Graphics card upgrade suggestions for old fogey

Associate
My ASUS Nvidia GEForce GTX770 2Gb graphics card is no longer coping with modern games so I want to replace it. Having looked around I was thinking that a GTX 1070 might do the job, but there are so many different types available that I could really use some advice on which one to go for.

If you think I'm mistaken in going for a GTX 1070, I'd be happy to hear alternative suggestions – I can stretch to £500 if necessary.

I don't know enough to overclock, I don't need coloured lights on the card, I don't play multiplayer online. I just want something that will give me high quality gaming for as long as possible before it needs upgrading again.

My system consists of
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H motherboard
i7 4790 CPU
16GB (2 X 8GB) Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
Monitor Resolution 1920 x1200

Thanks in advance for any help.

Associate
There are some good deals on the 1070ti card's, it depends on the game's you play,as it's easy to go overboard,but you do have to think about the element of future proofing,as you may get more demanding game's later.

Associate
At £500 a 1080 is in reach (marginally better than the 1070Ti) and with the RTX cards finally here you might find some good deals on 1080Ti’s if you can hold out for another month or two as we approach the holiday season :)

But, that might be overkill and would depend on the games you play and what level of settings you expect to play them on.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all of the suggestions. For reasons of future proofing I am drawn to the idea of pushing my budget to the limit , maybe even a 1080, then asking Santa for a new monitor (I hadn't realised how long I've had my current one)
I really appreciate the friendly supportive tone of this forum.

Associate
Thanks for all of the suggestions. For reasons of future proofing I am drawn to the idea of pushing my budget to the limit , maybe even a 1080, then asking Santa for a new monitor (I hadn't realised how long I've had my current one)
I really appreciate the friendly supportive tone of this forum.

Why not hold off until around that time and get a graphics card black friday/cyber Monday/Xmas/Jan Sales.
That way you can enjoy a big smack in the visual eyes all in one go together.
The 2××× Will be out, mining is calming down at the moment and doesn't seem to be following last year's trend of 'going to the moon' so you may just get a better deal or have more cash to put towards a better monitor or a raid on fast food takeaway and a portaloo, going South Park style with new addictions to your new rig.

Graphics cards seem to be only just coming back down to recommended retail prices from 2 years ago when they were launched.

Anyways, either way, keep us posted. I know it's hard to not scratch the upgrade itch

Associate
Why not hold off until around that time and get a graphics card black friday/cyber Monday/Xmas/Jan Sales.
The 2××× Will be out, mining is calming down at the moment and doesn't seem to be following last year's trend of 'going to the moon' so you may just get a better deal or have more cash to put towards a better monitor or a raid on fast food takeaway and a portaloo, going South Park style with new addictions to your new rig.

Graphics cards seem to be only just coming back down to recommended retail prices from 2 years ago when they were launched.

Anyways, either way, keep us posted. I know it's hard to not scratch the upgrade itch

I agree with this, if you can hold and wait for sales you might get a great deal on both GPU and Monitor which would give your system a huge fresh feel when gaming :)

Soldato

Also agreeing with this unless it's urgent. Youll probably be kicking yourself come black Friday if you spend too much now.

Associate
OP
I know it's hard to not scratch the upgrade itch

I'm afraid I had already scratched that itch by the time this very sensible advice arrived. I am waiting for my new EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC from ******. Now that decision has been made, there's no point torturing myself by looking at prices as they fall in the weeks to come.
I do intend to take the advice about waiting for black friday for the monitor though. My current monitor is a 24" Samsung 2443BW. To be honest I was fairly happy with the look of it - my problem only emerged recently with Wolfenstein II New Colossus. Since they updated the driver recently my GTX 770 no longer had sufficient video memory and I've had to turn the settings right down. Still, having upgraded the graphics card it seems it will be a waste of the new card's potential not to upgrade the monitor too.
I'm not sure I see any need to go above 24". I sit so close to it that I'd have to have my head on a swivel to see the whole of a bigger screen at once. I'd welcome any suggestions for a decent monitor at a sensible price - one that will use the capabilities of my new card and maybe the next one too.

Associate
OP
Think a lot on here use Freesync 144hz monitors with Nvidia cards because their £200+ cheaper. 1080p 144hz , using upscale to 1440p would work nicely

I like the sound of £200 cheaper, but would I regret not getting Gsync ? if not now then maybe over the life of the monitor.

Do I need GSync? I play mostly FPS games and I think I read that input lag can be a problem without it. Then again, I'm too old and slow to play against youngsters online, so I only play single player and 99% of any delay is coming from me, not the equipment. I've also read about micro stutter but I don't know how much of a problem that might be for me.

Associate
I'm afraid I had already scratched that itch by the time this very sensible advice arrived. I am waiting for my new EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC from ******. Now that decision has been made, there's no point torturing myself by looking at prices as they fall in the weeks to come.
I do intend to take the advice about waiting for black friday for the monitor though. My current monitor is a 24" Samsung 2443BW. To be honest I was fairly happy with the look of it - my problem only emerged recently with Wolfenstein II New Colossus. Since they updated the driver recently my GTX 770 no longer had sufficient video memory and I've had to turn the settings right down. Still, having upgraded the graphics card it seems it will be a waste of the new card's potential not to upgrade the monitor too.
I'm not sure I see any need to go above 24". I sit so close to it that I'd have to have my head on a swivel to see the whole of a bigger screen at once. I'd welcome any suggestions for a decent monitor at a sensible price - one that will use the capabilities of my new card and maybe the next one too.

Ha ha, every time I look at technology I torture myself with endless research, reviewing, comparing, YouTubing. Trying to get myself the best bang for buck and make me feel happy about my purchase.
Weather it’s a tv, graphics card, kettle or lightbulb, I can’t help myself!

Thus far I have managed to resist getting an expensive 65 Oled for the last 3 years, yet spent countless hours watching and comparing all models.
I have new toaster, yet no new kettle.
I broke on the lightbulb thing and have started spending (what some would say) silly money on having Phillips Hue lights and switches dotted around.
Now, resorting into scrambling for info on Graphics cards. Offering good advice, yet still trying not to break as I’m still hammering the research and not sure if I can hold out for the sales yet!?

What usually takes place is I can either have a chemical change in the brain, see sense and go research a kettle or something of less value.
Or sometimes I put myself out of my misery and buy a shiney new item, going all in with a purchase to put an end to the many already invested hours of time spent looking.
I think 1080 would be overkill for me. But then price structures kill me, as this will be my last piece to upgrade before a full system in maybe 2-3 years time. I’m leaning towards a 1070ti as same price as 1070. The MSI at £410 looks tempting. But then I see a 1080 is only £70 more.........grrrrrrr. My brain fools me all the time.

That’s why I’m waffling now as I’m trying to fight the madness.
Oh another thing I convince myself is that I don’t smoke or drink loads and end up convincing myself that a 1070ti or 1080 is only same as 4 or 5 nights out, yet I at least have more than 5 nights enjoymen5 and something to show for my money.

This is what normally tricks me the most. Apologies for waffling on here. The Mrs doesn’t understand technology and most of my social circle now doesn’t. So nice to speak with folk likeminded. Or have some comfort that someone may read my block of text and feel similar when it comes to the upgrade/buying new shiny stuff bug.

Thanks for anyone that got this far.
Cheers folk........Amen!

Back
Top Bottom