Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [2nd - 3rd October 2021]

Soldato
I remember Ty trying to use the rain excuse.

If you want to see really turd conditions, have a watch of the Portsmouth v Sunderland game earlier. No idea how that didn’t get called off.
It’s a fair excuse on occasion but when your opponent is playing some really good stuff like they were it kinda falls flat.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Terrible from Arsenal, Spurs result looking a real one-off.

Did you watch the game? Spurs were absolutely awful in the first half. Comically bad.

It was akin to when Spurs took us apart 6-1 last season. Neither of us were beat by scintillating football cutting us to pieces, it was god awful defending and positioning from the team.

Soldato
Considering our line-up had 3 outfield players who were new signings, is the youngest team on average in the league (an average which would be even lower if not for a couple of players like Auba pulling it up) I’ll take a draw away from home against a well-drilled side where we still managed to look relatively solid at the back for most of the 90 and had one or two decent chances ourselves. It might be disappointing if you’re comparing Arsenal to one of the top sides and think we’ll canter to a win every week but we’re an upper-mid table outfit looking to get back into the EL spots so… realistic expectations.

If you’re going to have a bit of a mare on a day like today, at least don’t lose and 10 points from 4 games isn’t a bad return. I swear every time we lose it’s a relegation battle and every time we win it’s the start of some months long unbeaten run. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Watching the MOTD highlights of the United match. How many Doucoures were on the pitch today?! He's all over the place

Edit: also, Bruno's interview was far more honest and reasonable than Ole's. Not good enough, need to work on it whereas Ole is just bluster

Soldato
Ole isn’t exactly going to come out and say something along the lines of;

once again my plan hasn’t worked, mainly because we have no plans to be fair.

I don’t know if he can surround himself with a load of quality coaches whether or not that would help. His in game management is poor. Even yesterday there was a bit of coherent between Cav and the others but that went as soon as Ronaldo came on the pitch.

Soldato

I don’t know if he can surround himself with a load of quality coaches whether or not that would help. His in game management is poor. Even yesterday there was a bit of coherent between Cav and the others but that went as soon as Ronaldo came on the pitch.

I agree but dont come out and say you had total control when you didnt. You just look amateurish.

Caporegime

Yesterday was just a complete mess. I understand it was a friendly but we totally smashed Everton in pre-season and the whole team played absolutely fantastic.

It just feels like the team is gassed already. No urgency to close down during that high press which is why we constantly get caught out at the back.

It is really frustrating as sometimes he can have a master class one week then a dog turgid performance the next. We started out so brilliantly in August but the last 4 games have been diabolical.

Caporegime
Last season we were great at counter attacking teams and scoring.

This season our opponents are hitting back and creating great chances or scoring against us on a counter.

It's almost like we need to adapt and put players in the right position to stop it.

Soldato
Yesterday was just a complete mess. I understand it was a friendly but we totally smashed Everton in pre-season and the whole team played absolutely fantastic.

It just feels like the team is gassed already. No urgency to close down during that high press which is why we constantly get caught out at the back.

It is really frustrating as sometimes he can have a master class one week then a dog turgid performance the next. We started out so brilliantly in August but the last 4 games have been diabolical.
It is a mess. We've become a bit like Galactico FC. Sign the best players and let them figure it out if they can be bothered, then blame the solid workhorses when it doesn't work. Football is a team game and we don't see enough leadership at United. It's all too nice and accommodating. Now we are seeing it begin to boil over as Ronaldo figures out that United just aren't nasty enough and that starts with the coaches. Who is going to be a bit worried if Carrick or McKenna is ****** at you. Ole is hardly going to put the fear of death into players. Of course we dont see what goes on behind the scenes but I sense it lacks the real intensity that is required at the top level.

I haven't seen a masterclass from this team for years despite the individual quality. We are one of the poorest organised teams in the league and people clamouring for another mega signing in midfield to solve the problem are deluded. It won't paper over the lack of disciplined play that is required to succeed at the top level. Ole just seems happy to be there and that's not good enough. Of course we've had the serial winner as coach and that hasn't worked. We should have got rid of Pogba in the summer instead we've kept a player who isn't committed to the club, has fleeting moments of brilliance but can't be trusted to play where the club needs him. We should have given vdBeek a run at making it as a six but instead we've left a £40m player languishing on the bench until his career is in tatters. The sad thing is that nothing will change - the fans have that perennial hope that all of a sudden it will "click" but it won't with this coaching set up and the attitude of some of the players. Too comfortable by half.

Caporegime
It is a mess. We've become a bit like Galactico FC. Sign the best players and let them figure it out if they can be bothered, then blame the solid workhorses when it doesn't work. Football is a team game and we don't see enough leadership at United. It's all too nice and accommodating. Now we are seeing it begin to boil over as Ronaldo figures out that United just aren't nasty enough and that starts with the coaches. Who is going to be a bit worried if Carrick or McKenna is ****** at you. Ole is hardly going to put the fear of death into players. Of course we dont see what goes on behind the scenes but I sense it lacks the real intensity that is required at the top level.

I haven't seen a masterclass from this team for years despite the individual quality. We are one of the poorest organised teams in the league and people clamouring for another mega signing in midfield to solve the problem are deluded. It won't paper over the lack of disciplined play that is required to succeed at the top level. Ole just seems happy to be there and that's not good enough. Of course we've had the serial winner as coach and that hasn't worked. We should have got rid of Pogba in the summer instead we've kept a player who isn't committed to the club, has fleeting moments of brilliance but can't be trusted to play where the club needs him. We should have given vdBeek a run at making it as a six but instead we've left a £40m player languishing on the bench until his career is in tatters. The sad thing is that nothing will change - the fans have that perennial hope that all of a sudden it will "click" but it won't with this coaching set up and the attitude of some of the players. Too comfortable by half.

I am one of those who have that perennial hope that it will click but even that is strained at the moment. It is pretty obvious the coaches are just not at the level required. Ole needs to get brutal and shake things up as it is obviously not working. Mckenna came in when Jose results went south. Not saying the two are linked but he just always looks clueless.

Soldato
I am one of those who have that perennial hope that it will click but even that is strained at the moment. It is pretty obvious the coaches are just not at the level required. Ole needs to get brutal and shake things up as it is obviously not working. Mckenna came in when Jose results went south. Not saying the two are linked but he just always looks clueless.

Him getting brutal doesn't change his poor choice of teams, tactics and subs. You're able to be brutal and tough when your tactics work because the team respects you.

Masterclass one minute and turgid the next... honestly you're beyond rose-tinted...Ole hasn't performed a masterclass since 1999.

Soldato

This. And I feel similarly about Pogba as about VdB. Why not start Pogba in CM, give him a free role with Matic or McTominay mopping up behind him? Yes, they're not top drawer CDMs and you'd need to buy improvements, but it at least would show an intention to get the best out of your best players and clearly show why a CDM is needed. I fully expect Ole to go blow £50m plus on a top CDM and then stick him next to Fred

Back
Top Bottom