Great Shot!

• Thread starter Thread starter DRZ
  • Start date Start date
Agree wholeheartedly with the OP, however the criticisms have to be open for debate, one person saying "your picture doesnt work because x, y z" doesnt necessarily mean that that person has a valid point.

What is needed is more of a discussion about the merits of a photo from multiple subjective viewpoints, almost critiques of the critiques!?!

:confused:

PaulStat said:
I've taken it as a rule of thumb here, if no one comments on a photo i've posted I get the picture that it's crap :p

Whereas i'd rather know what's wrong with it.

Thats what I've taken it to be in the past.

Also the reason that I post very few photo's now - I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time - I'm just playing with things that look cool with no idea whatsoever if they work.

I'm a mechanical person - give me a pile of gears and a casing and I know what to do - give me something arty, and I'm screwed. I don't have an ounce of artistic sense in my entire body.

In the last month or so, I've taken over 3000 pictures. I've only posted maybe 15-20 of them, and most of them were of a pretty average nature.

But I do suppose that most of my photo's have a reasonably limited audience appeal.

Simon/~Flibster

I agree....

And I disagree.. :)

I agree that we shouldn't just sit here patting each other on the backs for photographs whatever the quality. We certainly shouldn't be made to feel like a forum pariah if we say we do not like a picture because of x or y.

But....

1) We can go too far. Places where everyone is a critic, every picture has every possible artistic or technical attribute thoroughly dissected by everyone, their brother and their dog. Everybody feels that have to say something along the lines of, yes, but if you had framed it like....or used a different iso, or.... whatever. This leads to the possibility of an atmosphere where anyone without the confidence (or part of a particular clique and yes they DO exist at OcUk) is scared to break what appears to be that particular forum's photographic rules. We could feasibly stifle creativity as well as obviously bad technique.

2) Some of us, and I count myself as one of them so mind the ego, have the confidence to know when they have taken a good photograph. Especially if it's in an area we have some experience in it. So all we may be doing is sharing some pictures and saying.

"I like these pictures. Do you like them?"

This is important because photography is so subjective. I can't please everyone with my photographs all the time so I don't bother. But if I've done some good work, I like to share it with others who may like it as well. Doesn't even have to be for the same reasons.

So....

Yes, critique is helpful and necessary so we shouldn't be scared of it.

But also, some of us like to share photos and have people just post that they like it. After all, everybody's egos need feeding sometimes don't they? :) So keep the 'nice shot' posts coming. We appreciate it.

If this place turned into a forum where every picture post was treated like a mini competition with all and sundry acting as judges because you cannot post without everyone feeling they HAVE to make some sort of technical comment, then I'd be out if here like a shot (so now you know what to do ;)).

Therefore: Balance in all things.

As of recent I have become some what guilty of this. When I first started posting here I tried to give as much constructive critic as I could and explain why I am commenting on that picture. But now I feel ignored by a lengthy comment I put and for it to not get acknowledged and It makes you feel like "Why should I bother"

So many people are now buying cheap decent equipment and like "cough cough, dev art" the important is lost behind the hype of something new to shout about.

MacX said:
Yes, critique is helpful and necessary so we shouldn't be scared of it.

But also, some of us like to share photos and have people just post that they like it. After all, everybody's egos need feeding sometimes don't they? :) So keep the 'nice shot' posts coming. We appreciate it.

If this place turned into a forum where every picture post was treated like a mini competition with all and sundry acting as judges because you cannot post without everyone feeling they HAVE to make some sort of technical comment, then I'd be out if here like a shot (so now you know what to do ;)).

Therefore: Balance in all things.

Having just come back to this board after about 12 months away, I have noticed the number of comments and critiques have dropped away. But as MacX says we do need the balance so new members (or those returning) feel that they are able to post work, and learn.

But, as stated further up the post, the most dispiriting thing is when nobody can raise the interest and so requests for c+c go unanswered.

Well luckily for me, I have no problem hurting peoples feelings when it comes to criticism. One thing I have seen in this forum is more photos leaning towards art than pure photography. Now I don't mind this, and if I think a photo is good art, and not just good photography, I will post that it's a good shot. I'll also post if it's a bad shot. If it does nothing at all for me (and I can't see how it could be improved), I don't post as I see no need to as I've nothing constructive to say on the subject.

P.S. How do you go about flogging Camera equipment on here? You need a kabillion posts to allow you to access a sale section?

Must admit this forum certainly can be a little daunting. No doubt about that. I've had a few posts in here now and met a few people who frequent this forum, but by no means do I feel at home. Mainly because of my own lack of technical knowledge. I tend not to post 'nice pic' messages, simply because I have little valid criticism to add at this point.
Personally when I post pictures I'm looking for constructive criticism (this is after-all a means of gaining knowledge and moving forward), but also I suppose i'm looking for some encouragement. It is nice to share something that you feel happy with, and have other people praise you, as sad as that might be. For instance, this evening I managed to get 20-30 decent shots at a gig. For me this is a big step because I actually managed to understand what was going on!, and tomorrow I'll post some pics. Obviously I'll be looking for constructive criticism and general tips etc, but also I'll simply be sharing something that I have accomplished.

I think my point here is that it's very difficult for a none regular to gauge exactly how this forum functions. Is it a place where people seek technical advise?. Is it a place where people share images which they have taken and feel proud of?, or is it a little of both?.

King_Boru said:
Shall we stay on subject. Kind of going backwards here.

OP - Ask one of the mods to make a sticky. Place all the advise one needs before posting. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of clutter and the 'What camera?' threads around.

Also a sticky about 'Do you really need an SLR?' Discourage people buying them for the sake of it. Which happens a lot these days, they only end up using the scene modes which is absurd. For this type of shooting a high end compact is more than sufficient.

King.

As I am new to this forum I find this comment worrying.Are you suggesting that SLR's should only be bought buy someone who can use it to it's full potential?
Surely the whole idea is that as these cameras come down in price and therefore become more available then this forum should help and encourage people to benifit from their new camera.
I have only just been able to afford a camera (not SLR) which isn't just a point and shoot, but I have browsed this forum for sometime looking at photo's and trying to gain tips.
Surely if some one wants to ask a "what camera" then let them,what's wrong with someone trying to find out if a camera suits them.
Yes people need to realise that there will be honest and constructive critisism if they post pictues but please,as a new member to photography don't make this a gentlemans club forum.

Steve_h said:
As I am new to this forum I find this comment worrying.Are you suggesting that SLR's should only be bought buy someone who can use it to it's full potential?

I think he means that people are trendwhores. If lots of people buy DSLRs and take brilliant shots with them, then others will too in the hope that they can get just as good shots. Why should someone need to spend £500 on a body and then continually spend on lenses when they might just be happy with a £150 or £300 digital compact that has manual creative modes on it? I started with a film SLR years ago, then I got a digital compact for its manual modes, Av Tv M, because they would allow me to play just as I would on a DSLR. Some people just don't need a DSLR.

Back
Top Bottom