Great Shot!

• Thread starter Thread starter DRZ
  • Start date Start date

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Just a quick note to say that every photo posted here, no matter how good or bad, how far off it is in terms of composition, lighting or subject it is deserves a two thumbs fresh from me...

Of course, I dont mean that at all. Over the past 8ish months in this subforum there has been a slip from good, honest constructive criticism to people either posting "Great shot" or not posting at all (with the exception of a very small number of posters).

While its nice to post and have your photographs praised, it isnt helping your photography at all. There is a set of shots on page 1 of this subforum that has nothing but "good shots", "I want that as my desktop" etc when the photos really arent that special (in my opinion) and there is lots of technique missing. Unfortunately the culture/trend in this forum of so many people either not knowing what a good shot is or praising away anyway means that for someone like me to come along and post what I think about a shot and how to improve it would mean I was looked upon as some kind of party pooper. Its not good for that kind of culture to be in somewhere like this, where we used to rip each others photos to bits and give some genuine constructive feedback. OK, some of the best photographers on the boards have migrated elsewhere but the current crop shouldnt let the standards drop.

Please, before you post "great" shot, just think about if it actually is a great shot or if its just average - and think of ways you would improve the shot either with post processing or technique to bear in mind in future.

On the other side of the fence, I have seen people get criticism only to be told "post your shots if you think you can do better then". I was going to post a reply in that thread in some detail until I read that comment. I then decided that person doesnt deserve help if that is their attitude. Everyone is learning here, even the professionals so dont be afraid to take some criticism. Your shots wont be liked by everybody!

Its not helping anyone to continue the way this is going.

/rant

MrSix said:
I believe I aired this view a few months back and got completely slated for it, purely because my views didn't agree with the majority. One of those people was you DRZ.

IIRC, you were taking someone to bits because they chose to use a particular technique. It ceased to become constructive and became just plain rude/way off topic. Thats a perfect example of critique gone past the point of being constructive. The reaction from the people that read it should go a long way to helping to understand why.

Im not expecting miracles or demanding anything by this thread, I would just like an atmosphere where I can post some help without feeling like the culture of the forum would see it as being offensive/unwarranted.

Back
Top Bottom