

If you want to stick with nvidia, then 560 SLI/670 SLI/ 580 SLI. Pretty difficult to spec without a budet!

However, i'd stick with your current setup until the next generation of graphics cards come out ;)

Thanks, it's an Enermax :)

One other factor is I am moving the Q6600 (with its watercooling) and ram and one of the 8800gtx into my media PC so I would be left with 8800gtx sli in the main one for a bit but I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

I guess to try to tie down a budget ideally less than £300 but give or take. If a 6950 would do the trick at 200 ish that would be great but may be I should wait. What's the word on next gen release dates?

Soldato
Thanks, it's an Enermax :)

One other factor is I am moving the Q6600 (with its watercooling) and ram and one of the 8800gtx into my media PC so I would be left with 8800gtx sli in the main one for a bit but I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

I guess to try to tie down a budget ideally less than £300 but give or take. If a 6950 would do the trick at 200 ish that would be great but may be I should wait. What's the word on next gen release dates?

Jan for nvidia. apparently any time now for AMD low end?

EVGA 460SSC for £120 new if you look ;)
2 of those would do nicely :D:p

Back
Top Bottom