1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green corner rot on LG 32UD99 4K IPS monitor

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by IT Troll, Feb 1, 2020.

1. IT Troll

Wise Guy

A few months back I noticed a slight green tint in one of the corners of my LG 32UD99-W under certain conditions. Since then this has gradually grown in size and vibrancy and has now spread to all four corners and along the bottom edge.

After Googling the issue I discovered many other reports of the same on monitors that are around 2-years old (mostly in the customer reviews of a major online retailer). It seems that once the fault appears it only gets worse over time, eventually encroaching well into the panel. I searched the forum here but didn't find any similar reports.

For some people the green rot has appeared shortly after their warranty has expired and they are rightly very unhappy. This was not a cheap monitor as it was targeted at the "pro" market. I still have a couple of months of warranty remaining and so I am hoping LG will come good. I opened a support case a week ago and I am still waiting to hear back from them. The receipt said I would receive a response in 24 hours...

[​IMG]

2. varkanoid

Sgarrista

You need to chase this they know you have a couple of months left and taking their time is a sign !

3. Snapshot

Mobster

If you paid by credit card, be prepared to get your CC company involved. They will have to kick the retailer who, in turn, will have to kick LG but I can assure you that, from being on the retailer end of it, it's a severe PITA so things tend to happen as a result.

4. Mcnumpty2323

Mobster

Used to be
    Under sale of goods act
    Though it's now consumer rights act
    Or something ~so you will have to see if its still the same if you bought it after 2015
    Sale of goods act said regardless of warranty
    It had to last "a reasonable time"
    No definition of reasonable time though expensive item 5 or 6 years was usually about it
    I stood in tescos with a friends faulty tv
    To be told its out of warranty
    I wouldn't budge
    Demanded the manager
    He told me the same
    I demanded he phone head office
    They agreed with me
    She got new TV there and then
    And got to keep old one which worked except had to manually turn it on
    After that remote worked fine

5. IT Troll

Wise Guy

Still no response to my support ticket. Web chat seems to be permanently unavailable 'due to technical reasons'. No response to my Twitter DM to the LG UK Customer Care account.

Do we still have an LG rep in this forum?

6. Mcnumpty2323

Mobster

That's really poor support
    From a company like LG
    Sorry don't know
    If there's an LG rep on these forums

7. IT Troll

Wise Guy

They responded to my support call after a second Twitter DM. Now they want me to jump through hoops by testing with different sources/cables. :rolleyes:

8. Mcnumpty2323

Mobster

Pretty much par for the course
    Same as when phone up
    About broadband issues
    To be fair to them they are probably
    Following a yes/no flow
    Chart
    As a lot of the time customers have
    No technical knowledge and
    It's down to user error
    It's annoying though when you
    Totally know its hardware fault but
    Have to jump through hoops
    Regardless
    Main thing is got an answer
    And hopefully get it sorted now

9. JediFragger

Capodecina

New one has been pretty awol so far, a shame really as Daniel used to be pretty decent. Let's see if @Alice Gibbs gives you some help with this (don't hold thy breath, ex-Acer rep).

10. IT Troll

Wise Guy

That's a shame. I exchanged posts with Daniel when I was originally considering this monitor.

I've jumped through the hoops and repeated all the information I provided in my original email and already exists in my registration profile. Let's see what happens next...

11. IT Troll

Wise Guy

4 more emails and 11 attachments later, LG have agreed to collect and repair the monitor.

Fingers-crossed they do a good job.

12. IT Troll

Wise Guy

Just received my monitor back and thankfully they made a decent job of the the repair and fitted a new panel. :)
    It took 48 days beginning to end. :(

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020