• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card help, 1060 vs 570 vs 580

Soldato
Hi guys im looking for a some help on a new graphics card but im not sure which to get.

Ive not played real PC games in about 2 years and im looking to move back and play some half decent RPG like I hear Monster hunter is a good one. so i dont know what I need.

Ive been look for a a 6gb 1060,

but what would be the benefit of getting a 6gb 1060 over a 3gb also what is the difference between a dual fan and a single fan model if both come with the same 3 year warranty.

then we have the AMD models which ive not really looked into

If I can I want to go with the cheapest option that will allow me to everything within reason.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
What resolution are you planning to game at? Does your monitor have freesync or g-sync?

580 8gb/1060 6gb are neck and neck, don't even bother with the 3gb 1060 as not only is it half the Vram it is also cut down on the chip itself, so is slower as well.

The 570 is slightly slower than a 580, the price difference at the moment means a 580 @ £199 is a better buy.

Soldato
OP
What resolution are you planning to game at? Does your monitor have freesync or g-sync?

580 8gb/1060 6gb are neck and neck, don't even bother with the 3gb 1060 as not only is it half the Vram it is also cut down on the chip itself, so is slower as well.

The 570 is slightly slower than a 580, the price difference at the moment means a 580 @ £199 is a better buy.

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 305t I normally run at 1920 x 1200 no sync.

Would it matter if I get the 8gb or the 4gb ?

From a quick look.
570 4gb £130 570 8gb £150
580 4gb £160 580 8gb £200
GTX 1060 3gb £190 GTX 1060 6gb £200

Unless I buy used

Get a 580, you get a free game I think and it’s the better / faster mid range buy right now.
The price is my main focus, I was considering waiting a little longer for the new Card but you dont know which way the prices will go.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't go for a 4gb card even at 1080p resolution, and your slightly above 1080p. I'd rule out the 1060 3gb it's not much cheaper than the 6gb 1060 and 580 8gb, but is half the vram and slower.

It does depend on the game you play, some will go over 4gb even at 1080p, so who knows what it will be like in the future.

out of the rest of the gpu's I'd go for the 580 8gb, for a few reasons.

The 8gb Vram will help out with games in the future. If you ever change your monitor for a higher resolution, i.e. 1440p you'll have the Vram head room already

It supports freesync, so you'll have a far wider and cheaper range of monitors to choose from if you ever change your monitor

It comes with 2 games at the moment, which you could sell on if you're not interested, thus bringing the overall cost of ownership down, or it will save you buying those 2 games if you are interested

However I see you said you are willing to go used, if so then you'll pick up a faster gpu than any of those you mentioned above, i.e. you're in 2nd hand 980Ti territory 2nd hand around those new prices

Soldato
OP
Personally I wouldn't go for a 4gb card even at 1080p resolution, and your slightly above 1080p. I'd rule out the 1060 3gb it's not much cheaper than the 6gb 1060 and 580 8gb, but is half the vram and slower.

It does depend on the game you play, some will go over 4gb even at 1080p, so who knows what it will be like in the future.

out of the rest of the gpu's I'd go for the 580 8gb, for a few reasons.

The 8gb Vram will help out with games in the future. If you ever change your monitor for a higher resolution, i.e. 1440p you'll have the Vram head room already

It supports freesync, so you'll have a far wider and cheaper range of monitors to choose from if you ever change your monitor

It comes with 2 games at the moment, which you could sell on if you're not interested, thus bringing the overall cost of ownership down, or it will save you buying those 2 games if you are interested

However I see you said you are willing to go used, if so then you'll pick up a faster gpu than any of those you mentioned above, i.e. you're in 2nd hand 980Ti territory 2nd hand around those new
prices

This maybe a silly question but why choose a used GTX 3 - 4 year old 980 which will likely be out of warranty and could be at the end of its life ?

My screen supports Native Resolution 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz
Whats the diffrence between the 570 and the 580??
also would it not be worth considering a lower ram model even if the prices was much lower. example ive seen a 1060 used for £110 with 2 years warranty left ?

Soldato
The difference between the 570 & 580 is about 10% performance wise. Imo the 8gb 570 is unbeatable value and 100% my first choice in your case. 1060s are too expensive, and the 580 as well but better value. Then we take into account the free games you get with a 570 and... it's the easiest hardware choice you'll ever have to make. With your monitor, definitely go with the 8gb version no matter WHAT, it will make a crucial difference, and do play at native res, why deprive yourself of the beauty of 1600p?

Do NOT get a single fan card, they will throttle like mad and be noisy & hot.

Associate
The difference between the 570 & 580 is about 10% performance wise. Imo the 8gb 570 is unbeatable value and 100% my first choice in your case. 1060s are too expensive, and the 580 as well but better value. Then we take into account the free games you get with a 570 and... it's the easiest hardware choice you'll ever have to make. With your monitor, definitely go with the 8gb version no matter WHAT, it will make a crucial difference, and do play at native res, why deprive yourself of the beauty of 1600p?

Do NOT get a single fan card, they will throttle like mad and be noisy & hot.

THE FPS between the 570 and 580 is generally 10%. But there are games like AC Origins/Odyssey that are about 20% on ultra. So you wonder if newer titles the gap will grow between the 2 cards.

If money is tight go for the 570, if not go for the 580 8gb. Or would we say 580 4gb over 570 8gb? Eventually 4gb limit may see you need to reduce settings I suppose.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys thats helped a lot, Ill give it a few days see if any of the suppliers put any January deals on a get what ever is the best option at the moment im leaning towards the 570 8gb due to the price.

Soldato
4gb already gets filled in some games even at 1080. 8gb is going to be much more future proof. Don't even consider 3gb, it's not enough and you'll find your unable to use high detail in many games. Doom 2016 for example wanted 5gb for it's max settings (or it wouldn't even let you select them), a 2 year old game.

Once you hit the vram limit FPS will tank massively and it won't be a smooth experience.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree with others dont go for 4gb, I have a gtx 980 and its served me well but in some modern games I cant max out the textures at 1080p so I drop them to high or very high. This will only get worse in the future, in a year you may be stuck with medium textures with 4gb of vram, meanwhile the same card with 8gb will be maxing out the textures.

I would wait until CES in a couple days and see what that brings to the table, if nothing interesting gpu wise (im hoping for vega 2 to replace 980) get the 570 or 580 8gb, they're great for 1080p and will max most games 1080/60 like my 980. Im just upgrading because im going 1440p.

Soldato
Would it be worth waiting for the 2060/1160 release? Might end up with a fair few mid range cards hitting ebay as they get swapped out.

Soldato
Would it be worth waiting for the 2060/1160 release? Might end up with a fair few mid range cards hitting ebay as they get swapped out.
Those Nvidia cards will most likely priced at the north of £250~£300+.

The £200 580 8GB or 1060 6GB with free games would be better deals, especially considering they can be ordered and used right away rather than waiting for release at god knows what price.

Soldato
Those Nvidia cards will most likely priced at the north of £250~£300+.

The £200 580 8GB or 1060 6GB with free games would be better deals, especially considering they can be ordered and used right away rather than waiting for release at god knows what price.

I meant that there might be more mid range second hand cards available once people swap to the newer cards. If the OP is ok with a used card.

Soldato
I meant that there might be more mid range second hand cards available once people swap to the newer cards. If the OP is ok with a used card.
Price to performance isn't really going to be much of a jump with these new 12/14nm cards, and most people with 580 or 1060 ain't going to be upgrading until the 7nm arrive, most likely in late 2019.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
most people with 580 or 1060 ain't going to be upgrading until the 7nm arrive, most likely in late 2019.

If I can I want to go with the cheapest option that will allow me to everything within reason.

On top of marine's post there is a good supply of used cards due to the mining slump and people that have had these cards for a couple of years could be jumping on the rtx flavour / 590 sidegrades so there should be good choice and prices to be had.

Soldato
OP
I agree with others dont go for 4gb, I have a gtx 980 and its served me well but in some modern games I cant max out the textures at 1080p so I drop them to high or very high. This will only get worse in the future, in a year you may be stuck with medium textures with 4gb of vram, meanwhile the same card with 8gb will be maxing out the textures.

I would wait until CES in a couple days and see what that brings to the table, if nothing interesting gpu wise (im hoping for vega 2 to replace 980) get the 570 or 580 8gb, they're great for 1080p and will max most games 1080/60 like my 980. Im just upgrading because im going 1440p.

Thanks for the advice, I will aim for a 6gb-8gb card, Im not too sure about CES even if something is shown its likely we wont see anything for sale till mid to end of the year, so we wont be anle to tell how good they really are till then plus you know the price will not be anything reasonable and the old ones my go up again thats my worry.

I did consider waiting but from Nvdias record they will charge as much as they can for it likely £300 from predictions and it may not release till mid year.
as for 2nd hand it maybe worth wait it but again the 2nd had price may not drop that much if you cant get a hold of any new 1060 or 580 and the newer models are not reasonable on top of that i would be waiting 6 months that is the issue I see.

Soldato
I did consider waiting but from Nvdias record they will charge as much as they can for it likely £300 from predictions and it may not release till mid year.
as for 2nd hand it maybe worth wait it but again the 2nd had price may not drop that much if you cant get a hold of any new 1060 or 580 and the newer models are not reasonable on top of that i would be waiting 6 months that is the issue I see.
IMO just get this and be done with it:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37p-sp.html

New cards coming in at £250~£300 range won't be anything to shout home about performance increase wise unless they are on 7nm instead of on 12/14nm. If you think of the 2 free games that comes with the RX580 as £25 each, you essentially only paying £150 for the card.

If we are being realistic here, may be the question you should ask yourself is if it is worth you waiting for another half year or more, spending extra £100-£150 (66%~100% extra) for cards priced at £250~£300 with no free game, with the best case scenario of performance increase of...let's say 15-25% faster at launch?

Also keep in mind that waiting also meant there's the "cost" of not being to able game properly for the next 6 months+ as well.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If we are being realistic here...waiting for another half year or more, spending extra £100-£150...with no free game, with the best case scenario of performance increase of...let's say 15-25% faster at launch?

Also keep in mind that waiting also meant there's the "cost" of not being to able game properly for the next 6 months+ as well.

This. Get the linked 580, sell on the games if you can. Revise in a years time and see if there is anything classed as an upgrade but be prepared to pay for that. :)

Soldato

They are still only 3-6gb cards, so the same problem will persist. Even if it performs better it's all for nothing if it's vram limited. With a 580 you might lose 5fps, but you'll be able to run some games with detail levels that a 4-6gb card can't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom