• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Cards overpriced! What is your max price?

Associate
What do you guys think about current graphics card prices?
Personally I think they are a joke! The last graphics card I purchased was a then top of the range Geforce 1080 which at the time was nearly £500. This I though was overpriced but wanted it to get the best for my recently then purchaced overpriced Occulus rift headset.

The newest Nvidia and Radeon mid-high level cards are priced around £1500 which is a months wages for many!

Personally I think current prices are related to limitations with silicon yeilds and lage die sizes. In other words they cannot make many so price high due to low supply.

How much are you willing to pay and why?

Soldato
About £700, so 3080 MSRP was fine with me. Obviously that's been proven fake so I got a 6800 for £600 and feel good about it all things considered. Once I heard even the 3090 struggles with RT in Cyberpunk I stopped caring so much. Clearly the "full fat" RT experience will take another gen or two for 4K.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
About £700, so 3080 MSRP was fine with me. Obviously that's been proven fake so I got a 6800 for £600 and feel good about it all things considered. Once I heard even the 3090 struggles with RT in Cyberpunk I stopped caring so much. Clearly the "full fat" RT experience will take another gen or two for 4K.
I must be super lucky I got my 3080 FE and after selling games it worked out around the same you paid then :D

I am hoping the spec sheet released by CDRP is accurate. If so I will be played maxed out with RT at 4K.

Soldato
these are massive companies prices are perfect to sustain sales and fund future r and d.. If prices were not too high sales would tank and the company would collapse

Man of Honour
I'll pay for what I need but at a price that feels right. While it is subjective there is a price that feels value for money for a GPU.

Soldato
I was geared up to spend 650 ish this month but it's kinda dawned on me that the games I still get most enjoyment out of all run fine on my 1080 at 1440p and g sync.

I imagine even Cyberpunk will be perfectly playable. But chances are I'll get that game on a Series x or Ps5 anyway.

Permabanned
I don't think they are overpriced - apart from the fact that there is a huge shortage at the moment and in some places that is driving prices up ( if you can even find one ).
I have to say that I think NVIDIA really dropped the ball ( again ) on this one. The chronic shortage must be affecting stores and PC builders who simply can't get any stock. Not to mention PSU manufacturers who have been caught horribly short by the demand for 850W power supplies. Oh, and case manufacturers who have been hit by the shortage of toughened glass. It's all really sad. I really feel sorry for the outlets. They have probably already been hit hard by Covid, now there is huge demand and no stock. And make no bones, the effect of Covid on the economy will kick in soon which will probably affect the PC market ( reduction in sales ) which is going to kick them when they are down.

Soldato
250 max for mid range i.e 75fps mostly max settings 1440p. Which is what i bought the vega pulse 56 for last year. Ill wait till similar priced but better for new games in a year or so.

But dont think i should really get anything better till i can be bothered to upgrade mb ram and cpu but the thing is no games need a cpu upgrade for me yet.

Associate
Depends how long I'm expecting to keep it. £200 for 1-2 years. £600 for 4 years.

Would pay a bit more for a higher power efficiency card. Energy saving over time, and because it will encourage me to keep it longer - won't feel like I'm burning money by delaying as much. Nvidia horrified me this time around with that!

Soldato
Mine was £500. Got an FE so paid £469.

Sold my 1070 for £180 minus fees so a doubling of FPS for £300 was just right for me to have zero regret.

Soldato
it all depends on the card. I would pay £650RRP for a 3080 although going backwards on ram from my current card (1080ti) feels wrong.

however I want to wait till the chips fall and see what things are like when everything settles down - and hope Brexit doesnt foul up the £ next year.

I am looking for a full system upgrade - the zen 3 5900x looks nice - my cpu is 5 years old this week - but my rig is still decent enough for now so am not panicking. my next card will do raytracing hwoever, without it my 1080ti is acceptable. (add to that however £1500 is too rich for me.... a £900 3080ti with 12gb and similar performance to 3090 or a 6900xt if AMD get an equivalent to DLSS going however...... i could stretch to that.

Soldato
I doubt I'd spend more than £200. Maybe just a bit over. When you're getting to nearer £300 - I'd be thinking it's easier to just get a PS5 / XBox.

If I was getting one, it would be a 3060 (or AMD equivalent) level card once all the hype dies down.

Soldato
In fact, the last card I bought was GTX 970, £245, came with a free SSD and Far Cry Primal IIRC. Card was ultimately £200.

I'm looking to replace it and would spend up to £300 but I've no idea what I'd buy for that.

Permabanned
~£750 mark. If we had a choice of something offering outstanding performance, say a 3090 with twice the RT cores of the 3080 then I'd spend more.

Currently using 1080Ti, 980Ti with 290, 7950 on the shelf. Main laptop has a 1070.

Back
Top Bottom