Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [10th - 12th August 2018]

Caporegime
Looking back on our loss today, it wasn’t as bad as I thought originally.

I’m still pretty hopeful for the upcoming season, we are in a period of transition ie 20 yrs of Wenger and now we have a new manager. So I realise it will take time for things to fall into place.

Our defence still needs a **** load of work to be done. Cech as much as I love him, needs to be sacked off. Leno should be playing next game at the very least ao we can get a good look at him.

Anyhow onto the next game and hopefully we get a better result than today.

Caporegime
Ozil is a waste of space at the moment.

I wouldn't mind selling him and getting the 60 odd million to spend on someone that will actually offer something to the team.
Who would pay £60mill to take Özil off us lol.

At this rate, we wouldn’t even get £1 for him and that’s me being generous:p.

It was a huge massive mistake to give a huge contract extension last year.

But saying that, I do hope he picks his game up soon because on his day, he is a sublime player.

Man of Honour
Two minutes into the second half the commentator said "Ozil a bit tentative there", basically summed up his performance. Even his forward passing in the final third looked lazy at times, which is unusual.

Cech dive for Sterling's goal was weird, didn't even stretch out a hand for it. I'm not saying it was particularly savable but you'd like to think De Gea, Courtois etc could have got fingers on it.

Soldato
I think Arsenal fans needed to see something to be encouraged by, maybe a different formation, a different keeper, Laca/Aub both playing, just something surprising. Instead they got the same formation, work rate and frailties they saw under Wenger, even Ozil etc were just as poor. Literally nothing changed which is probably pretty demoralising for their fans going into the next game.
dont know what game you saw but there was a lot of positives from that like our pressing and at times, our defensive discipline was better.

Caporegime
Same old Arsenal (dross), same old United (more dross), City still bossing it, same old Liverpool + an improved defence and a hot/cold but effective Spurs. That's my 2 cents :p.

Soldato
Looking back on our loss today, it wasn’t as bad as I thought originally.

I’m still pretty hopeful for the upcoming season, we are in a period of transition ie 20 yrs of Wenger and now we have a new manager. So I realise it will take time for things to fall into place.

Our defence still needs a **** load of work to be done. Cech as much as I love him, needs to be sacked off. Leno should be playing next game at the very least ao we can get a good look at him.

Anyhow onto the next game and hopefully we get a better result than today.

We were soundly beaten, but it didn't feel like a total capitulation compared to our meeting(s) last season and heads didn't really dip at any point. Going forward was frustrating and a disappointment but that was a more 'on the day' thing than bigger picture because we know scoring goals isn't going to be a problem; it's going to be not conceding "classic Arsenal, lol" goals, dealing with pressure better, not being prone to conceding immediately after scoring ourselves, having a plan B etc.

I thought maybe we might get something out of the game a couple of weeks ago, but watching the way City nonchalantly brushed Chelsea aside last weekend killed that idea stone dead. Chelsea away might bring a bit more joy because they're in a bit of a weird place themselves but I'm sort of detached from the first handful of games results-wise and am looking more at how the performances build on one-another.

Caporegime
True, like I said it wasn’t all bad. There were a few positives ie Gozy was immense I thought.
Had Bellerin and Laca scored their chances then maybe the game would have been different. But City are just too damn good yet again this season, the only team that I can see giving them a good run is Liverpool at the moment.

I’m just hoping this season we don’t drop too many points against the lower end teams, teams that we were dropping points against last season.

At the very minimum I’d like us to get a top 4 spot and then work from there.

Doesn’t help that our start to the season is pretty tough.

Soldato
Guendozy immense?? He was poor. Completely out of his depth. Basically ran around a lot and made some simple passes...he also made a massive error which should have resulted in a goal as well. I reckon if there was a football metacritic he'd be on a 5.5 - 6 for that performance.

I actually thought City were poor although in fairness they didn't need to get out of second gear really.

Soldato
I am not an Arsenal fan, but I don't think anyone can really read too much into the result against City. City were going to destroy anyone they were playing on that opening game to let their intent be known that they mean business again this season. Emery has got a lot of work ahead of him no doubt and hopefully the fans and the board will see this and give him a few seasons, similar to the slack Klop got at Liverpool. No doubt that ginger moron Durham will be spouting some crap on talk sport drive this evening. If they are still playing garbage in 8 games then he'll need a decent transfer purse for the new year.

Don
I know this is an internet forum but do we always have to deal in extremes? He wasn't awesome nor was he rubbish. He showed a few promising signs that he may become a decent player but equally there was a clear gulf in class between him (and Arsenal in general) and City's midfield. You can't judge anybody after one match and certainly not vs City - although that's where Arsenal want to be, they're a mile behind City and it'll take a long time before they can close that gap, if ever at all.

Back
Top Bottom