Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [5th - 7th August 2022]

Soldato
Very impressed by Andersen on Friday, never really paid much attention to him before. Saliba also good, reminds me a little of Hansen.

Not convinced about playing Eriksen as a lone striker, he has a good shot on him and as a teenager I saw him as an effective right forward, but I think he's better pulling the strings a bit deeper. He doesn't offer blistering pace nor a dominant physical presence through the middle. Fred should spend less time doing his hair and more on training his reactions.

Laporte is injured and Stones is a liability, so he's the best option now Zinchenko has been sold meaning Cancelo has to play LB.

Shoulder barge innit, although not totally clear where he made contact, if it was in the back then it's a foul.

I'm not sure you can go about shoulder barging people in the box with no intent to play the ball.

However it's United at Old Trafford. Surprised it wasn't Howard Webb reffing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I dunno, when I freeze that vid at halfway it looks like a shoulder barge, he's in contact with his arm not extended at all. In fact his hand/forearm is across his own chest rather than into the opponent, which is exactly what you'd expect from the 'leaning in' action of a shoulder barge. There's maybe a slight push off following that which is kind of a natural move anyway to gain stability (shift your centre of gravity back after the lean) but he pulls his hand away super quickly, there's not really much follow through like a proper push.
It's more at 00:03 where I start to question if it's more of a nudge in the back than the shoulder, I guess he's barged him on the back of the shoulder rather than side.

Don
I'm not sure you can go about shoulder bathing people in the box with no intent to play the ball.

However it's United at Old Trafford. Surprised it wasn't Howard Webb reffing.
Howard Webb returns to head up the PGMOL and Utd get two dodgy decisions on the opening day. Coincidence?

Soldato
Howard Webb returns to head up the PGMOL and Utd get two dodgy decisions on the opening day. Coincidence?
2? Try 3 maybe 4. Pen not given, handball in the buildup to the goal, red card challenge from mctominay and 2 yellows for maquire.

Was feeling a bit deflated after Saturdays performance from us (we seem to have a couple of those a season in us) but can always guarantee man u to cheer me up :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
2? Try 3 maybe 4. Pen not given, handball in the buildup to the goal, red card challenge from mctominay and 2 yellows for maquire.

Penalty should have been given, the rest are debatable at best. The "handball" in the build up to the goal shouldn't have been given, the McTominay one wasn't anything like as bad as some are suggesting and now you're falling back to "yellows that should have been given". Come now.

Some of you are just a little too fixated on United especially considering how bad we have been for so long and yet you still obsess about us.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Penalty should have been given, the rest are debatable at best. The "handball" in the build up to the goal shouldn't have been given, the McTominay one wasn't anything like as bad as some are suggesting and now you're falling back to "yellows that should have been given". Come now.

Some of you are just a little too fixated on United especially considering how bad we have been for so long and yet you still obsess about us.
As a Brighton fan I’m fine with the yellow card, I’d be angry if it was our player and a red. It was pretty 50/50, and had McT been a bit quicker we’d probably be arguing for a Brighton red.

The handball in the lead up to the goal, not sure what the rules are now but I’m okay with that as long as it’s consistent (lol).

The penalty decision though I am just baffled at, to me that’s a yellow card and a sending off (I think he was already booked at this point?) as there is literally no attempt to play the ball.

fez

fez

Caporegime
As a Brighton fan I’m fine with the yellow card, I’d be angry if it was our player and a red. It was pretty 50/50, and had McT been a bit quicker we’d probably be arguing for a Brighton red.

Yeah, the Brighton player did a weird two footed jump to get the ball but like you say, it was a 50:50 and there was no intent. It wasn't dangerous or reckless and football is a contact sport.

The handball in the lead up to the goal, not sure what the rules are now but I’m okay with that as long as it’s consistent (lol).

They have changed the interpretation on handball again this season. They didn't seem to even show it well enough to see if it was a handball on Sky from what I saw. They quickly moved on to check if Maguire had fouled the keeper I think.

If an attacking player’s accidental handball immediately precedes another player scoring, the goal will now be awarded, when last season it was likely to have been ruled out.

However, a player will still be penalised if he commits an accidental handball immediately before scoring himself.

So from that, even if it did hit his arm, he didn't score the goal so it would stand. His arm wasn't in an unnatural position either.

The penalty decision though I am just baffled at, to me that’s a yellow card and a sending off (I think he was already booked at this point?) as there is literally no attempt to play the ball.

Yeah, it was a penalty any way you look at it. Just stupid. Can't remember if he was already on a yellow at that point.

Caporegime
Well I was at OT in a box yesterday.

What can you say? Food was decent, plenty of booze available.

But really the performance on the pitch was woeful especially in the first half.

It was clear pre season and any training has amounted nothing. Brighton were much better organised than we were in virtually every area of the pitch.

And if I was to rate the managers performance, playing without a striker up front with Rashford fit and available was shameful. It shows he is clearly clueless playing at home with no striker and just a false 9.

Absolutely embarrassing.

Caporegime
Screenshot-20220808-155747-Gallery.jpg

Sad result!

Soldato
Yeah, the Brighton player did a weird two footed jump to get the ball but like you say, it was a 50:50 and there was no intent. It wasn't dangerous or reckless and football is a contact sport.

They have changed the interpretation on handball again this season. They didn't seem to even show it well enough to see if it was a handball on Sky from what I saw. They quickly moved on to check if Maguire had fouled the keeper I think.

If an attacking player’s accidental handball immediately precedes another player scoring, the goal will now be awarded, when last season it was likely to have been ruled out.

However, a player will still be penalised if he commits an accidental handball immediately before scoring himself.

So from that, even if it did hit his arm, he didn't score the goal so it would stand. His arm wasn't in an unnatural position either.

Yeah, it was a penalty any way you look at it. Just stupid. Can't remember if he was already on a yellow at that point.

He was on a yellow already. Got the yellow in the first half.

Soldato
He was terrible in the Prem in the second season. Dennis I’m surprised is still there, he was very good.
Yeah Sarr had a very poor season and probably now isn't worth what Watford would want from him.

Dennis had a decent year and was a good buy by them... but apparently has a few attitude issues. Didn't he refuse to travel to a European game because someone was sitting in his favourite seat on the coach?!

Back
Top Bottom