Gran Torino

Associate
Thought the film was good, Clint was brilliant and loved his 'dont give a f' attutude BUT sadly the suporting cast let it down, i could have acted better then then all of them put together.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Just watched this, I love the puns that he does and when he calls the girl YumYum ..lol

& also thought that he would go out all guns blazing , still worth the watch

Associate
Below is a light spoiler for those who have seen the film:

[reading aloud from the newspaper] Your birthday today, Daisy. This year you have to make a choice between two life paths. Second chances comes your way. Extraordinary events culminate in what might seem to be an anticlimax. Your lucky numbers are 84, 23, 11, 78, and 99. What a load of ****.

said during the film and basically summed it up, thought it was a good film, i enjoyed it, heart warming.

Soldato
saw it in NY a couple of months back.....same with the wrestler ....both great films amongst all the crap which gets released.

for his age Eastwood continues to amaze.

Soldato
Saw this a couple of weeks ago.

A good film which is quite typical of the more recent of his films; slow to start burning with a lot of setting the scene time.

The performance by Eastwood was great and he just blended into the bitter role so quickly and easierly for me. However the film was let down by Toad and his sister for me, they really cannot act very well and it is very apparent that they can't within the first 5mins that we get introduced to them. A shame, as it almost spoils the film.. but just manages not to.

Don't expect all guns blazing style of Eastwood's older films but a slow burner with quite a few jokey lines.

7/10

Soldato
The performance by Eastwood was great and he just blended into the bitter role so quickly and easierly for me. However the film was let down by Toad and his sister for me, they really cannot act very well and it is very apparent that they can't within the first 5mins that we get introduced to them. A shame, as it almost spoils the film.. but just manages not to.

I agree with Toad not being able to act but I don't think his sister was that bad at acting.

Soldato
hmm she wasn't bad later on in the film but I think she kinda was abit dodgy during the start, but later on she does do a good job of it.

I have to keep going back to Toad as it is a shame really.. I said earlier his acting doesn't spoil the film but I think maybe it does. It was pretty terrible god knows why they settled for him..

Soldato
I agree with Toad not being able to act but I don't think his sister was that bad at acting.

Definitely especially as they have no previous acting experience. There was literally a flash audition at a football tournament in a Hmong neighbourhood, and those two were cast from it.

Thao, was definitely poor when it came to monologues, particularly if it involved any emotion, but in the general scenes I think he played a despondent teen with no direction pretty well. Nothing you wouldn't see on the street. As mentioned, the building office and barber scenes were hilarious.

Also, its quite difficult for Asian actors to shine in western cinema. I'm not sure what it is but the accent and language barriers really do hamper decent performances. Take Chow Yun Fat and Jackie Chan for instance, their earlier efforts, such as Hard Boiled, The Killer, A Better Tomorrow, Police Story, Project A, and even earlier Jackie Chan stuff, in Hong Kong cinema are simply brilliant. But they'd never really replicate such decent acting when speaking in English. Sad really.

Anyways, really enjoyed the film, thought the racist comments were hilarious, especially given how they bounced off the Hmong people. Seems familiar :p

It's not a perfect film by any means, but definitely one of the better films I saw this year.

Personally I thought he should have shot them all. They'll probably be out in 15 years. Oh wait, no, thats only over here ;)

Caporegime
Just finished watching this.

Was surprised by it in a very good way, enjoyed it a lot. Poor supporting cast, and it did show at times, Youa was a much better actress.

Clint, got this film spot on in my opinion, the pacing and mood of the film where brilliant.
He was brilliant in his role as Walt Kowalski, really brilliant, showing that there is a lot more the Clint then the Dirty Harry esk characters.

The ending, was poetic and very good.

"Father Janovich: Go in peace.
Walt Kowalski: Oh, I am at peace. "

Caporegime
Really enjoed this film, clint eastwood makes the ultimate grumpy old bigoted white man who comes good in the end, ive always enjoyed him as an actor, but as a director i think he has came on in leaps and bounds, i watched where eages dare the other night on dvd, not a great performance, but his career has evolved over the years from an action type into a very credible actor/director.

Back
Top Bottom