Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [11th - 16th August 2017]

Caporegime
Spend enough money, eventually win. One day Liverpool might realise

It's not about spending enough money, it's buying the right players. I think Mourinho could well win the league and I don't think it's because of his quality as a coach, it's simply making the right buys. Lukaku was a no brainer, Everton were smart to buy him everyone else was stupid to let it go this long before buying Lukaku and then Chelsea were too stupid to seal the deal quickly and early. Matic, while I think there are better players it's not so much that Chelsea lost him, it's that they sold him to strengthen a rival and they have a ridiculously small squad. WEll Chelsea actually have one of the biggest squads ever but they loan out 8000 players a season and leave themselves with this tiny pathetic squad, don't rotate and is one of the reasons they seem to burn out and struggle to compete for more than a season or two at a time. For a team that spends so much they have always had so little depth and such unwillingness to rotate or maintain a deeper squad.

City, have a weird squad, will they finally click under Guardiola, maybe, maybe not, buying a bunch of right sided fullbacks and playing one on the wrong side, who knows what will happen there.

Pogba is a good player though a laughable deal as they could have and absolutely should have started playing him when they had a dire central midfield and instead lost him for nothing and spent a ridiculous amount to get him back. Martial only cost £6mil or something they year before Utd spent what up to 10 times that.

Utd spent far more than they needed to, not least including the likes of Di Maria, to end up with the squad they have now.

Utd were decent enough today, commentators wouldn't stop talking about Matic who was good but West Ham were woeful on the ball all over the pitch, they couldn't control it or string two passes together. Utd didn't have to try very hard to win heavily today but the team has most of the right pieces to win the league along with Chelsea making most of the wrong moves in terms of strengthening and deepening their squad.

Caporegime
It's not about spending enough money, it's buying the right players. I think Mourinho could well win the league and I don't think it's because of his quality as a coach, it's simply making the right buys. Lukaku was a no brainer, Everton were smart to buy him everyone else was stupid to let it go this long before buying Lukaku and then Chelsea were too stupid to seal the deal quickly and early. Matic, while I think there are better players it's not so much that Chelsea lost him, it's that they sold him to strengthen a rival and they have a ridiculously small squad. WEll Chelsea actually have one of the biggest squads ever but they loan out 8000 players a season and leave themselves with this tiny pathetic squad, don't rotate and is one of the reasons they seem to burn out and struggle to compete for more than a season or two at a time. For a team that spends so much they have always had so little depth and such unwillingness to rotate or maintain a deeper squad.

City, have a weird squad, will they finally click under Guardiola, maybe, maybe not, buying a bunch of right sided fullbacks and playing one on the wrong side, who knows what will happen there.

Pogba is a good player though a laughable deal as they could have and absolutely should have started playing him when they had a dire central midfield and instead lost him for nothing and spent a ridiculous amount to get him back. Martial only cost £6mil or something they year before Utd spent what up to 10 times that.

Utd spent far more than they needed to, not least including the likes of Di Maria, to end up with the squad they have now.

Utd were decent enough today, commentators wouldn't stop talking about Matic who was good but West Ham were woeful on the ball all over the pitch, they couldn't control it or string two passes together. Utd didn't have to try very hard to win heavily today but the team has most of the right pieces to win the league along with Chelsea making most of the wrong moves in terms of strengthening and deepening their squad.

Sorry I can't be bothered reading it all, but yes you're correct it's buying the right players. However most successful clubs buy a ridiculous amount of rubbish players but they can afford to continue to spend big on others until something sticks

Soldato
Wondering if Lindelof is going to get a similar treatment to Mkhitaryen last season until he's confident with him not even making the bench and all.
Read that he's been a bit flakey in pre-season. Didn't get a chance to watch the games personally.

Soldato
Well that was a very good performance :D Why in gods name did Chelsea sell us Matic? Nevertheless, good for Lukaku to get a couple of goals, same with pogba scoring, but, first game at home against WHU. 37 games to go yet :)

Soldato
The sad and depressing thing is a decent amount of our fanbase have lapped it up and are sympathising with him. 'We can't compete with Man City' - Yeah, no ****. The market is crazy right now and prices are ridiculous but even Brighton and Huddersfield are outspending us and already have the players they need/want.

I get your general point about Newcastle's transfer activity. However, it's incorrect to say that we already have the players that we need/want! We definitely need to strengthen our forward line as evidenced by our lack of attacking intent against Man City.

Soldato
I get your general point about Newcastle's transfer activity. However, it's incorrect to say that we already have the players that we need/want! We definitely need to strengthen our forward line as evidenced by our lack of attacking intent against Man City.

Not gonna lie, I was speculating. Wasn't expecting an actual Brighton fan to pull me up on it. :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
I do think most of the issues are media constructs based on Chelsea losing their first game of the season.

Costa issue is a bit odd but there is clearly more to this. I assume conte sees him as a negative influence on the team and he seems to be a fairly strict manager so doesn't think he is worth the bother. I think Morata is going to be a better striker than Costa for Chelsea anyway. If they had played him from the start on Saturday Chelsea almost certainly would have won the game.

Back
Top Bottom