Fixtures on Sky:
wda55RW.png
TV:
CThLtsu.png wda55RW.png
Radio:
Tables:
wda55RW.png

Don
The linesman didn't flag and most people would have been happy with it being allowed (looked level to the eye). VAR seems to be the one most at odds with fans it should just be used for howlers.
Why do people keep saying these things? It's not VAR, it's the rules! The rules state that is offside. You cannot use VAR and then not make correct decisions. You don't like the offside law, that's the issue here.

Soldato
The linesman didn't flag and most people would have been happy with it being allowed (looked level to the eye). VAR seems to be the one most at odds with fans it should just be used for howlers.

For me Var is simply helping to enforce the offside rule. Why not simply go back to the ‘in the opinion of the referee’? Be less consistency but it seems some don’t like that :p

Soldato
Why do people keep saying these things? It's not VAR, it's the rules! The rules state that is offside. You cannot use VAR and then not make correct decisions. You don't like the offside law, that's the issue here.
We just need to update the rules to 'the attacking player is considered onside if he is vaguely* level with the second to last defending player' *level of vagueness to change game by game, official by official, lack of consistency in decisions guaranteed

:p

Don
But I don't think they can honestly say with confidence that's offside? Or are the BBC sharing the wrong image?

Edit:
https://twitter.com/btsportfootball...://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50238204

The reference lines aren't even drawn in the same position of the line across the pitch

Soldato
Yeah, offside is offside, same for everybody.

Seems that people just don't like having goals ruled offside, especially when scored by a team they support. Quelle surprise.

But I don't think they can honestly say with confidence that's offside? Or are the BBC sharing the wrong image?

They can't. That's because they're still working on the tech and so they should be cos it's crap. However, the methods and tech they're using is the same for everybody and is likely more accurate than a linesman.

Don
You can say with a far greater deal of confidence that it's offside than the linesman can say it's onside. You have to remember that we see images that are not 100% in line with the last defender, the hawkeye tech is caliberated so that camera angles are factored in. VAR then widens the offside lines so they're more clear on TV. Both these things make the images we see appear much closer than they actually are.
Whatever happened to the referee's decision shall not be changed unless there is a clear and obvious error?
This was never the case for offsides. However due to the constant complaining it's possible it will be introduced and we're going to end up spending 3-4 minutes looking at a replay, deciding it's wrong but close and then sticking with the onfield decision. I can't wait for that to happen and the wrong decision ends up relegating somebody. I'm sure their supporters will love that.

Soldato
Whatever happened to the referee's decision shall not be changed unless there is a clear and obvious error? If you have to 20x zoom on someone's heel then it's not ******* obvious.

Doesn't apply to 'matter of fact' elements like onside/offside.

'Clear and Obvious' only relates to subjective errors.

IFAB are expected to issue guidance in February suggesting this is expanded to all elements of VAR usage.

Don
You can say with a far greater deal of confidence that it's offside than the linesman can say it's onside. You have to remember that we see images that are not 100% in line with the last defender, the hawkeye tech is caliberated so that camera angles are factored in. VAR then widens the offside lines so they're more clear on TV. Both these things make the images we see appear much closer than they actually are.

This was never the case for offsides. However due to the constant complaining it's possible it will be introduced and we're going to end up spending 3-4 minutes looking at a replay, deciding it's wrong but close and then sticking with the onfield decision. I can't wait for that to happen and the wrong decision ends up relegating somebody. I'm sure their supporters will love that.
But the whole point is, if they aren't confident they shouldn't be giving a foul for that - it's not clear he's in an offside position and he certainly didn't get a sporting advantage from it.

Edit: Also, it's not an automatic system like hawkeye, it's still reliant on referees interpreting the video footage isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom