Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [17th - 22nd August 2018]

Soldato
It's a contact sport, brushing someone's ankle shouldn't be a foul, that definitely wouldn't have made me fall over.

I'm not saying it wasn't a red just wondering what the actual rules were in that situation.

Don
He didn't brush his ankles though. He's kicked at his ankles multiple times. There's a massive difference between natural conact between two players and a defender tripping an attacker.

As for the red card. He doesn't need to be in control of the ball as such - the rule is simply whether the foul denies a clear goalscoring opportunity. With the benefit of super slow motion replays we can see that Salah's touch is a fraction of a second before the foul and he may not have reached the ball but I think it's nigh on impossible for the ref not to give a red there. From the angle he's looking at all he can see is Salah ahead of the defender and the trip - he's not likely to have seen that the touch was just before the foul, the weight of the touch relative to how quick Salah's moving etc.

Don
The red would have. There's no way it could be argued that was a clear and obvious mistake. We'd have just wasted 5 minutes looking at it.

Soldato
It's a contact sport, brushing someone's ankle shouldn't be a foul, that definitely wouldn't have made me fall over.

I'm not saying it wasn't a red just wondering what the actual rules were in that situation.

But you can have fouls without players needing to fall over. It's a contact sport in that you can have players jostling, going shoulder to shoulder, and to an extent clashing following a fair tackle. You cannot, however, have players kicking each other and judge whether it's a foul or not based on whether somebody falls over. It was a foul on Salah - whether he fell over or not is irrelevant.

Don
You can but I don't think that justified it, think it was far too soft.
Are you referring to what you think a foul should be or what the rules state? The rules are clear - tripping or attempting to trip an opponent is a foul. I'm not sure how it could be interpretted that Sakho didn't trip or attempt to trip Salah.

Soldato
I think Sakho missed the ball and caught Salah very gently on the first contact and the second one was Salah treading on Sakho. Being caught like he was does not constitute a trip in my opinion. There was neither enough force or movement of Salah's foot to cause it.

Associate
I think Sakho missed the ball and caught Salah very gently on the first contact and the second one was Salah treading on Sakho. Being caught like he was does not constitute a trip in my opinion. There was neither enough force or movement of Salah's foot to cause it.
Salah is trying to get a shot off at the time, not exactly fair to let defenders kick at your ankles and stick legs or feet between the player and ball as they're shooting obstructing them and denying an opportunity.

It's weak but if a player was doing it out at midfield it would be a foul so players go down in the box to force the ref to make the decision. Sakho continuely does this so not exactly the first time he's clumsly kicked out with his giraffe legs in the box.

Soldato
I'm a Liverpool supporter and I think it's probably a dive. However all you ever hear from pundits and fans about penalty decisions is' well there was contact'. Often players don't receive enough contact to actually make them go down but they do so to make sure they get the penalty yet it isn't questioned.

Soldato
We looked good despite losing last night. I expect Palace to beat every team outside the top 6 to be honest. We should be easily in top 10 at the end of the season if we continue as we've started

I agree :)

I'm a Liverpool supporter and I think it's probably a dive. However all you ever hear from pundits and fans about penalty decisions is' well there was contact'. Often players don't receive enough contact to actually make them go down but they do so to make sure they get the penalty yet it isn't questioned.

He did whip his head back and make it looks worse than it was - But I do think it was a penalty. I know if it was a Palace player that went down, I'd be wanting a penalty from it.

Caporegime
Gotta admit I have a new found respect for G Nev on MNF last night, having watched him tear Carra the spitter a new one regarding Unai Emery and what he is trying to do at Arsenal. Finished him off with G Nev calling him a prehistoric dinosaur lol:p.

I’m glad Emery had the balls to sub Ozil off over the weekend, he was absolutely rubbish and non existent. If that was Wenger, he would have never ever subbed him off. Ozil needs to fix up his game, if he doesn’t I can see Emery benching him for future games.

Soldato
I think there were some positive signs for Arsenal vs Chelsea - they could have easily been 4-2 up at half time - and it's mad to dismiss a manager's tactics after only two games, it's bound to take some time for the players to fully adjust to the type of football Emery wants to play. The next eight games for Arsenal are all very winnable and I wouldn't be surprised if they start putting together some good performances and shutting up the likes of Carragher.

Permabanned
Gotta admit I have a new found respect for G Nev on MNF last night, having watched him tear Carra the spitter a new one regarding Unai Emery and what he is trying to do at Arsenal. Finished him off with G Nev calling him a prehistoric dinosaur lol:p.

I’m glad Emery had the balls to sub Ozil off over the weekend, he was absolutely rubbish and non existent. If that was Wenger, he would have never ever subbed him off. Ozil needs to fix up his game, if he doesn’t I can see Emery benching him for future games.

They both had good points yet Neville contradicted himself quite a bit.

Don
He didn't just contradict himself but some of what he said was simply wrong. He used Klopp as an example of a manager that doesn't adapt and has just a plan A when in actual fact he's done exactly what Carragher was saying. We didn't have the players to play a high line, pass the ball out from the back or play the high tempo, flexible attacking game that we play now. When Klopp first took over we were playing with Milner on the right of a 4-2-3-1, getting crosses in the box for Origi. Klopp adapted his ideas in the short-term, gradually introducing more and more of his ideas as and when we had the players to do it.

Soldato
I can see what both pundits are saying, but I don't think there's massive pressure on Emery to finish top four this season. I agree with Neville that he'll probably end up finishing fifth or sixth with Arsenal while he gets the squad more used to his style of football and then given another transfer window he'll look to sign a few more and push on. Klopp and Pep only managed eighth and fourth respectively in their first season and presumably during that time were gradually introducing the style of football they really wanted to play.

Maybe Emery should be more pragmatic and play a different style of football in certain games, but I sort of admire the fact that he's sticking to his philosophy and the criticism of him in the press is ridiculous imo, given that he's played City and Chelsea, and Arsenal very nearly got something out of the game against Chelsea.

Soldato
I can see what both pundits are saying, but I don't think there's massive pressure on Emery to finish top four this season. I agree with Neville that he'll probably end up finishing fifth or sixth with Arsenal while he gets the squad more used to his style of football and then given another transfer window he'll look to sign a few more and push on. Klopp and Pep only managed eighth and fourth respectively in their first season and presumably during that time were gradually introducing the style of football they really wanted to play.

Maybe Emery should be more pragmatic and play a different style of football in certain games, but I sort of admire the fact that he's sticking to his philosophy and the criticism of him in the press is ridiculous imo, given that he's played City and Chelsea, and Arsenal very nearly got something out of the game against Chelsea.
Exactly City would have smashed anyone else and many would struggle at Stamford Bridge

Back
Top Bottom