Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [14th - 19th January 2022]

Soldato
Slowly all these covid postponements have gone from 'we've got x players out with covid or self isolating so we can't fulfil the fixture' to 'we've got 1 maybe 2 players out with covid and a load of injuries/players at a tournament we knew they'd go to when we signed them so can we have a game off?'

Caporegime
Slowly all these covid postponements have gone from 'we've got x players out with covid or self isolating so we can't fulfil the fixture' to 'we've got 1 maybe 2 players out with covid and a load of injuries/players at a tournament we knew they'd go to when we signed them so can we have a game off?'
I agree, but where do we stop now? Just a few days ago Burnley got their game postponed for a mixture of Covid cases, injuries and players at AFCON.

Would it be fair and consistent to refuse Arsenals request on the same grounds just a few days later?

Soldato
I agree, but where do we stop now? Just a days ago Burnley got their game postponed for a mixture of Covid cases, injuries and players at AFCON.

Would it be fair and consistent to refuse Arsenals request just a few days later?
No absolutely it's not having a specific pop at Arsenal a lot of them are at it to a degree.

Think the prem will need to start pushing back at some point or clarifying the rules. Or this will go on all Jan until the AFCON finishes.

Soldato
I agree, but where do we stop now? Just a few days ago Burnley got their game postponed for a mixture of Covid cases, injuries and players at AFCON.

Would it be fair and consistent to refuse Arsenals request on the same grounds just a few days later?

What happens to the semi final next week is what id be looking at personally. Could be in doubt now.

I do think next season though they need to enforce it better. Liverpool have at some times had 10 players out injured and could easily have pulled a covid break. They might have to stop LFT testing without symptoms.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What happens to the semi final next week is what id be looking at personally. Could be in doubt now.

I do think next season though they need to enforce it better. Liverpool have at some times had 10 players out injured and could easily have pulled a covid break. They might have to stop LFT testing without symptoms.
Probably will be fine to play Thursday no worries, I’m more interested in the consistency of the premier leagues decisions.

Associate
I don’t think red cards should be a reason for postponement. Surely if bans take you below the threshold you should have to bring in players from below the first team, or it gives no punishment for red the card at the time of being issued. Ie we are wait for AFCON to finish and arsenal to rejuvenate their team to minimise the damage of a red card, which is not what this postponements were designed for anyway.

Caporegime
I don’t think red cards should be a reason for postponement. Surely if bans take you below the threshold you should have to bring in players from below the first team, or it gives no punishment for red the card at the time of being issued. Ie we are wait for AFCON to finish and arsenal to rejuvenate their team to minimise the damage of a red card, which is not what this postponements were designed for anyway.
That’s a flawed argument. Red cards are given to punish the player at the time of the offence and to further punish the player by missing games. If their unavailability means that the minimum amount of players cannot be met then postponement rules should come into force.

Associate
That’s a flawed argument. Red cards are given to punish the player at the time of the offence and to further punish the player by missing games. If their unavailability means that the minimum amount of players cannot be met then postponement rules should come into force.
But the rules were bought in due to
COVID. Arsenal have 1 player with covid. Two players have been released on loan and 1 due to red card. You know that in reality there is a 95% chance the ‘injured’ players (Saka) will be back with a full strength squad for Thursdays game. This is not about being able to field a team, it is about resting the squad to try to beat Liverpool mid week.

Don
But the rules were bought in due to COVID.
I don't believe this is correct. As far as I know, there's always been rules in place in circumstances where a side doesn't have enough available players to fulfill a fixture. Covid has just meant that these circumstances have come about so often.

Soldato
But the rules were bought in due to
COVID. Arsenal have 1 player with covid. Two players have been released on loan and 1 due to red card. You know that in reality there is a 95% chance the ‘injured’ players (Saka) will be back with a full strength squad for Thursdays game. This is not about being able to field a team, it is about resting the squad to try to beat Liverpool mid week.

The problem is tho that teams have been taking advantage of this all season. Im not sure its fair now, as much as it would be hilarious, to change it now.

Soldato

Nah arsenal are lying, clearing its all made up...

Back
Top Bottom