• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card out of stock - is this a decent replacement?

Associate
OK, so the video card I wanted is out of stock, but I think I've found a replacement.

How do the below cards compare, apart from £40 difference! (They are both from a certain online-only shop based in Sheffield).

The one I wanted: Asus Extreme X850XT 2DHTV 256MB PCI-E 2xDVI

The one I think is just as good: Connect 3d Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDRIII PCI-E + DVI + TV (3026)

Discuss :)

Associate
Surely they are exactly the same cards but with different aftermarket coolers, and/or a better stock overclock set

Associate
I had a connect 3d 850xt and it was a decent gfx card, it did struggle a bit in FEAR though. It also overclocked to pe speeds easily enough too and the memory went on quite a bit further too though the core wouldn't do much more than pe speeds.

Can't comment on the ASUS one though, sorry. I would assume there is little to choose between them though.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I'm not really interested in overclocking, I just want a solid system to play the latest games on without struggling!

If the Asus doesn't come back in stock by the time I'm ready to buy then I'll get the Connect3D card. Thanks again :)

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Don't buy either!

The X800 series really is past it sell by date, so unless they are sub £100 they are not worth looking at.

7600 GT is a much quicker and superior product, you should be looking at those or an X1800 GTO or X1800 XT. Far superior cards for similar money. :)

Associate
rich_g85 said:
On the whole upgrade, I'm spending just over £500. Already bought the CPU, an Athlon 3700+ and the RAM, 1Gb of Corsair ValueSelect.

Still got the mobo, graphics card and PSU to get.

I've set a budget of around £180 for the graphics card.
You can def get better GPU for the money these days, I would have been very tempted with a X1800 when they were on special offer, price wise prob one of the nvids at the mo although if you can wait there `may` be another price reduction on the ATIs` if that`s your preference :)

LoadsaMoney said:
£180 will get you the Sapphire x1800 XT 256mb, an absolute stonking card that will blow the x850 away. :)
EDIT: doh, did not see the Sapphire x1800 XT 256mb for that price !

Even better, it`s £170 ! ! ! . . . . . .Buy, Buy, Buy, Buy. . . . . . . . ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
you want to play the latest games yet you decide on getting an old gfx card? go for atleast a 7600gt. they cost around 130 quid delivered and offer shadermodel 3.0 and all the other latest options.

Associate
Like the others said, the X850 is way past its sell-by date. The X1800XT is a steal at £170. I just bought one, and I'm very pleased with its performance. BTW there's a group test of graphics cards in Custom PC this month. They conclude, "in [the high-end] category, the outstanding model is the ATi Radeon X180XT, which can be bought for just £230".

Back
Top Bottom