• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPUs are just getting bigger and bigger...

Soldato
My 670GTX Windforce is 28.4mm and is literally 1/2 cm away from hugging the harddrive rack in the case, and GPUs just seem to get bigger and bigger.

It's a weird issue I know, but my case is large (though clearly poorly designed for the future (2012 model)) and none of the modern cards can fit in it? Doesn't anyone else find it odd that they just keep making them bigger. In 10 years time will we need 5ft long cases to fit anything in?

Anybody else have this issue? Might have to saw out a big hole in the harddrive rack. Every 1070 I've seen is 29-31cm long. :confused:

Soldato
I guess when more card use HBM they will get smaller, although they might still have the cooler taking up more space.

Soldato
My 670GTX Windforce is 28.4mm and is literally 1/2 cm away from hugging the harddrive rack in the case, and GPUs just seem to get bigger and bigger.

It's a weird issue I know, but my case is large (though clearly poorly designed for the future (2012 model)) and none of the modern cards can fit in it? Doesn't anyone else find it odd that they just keep making them bigger. In 10 years time will we need 5ft long cases to fit anything in?

Anybody else have this issue? Might have to saw out a big hole in the harddrive rack. Every 1070 I've seen is 29-31cm long. :confused:

FEs are 269mm? There are non founders that are less than 290mm. Look harder :)

Associate

I experienced the opposite actually - last gen cards (970) seemed to be getting smaller and smaller, making it hard to find one with a decent cooler! I think we're in for more of the same with the 1070 and 480 with short PCB models likely to come out once the bling/early adopter/OC crowd get their premium dollars out of the way.

Soldato
I've got to try and get one of these new GPU's in a Silverstne SG05 mini-itx case!!!

I'd prefer a 1070/1080 but NVidia greed is causing me to look at AMD...

Associate
The 970 took up less space in my case than the 7870 it replaced. I think it's just the nature of the FE coolers making them so long.

Also I recall there was a well received ITX 970 so we will no doubt see the same

Soldato
:confused: So are the new GTX 1080 FE cards bigger then 780ti Titan cooler type GPU's ?? :confused:

If the GTX 1080 FE are longer then there not going fit in my case :(

Last edited:
Soldato
:confused: So are the new GTX 1080 FE cards bigger then the last gen Titan cooler type GPU's ?? :confused:

If they are longer then there not going fit in my case :(
[/URL]

They are not. Same length. 10.5 inches for 1080FE and ref Titan x / 980Ti and prior gens. Was something I had to triple check due to space constraints also due to a tube run.

Soldato
Looking on NVidia website they say the GTX 1080 is still the standard length (10.5 inches)

Which is been the standard GPU length for many years

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd never really looked anywhere other than the top vendors for cards though, I know there's a KFA2 1070 that's tiny and no doubt a few others.

I'm looking at: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ics-card-gv-n1070g1-gaming-8gd-gx-188-gi.html

Or if the prices are silly still in a week or so: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-155-gi.html

Both cards are a fair bit longer than my 670 of the exact same vendor/model, and won't fit.

The KFA2 triple fan is 13 inches (!!)
The Zotac AMP which looks decent doesn't even specify it's dimensions, but it looks gigantic

Am I just a sucker for triple fans? I'm a Windforce fanboy (though who can blame me for a card I've never seen go above 59c) and a few of my friends who's spoken to me about their cards have stock coolers with only 1 fan and their cards can breach 80c+

I think I'd freak out because I've never seen my card push 60+ or my CPU push 75+, and even though Google says up to 80-90 on a GPU and 95 on a CPU can be safe, I'd never do it.

Would you say an aftermarket cooler (like the one in that NASA looking computer above) would beat Windforce? I could always grab a small card with a naff cooler and stuck one on it.

DIY on the tower would require taking everything out, and god only knows how badly I'd end up putting all back together. :D

Soldato
It's a problem / stalemate we are all rapidly approaching regarding tech in general. Heat.

Back when I started building PC's there wasnt a single Fan in a PC. The CPU had a passive cooler and that was it. Then the CPU got a fan. Then the case got a fan. Then the GPU got a heatsink. Then the GPU got a fan, Then the north and south bridges got a heatsink, GPU's got multiple fans and massive heatsinks. then the Ram got a heat sink.

We can all see the trend. It's a bit worrying. Are CPU's and GPU's are limited by heat production now. Just look at the heatsink on GPU's now. They are utterly ridiculous when you think about it. Sure we develop better technologies that allow more speed at the same temp, but they are really just sticky plaster solutions, they aren't revolutionary and only buy you another year or so. How long before everything ceases to advance? I think we are pretty close now. How long before our RAM has it's own fan? The north bridge? It's coming....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom