• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card prices?

Soldato
These prices are disgusting. The whole community will ultimately be a shadow of its former self if £2,000 GPU’s become the norm.

Soldato
No one I hope. I will be totally priced out of this hobby of mine for over two decades because of this madness. I can only hope it eventually all calms down, but I can see at least the next year - possibly longer, being painful.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
This just really seems to be a game of keep ratcheting the prices to see what mugs will pay the asking price.

some mugs have no option, imagine if you're gpu dies. im on a 1070 which isnt that old but still nearly 5 years old. imagine all those on 900 series cards and similar aged amd stuff. they have no option but to spend if something happens now.

Associate
Xbox series S has been in stock all day today so far. Bag one of these while you wait for gpu prices to come down (if they do), allows access to many newer games (can always sell it on after getting a new gpu). People who I feel sorry for are those who have a gpu die on them and need to replace at these prices. No way I am going to ebay to buy a gpu from a scalper who just bought the card from an etailer and is charging double, it just supports scalping (especially with no warranty).

Last edited:
Soldato
Xbox series S has been in stock all day today so far. Bag one of these while you wait for gpu prices to come down (if they do), allows access to many newer games (can always sell it on after getting a new gpu). People who I feel sorry for are those who have a gpu die on them and need to replace at these prices. No way I am going to ebay to buy a gpu from a scalper who just bought the card from an etailer and is charging double, it just supports scalping.
This is why it's always worth hanging on to an old GPU even if it's only like a gtx770 or something.

G J

G J

Associate
Are we at the stage yet where it would be cheeper to get a return flight direct to the factory for a FE card rather than pay the 1k+ all the people in the middle need to make for profit on a non FE card. :D

Soldato
It's mental right now. I snagged a 3060Ti FE a few weeks back at MSRP.

Not using it much at all right now so stuck it on Ebay during the £1 final value, it sold for £935 :eek::eek:

Decided to keep it as didn't feel right selling for that much.

Soldato
It's mental right now. I snagged a 3060Ti FE a few weeks back at MSRP.

Not using it much at all right now so stuck it on Ebay during the £1 final value, it sold for £935 :eek::eek:

Decided to keep it as didn't feel right selling for that much.

Fair play to you. I would have been very nervous

You can sell it here

Associate
This is why it's always worth hanging on to an old GPU even if it's only like a gtx770 or something.

Definitely, I run 2 rigs. I play older games on a rig with a Vega 56, (the Vega was bought brand new for £235). For newer games I have the rig below. Using ITX builds mean that they don't have to take up much space. Playing older games on an older rig also puts less wear on the newer rig so hopefully those parts will last longer but I still get 60+ fps in all the games I play.

Associate
I think the crazy second hand prices combined with the current mining boom is also allowing people to spend the extra money who would not have spent so much otherwise.
In my case I had a 3090fe ordered back in Jan, which I cancelled same evening as there was no way for me to justify spending so much for "gaming".
However having failed to secure a card since and seeing how prices were just going up I managed to secure another 3090fe delivered on the 1st of this month.

This time I was able to justify it to myself by selling my GTX 1080ti for £500 and mining almost £500 since Jan. I am still mining now and at current rate will hopefully have cleared off the total purchase price of the new card by end of next month. Assuming BTC doesn't tank by then I would have swapped out my 1080ti for a 3090fe, a new AIO cooler and a new case without having to spend a single penny out of my pocket!

Having said that there is no way I would have purchased a non FE card, as with increased price comes increased risk due to the ROI becoming really long which in turn leads to longer time mining and more wear and tear on the rest of your system. Although if you are a professional miner I guess this would not matter as much.

Soldato
some mugs have no option, imagine if you're gpu dies. im on a 1070 which isnt that old but still nearly 5 years old. imagine all those on 900 series cards and similar aged amd stuff. they have no option but to spend if something happens now.
that would be a tiny minority, unless amd and nvidia are sending out self destruct codes in drivers. although wouldnt put it past them if they could

Back
Top Bottom